Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"go, sell all that you have and give to the poor..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

And I gave you a comprehensible answer in my first reply to your question.
    No, you didn't. You played word games in order to mislead me.

Comment

If standard English defeats you, you have my sincere condolences.
      It depends on what the meaning of is is.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

No you didn't. You played games. You implied that you had read the bible all the way through, only to admit later that you did not. For someone who has spent several threads complaining about rogue not answering your questions, you are remarkably good at not answering questions yourself. Which again, reinforces my belief that all of this is nothing but trolling and sealioning. This is why nobody takes you seriously. You are just a distraction.
        And now gaslighting. She's going to insist that she answered in full and didn't try to slough off a half-answer deliberately designed to deceive when anyone can go back and see what she did.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You wrote this:Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          By the way Hypatia, I don't think you ever answered MY question directly. Have you ever just read the bible all the way through? Or do you just read books about the bible and read a verse here and there?

I replied with this: I have read the Luther bible, the New Jerusalem Bible, the NRSV, NIV, and the Christian and Jewish Apocrypha. However, not all at the same time and not in one sitting.

In what precise way do you find my words in that reply to be either misleading or involving "word games"?

"It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

You don't read replies either do you?

How is this misleading you?

I have read the Luther bible, the New Jerusalem Bible, the NRSV, NIV, and the Christian and Jewish Apocrypha. However, not all at the same time and not in one sitting.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You wrote this:Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              By the way Hypatia, I don't think you ever answered MY question directly. Have you ever just read the bible all the way through? Or do you just read books about the bible and read a verse here and there?

I replied with this: I have read the Luther bible, the New Jerusalem Bible, the NRSV, NIV, and the Christian and Jewish Apocrypha. However, not all at the same time and not in one sitting.

In what precise way do you find my words in that reply to be either misleading or involving "word games"?
              And when pressed you admitted you have never read any of them from start to finish, even though you try to imply you did in your answer above. You even tacked on "not at the same time and in one sitting" even though I never put those conditions on it as an attempt to give more credence to your former implication that you had read it from beginning to end.

Hypatia, your whining is not changing the facts that everyone can see. You knew exactly what I was asking and you had not done it, yet you tried to make it look as if you had. That's misleading. One could almost call it a lie. Shame on you.

Comment

And when pressed you admitted you have never read any of them from start to finish, even though you try to imply you did in your answer above. You even tacked on "not at the same time and in one sitting" even though I never put those conditions on it as an attempt to give more credence to your former implication that you had read it from beginning to end.

Hypatia, your whining is not changing the facts that everyone can see. You knew exactly what I was asking and you had not done it, yet you tried to make it look as if you had. That's misleading. One could almost call it a lie. Shame on you.
                You later asked at post #752 [on my screen] "I mean all the way through, from start to finish, Genesis through Revelation, like you would any other book,"

From that I inferred you were enquiring if I had decided to sit down one afternoon and open the particular bible at Genesis 1 and close it some time later in the evening after finishing Revelation 22.

Hence my reply to that question at post # 756 [on my screen] included this "no I have never decided to sit down and read the different versions in that way, the content is hardly the most thrilling read in some sections."

I then stated in that same reply "However, I have read the books in the various bibles. Why your desperation in needing to know?"

What is misleading or employing "word games" in that reply?

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You later asked at post #752 [on my screen] "I mean all the way through, from start to finish, Genesis through Revelation, like you would any other book,"

From that I inferred you were enquiring if I had decided to sit down one afternoon and open the particular bible at Genesis 1 and close it some time later in the evening after finishing Revelation 22.

Hence my reply to that question at post # 756 [on my screen] included this "no I have never decided to sit down and read the different versions in that way, the content is hardly the most thrilling read in some sections."

I then stated in that same reply "However, I have read the books in the various bibles. Why your desperation in needing to know?"

What is misleading or employing "word games" in that reply?

Because it was obvious what I was asking Hypatia. You seem to not understand context when you don't want to. Selective reading?

I said:

Have you ever just read the bible all the way through? Or do you just read books about the bible and read a verse here and there?

The second sentence explains that I mean all the way through from start to finish as opposed to reading bits and pieces, which you later admitted was the case. "All" means completely.

Playing dumb now just makes you look like an idiot. I thought you were supposed to be so much smarter than the rest of us? Yet when you want to troll, you act very stupid.

Comment

Purely for information, why do you ask?
                    I am aware of a number of collections of such works, no two of which contain the exact same set of documents. Merely saying that you've read "the Christian and Jewish Apocrypha" is unhelpfully vague.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I am aware of a number of collections of such works, no two of which contain the exact same set of documents. Merely saying that you've read "the Christian and Jewish Apocrypha" is unhelpfully vague.
                      I'm assuming you noticed that when you asked "Which collection(s) of the "Christian and Jewish Apocrypha" have you read?" that you received a total non-answer.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      Purely for information, why do you ask?

It is pretty clear that you did not ask why did you read them but "Which collection(s) of the "Christian and Jewish Apocrypha" have you read?"

Comment

Because it was obvious what I was asking Hypatia. You seem to not understand context when you don't want to. Selective reading?

I said:

Have you ever just read the bible all the way through? Or do you just read books about the bible and read a verse here and there?

The second sentence explains that I mean all the way through from start to finish as opposed to reading bits and pieces, which you later admitted was the case. "All" means completely.

Playing dumb now just makes you look like an idiot. I thought you were supposed to be so much smarter than the rest of us? Yet when you want to troll, you act very stupid.

You forget I can only respond to what you write not what is going in your head.

However, yes I have read every book in those respective bibles but straight through from Genesis to Revelation and not in one sitting.

Now does that answer your pointless question?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Well I do not have all the texts on my shelves. However, over the course of many years I have obtained editions dealing with various texts from libraries bearing in mind that some of these texts only exist in fragments.

I also have a couple of collections; Apocalypse of Peter, Acts of Paul and Thecla, and Apocryphal Acts of Thomas. In an OUP edition of the NRSV on my shelf, the Jewish Apocrypha are included. I also have various texts that assess and examine these documents.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well I do not have all the texts on my shelves. However, over the course of many years I have obtained editions dealing with various texts from libraries bearing in mind that some of these texts only exist in fragments.

I also have a couple of collections; Apocalypse of Peter, Acts of Paul and Thecla, and Apocryphal Acts of Thomas. In an OUP edition of the NRSV on my shelf, the Jewish Apocrypha are included. I also have various texts that assess and examine these documents.
                            That's a lot - may I ask why? Just curious, is it work related, or a hobby?

Nothing wrong with the accumulation of knowledge, and it is in fact to be applauded, but I'm wondering

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

That's a lot - may I ask why? Just curious, is it work related, or a hobby?

Nothing wrong with the accumulation of knowledge, and it is in fact to be applauded, but I'm wondering
                              They form part of my secondary area of interest. I'd also point out that some of them are quite hilarious. Do read the Acts of Peter if you want a laugh. Or indeed Paul and Thecla.

The Infancy Gospel of Thomas also gives us a childhood portrayal of Jesus child that is somewhat different! In that we have a child who kills and blinds people if they upset him.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You forget I can only respond to what you write not what is going in your head.

However, yes I have read every book in those respective bibles but straight through from Genesis to Revelation and not in one sitting.

Now does that answer your pointless question?
                                It wasn't pointless. It exposed and spotlighted your trolling and gaslighting techniques for all to see and served it's purpose well. Thanks.

Comment