Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"go, sell all that you have and give to the poor..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "go, sell all that you have and give to the poor..."

Such is the advice Jesus offers the rich man who wants to inherit eternal life.

How can that injunction can be justified by the tax free millionaire lifestyles enjoyed by several religious leaders/pastors in the USA?

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other...20/ar-BB10WK2P

Kenneth Copeland - $300 million

His ministry is majorly done through television, books, DVDs and CDs. Copeland has been clouded with controversy related to his wealth and the reliance on church funds to support his lifestyle. The preacher has three private jets which he uses for trips to resorts and personal vacations.

Pat Robertson - $100 million

He is the founder and CEO of the Christian Coalition, which is a Christian Right organization that raises money and public support for conservative political candidates.

Creflo Dollar - $27 million

The pastor does not shy from showcasing his wealth as he is the proud owner of two Rolls-Royces, a million-dollar house, a private jet and several other assets in the US.

Rick Warren - $25 million

Rick Warren is the founder of the Saddleback Church located in Lake Forest, California. It is one of the largest churches in America that averages a weekly attendance of 20,000 people. It has resulted in the pastor making a lot of money through church donations. Also, he is an author who is enthusiastic about religion, uplifting the poor and the promotion of education.

And why do so many American Christians give their money to these individuals and others like them?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

We were warned about wolves in sheep's clothing infiltrating the flock and these fleecers are an example of just that.

Next.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      We were warned about wolves in sheep's clothing infiltrating the flock and these fleecers are an example of just that.

Next.
      And as I've pointed out, three times now, I don't believe any Christians on this site would agree with what these wolves are doing.

HA is determined to have her own way on this issue, and it's not going to happen.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

And as I've pointed out, three times now, I don't believe any Christians on this site would agree with what these wolves are doing.

HA is determined to have her own way on this issue, and it's not going to happen.
        She has not-so-subtly hinted at her own prejudices:

For example:

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        My own views on religion not withstanding, this is true humanity.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...are-protesters

Comment

How can that injunction can be justified by the tax free millionaire lifestyles enjoyed by several religious leaders/pastors in the USA?
          I doubt you're going to find anybody here who will defend people getting rich from ostensibly preaching the gospel. In fact, there are quite a number of other folks you could have listed like Joyce Meyer, Joel Olsteen, your personal hero Beth Moore, and even less well known folks like Rod Parsley and John Hagee (both of whom are worth "mere" millions rather than hundreds of millions). And of course there are the "classics" like Benny Hinn, Oral Roberts, and Robert Tilton (great line from the song "Cash Cow" by Steve Taylor: "The golden Cash Cow had a body like the great cows of ancient Egypt, and a face like the face of Robert Tilton (without the horns)."

And why do so many American Christians give their money to these individuals and others like them?
          The same reason anybody gives money to a con artist (like Black Lives Matter, or buying "carbon credits" from Al Gore), although the Bible does say that those who use their positions as teachers to lead others astray will be subjected to a harsher judgement.

Scripture Verse: James 3:1

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-13-2021, 11:05 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other...20/ar-BB10WK2P

Kenneth Copeland - $300 million

His ministry is majorly done through television, books, DVDs and CDs. Copeland has been clouded with controversy related to his wealth and the reliance on church funds to support his lifestyle. The preacher has three private jets which he uses for trips to resorts and personal vacations.

Pat Robertson - $100 million

He is the founder and CEO of the Christian Coalition, which is a Christian Right organization that raises money and public support for conservative political candidates.

Creflo Dollar - $27 million

The pastor does not shy from showcasing his wealth as he is the proud owner of two Rolls-Royces, a million-dollar house, a private jet and several other assets in the US.

Rick Warren - $25 million

Rick Warren is the founder of the Saddleback Church located in Lake Forest, California. It is one of the largest churches in America that averages a weekly attendance of 20,000 people. It has resulted in the pastor making a lot of money through church donations. Also, he is an author who is enthusiastic about religion, uplifting the poor and the promotion of education.

Grifters always target those that are most vulnerable. This is common in every religion and cult (heck, just look at BLM) where belief/adherence to a doctrine is central.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

She has not-so-subtly hinted at her own prejudices:

Re that Guardian article here https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...are-protesters, what point are you trying to make?

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Re that Guardian article here https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...are-protesters, what point are you trying to make?
                I stated it clearly, you have subtly (and not so subtly) hinted about your own anti-Christian/religious prejudices/bigotry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I doubt you're going to find anybody here who will defend people getting rich from ostensibly preaching the gospel.
                  I have just looked at the list of members and there are 68 pages at 10 names per page [not all members are of course Christian] so the Christians here are not particularly representative of the millions of Christians within the USA plenty of whom must finance these people directly or indirectly in order for them to enjoy their lifestyles.

Oh and please try to be a little more grown up. Beth Moore is not my "personal hero" such remarks are suggestive of a play-yard taunt by a nine year old.

In fact, there are quite a number of other folks you could have listed
                  I just used one site although I found others. Your song reference reminds me of this track from Genesis.

https://youtu.be/35K6vQRt67g
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I stated it clearly, you have subtly (and not so subtly) hinted about your own anti-Christian/religious prejudices/bigotry.
                    I think that nun was putting into effect the words found at John 15.13 "No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends". She was offering herself, to spare the children.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have just looked at the list of members and there are 68 pages at 10 names per page [not all members are of course Christian] so the Christians here are not particularly representative of the millions of Christians within the USA plenty of whom must finance these people directly or indirectly in order for them to enjoy their lifestyles.
                      When I said "here", I meant among tWeb regulars and not "here in the United States". Obviously there are people in the US and around the world who do support these charlatans because where else would they get their money?

Beth Moore is not my "personal hero"...
                      Could have fooled me given the lengths you went to defend her in your other thread.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I think that nun was putting into effect the words found at John 15.13 "No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends". She was offering herself, to spare the children.
                        Oh, the Nun was great. It was your own admission of "My own views on religion not withstanding." You know, something you wouldn't post unless your views normally stood opposed to the praise you just gave.

Comment

When I said "here", I meant among tWeb regulars and not "here in the United States".
                          And as I remarked those who post here are not representative of Christians within the USA.

Could have fooled me given the lengths you went to defend her
                          I felt she made some valid points.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And as I remarked those who post here are not representative of Christians within the USA.

Well, you go and drum up a few million of those other Christians to give you their opinions here, since all you have right now are the believers on this site.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's really unfortunate that HA completely misses the point of the message Jesus was giving to the rich young ruler.

The lesson was that the love of wealth was stronger in him than any desire to serve the Lord he may have had. Jesus was showing that the young man loved his riches more than he loved his neighbours. And since he wouldn't submit to the Lordship of Christ no matter what was asked of him, he wouldn't acknowledge his sin and repent, so he wouldn't submit to the Saviour.

Jesus was neither making philanthropy nor poverty a requirement for salvation,

Comment