Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"go, sell all that you have and give to the poor..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Oh - it's not uncommon for people to think that everyone is just like themselves.
    That reads as something of a "back-hander" to rogue06
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I have read the Luther bible, the New Jerusalem Bible, the NRSV, NIV, and the Christian and Jewish Apocrypha. However, not all at the same time and not in one sitting.
      I mean all the way through, from start to finish, Genesis through Revelation, like you would any other book, as opposed to just looking up bits here and there. Not in one sitting (you would be impressive if you could do that!) but over whatever period. Maybe reading one book at a time, but going from start to end in order. That is what I am asking. So, have you?

Comment

If you read my reply concerning reading the bible you have the answer to your question.
        Given all of the continuing avoidance (my questions arise directly from your "answer.") I guess that for whatever reason you cannot answer directly.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That reads as something of a "back-hander" to rogue06
          Back to your game of trying to play posters off against each other so soon?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I mean all the way through, from start to finish, Genesis through Revelation, like you would any other book, as opposed to just looking up bits here and there. Not in one sitting (you would be impressive if you could do that!) but over whatever period. Maybe reading one book at a time, but going from start to end in order. That is what I am asking. So, have you?
            Virtually everyone who says they've "read" the Bible have done the here and there bit. Sort of like a Sunday School lesson (turn to Job 3: whatever ... now turn to I Corinthians chapter etc.). Very few bother to read it cover to cover. And most of those confess to having skimmed or skipped through the begats.

My grandmother couldn't sleep, no matter how tired she was until she read from the Bible. She read it through cover to cover multiple times. I picked up the habit from her. I've read it through -- including all of the begats -- a couple times but haven't done so for many years now.

Maybe I should start again

Comment

I mean all the way through, from start to finish, Genesis through Revelation, like you would any other book,
              Well being pedantic it is a collection books and no I have never decided to sit down and read the different versions in that way, the content is hardly the most thrilling read in some sections.

However, I have read the books in the various bibles. Why your desperation in needing to know?

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Virtually everyone who says they've "read" the Bible have done the here and there bit. Sort of like a Sunday School lesson (turn to Job 3: whatever ... now turn to I Corinthians chapter etc.). Very few bother to read it cover to cover. And most of those confess to having skimmed or skipped through the begats.

My grandmother couldn't sleep, no matter how tired she was until she read from the Bible. She read it through cover to cover multiple times. I picked up the habit from her. I've read it through -- including all of the begats -- a couple times but haven't done so for many years now.

Maybe I should start again
                I will admit to skimming through the OT begats I have read the whole thing through a couple of times, and the NT through 3 or so times. And listened to the bible on Audiobook twice all the way through (fast forwarding through the OT begats again)

I found that reading it from start to finish in a fairly short amount of time really helps with comprehension and context. Reading it haphazard or over a long time ends up you not remembering many of the references and seeing how it all fits together, especially the prophesies. It is obvious that although written by many authors over centuries, that the bible is a comprehensive volume and not just disparate texts cobbled together as H_A seems to treat it like. Which is why I asked her in the first place if she had read it all the way through from start to finish.

She seems to not want to answer directly for some reason. It's much easier to type "Yes" or "No" than "see my previous answer"

Comment

Well being pedantic it is a collection books and no I have never decided to sit down and read the different versions in that way, the content is hardly the most thrilling read in some sections.
                  Was that so hard to say?

However, I have read the books in the various bibles. Why your desperation in needing to know?
                  1. see my answer in my last post to rogue. https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...77#post1280777 (which your answer above confirms my suspicions)
                  2. To watch you dodge answering my question after you have spent several threads complaining that rogue wouldn't answer yours.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Back to your game of trying to play posters off against each other so soon?
                    It was the way it was phrased that amused me.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Was that so hard to say?
                      I assumed my initial was adequate. I was not aware you were playing the Grand Inquisitor putting me to the question

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      1. see my answer in my last post to rogue.
                      2. To watch you dodge answering my question after you have spent several threads complaining that rogue wouldn't answer yours.

What precisely are you fishing for?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I assumed my initial was adequate. I was not aware you were playing the Grand Inquisitor putting me to the question

What precisely are you fishing for?
                        I literally just told you.

Comment

I literally just told you.

I answered you question with my first reply.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It was the way it was phrased that amused me.
                            What excuse will you have the next time? And the next? And the time after that?

Comment

I will admit to skimming through the OT begats I have read the whole thing through a couple of times, and the NT through 3 or so times. And listened to the bible on Audiobook twice all the way through (fast forwarding through the OT begats again)

I found that reading it from start to finish in a fairly short amount of time really helps with comprehension and context. Reading it haphazard or over a long time ends up you not remembering many of the references and seeing how it all fits together, especially the prophesies. It is obvious that although written by many authors over centuries, that the bible is a comprehensive volume and not just disparate texts cobbled together as H_A seems to treat it like. Which is why I asked her in the first place if she had read it all the way through from start to finish.

She seems to not want to answer directly for some reason. It's much easier to type "Yes" or "No" than "see my previous answer"
                              In full disclosure, I only read through all of the begats the first time and skimmed them the next two times (didn't make it all the way through the Bible the third time)

Comment

I answered you question with my first reply.
                                No you didn't. You played games. You implied that you had read the bible all the way through, only to admit later that you did not. For someone who has spent several threads complaining about rogue not answering your questions, you are remarkably good at not answering questions yourself. Which again, reinforces my belief that all of this is nothing but trolling and sealioning. This is why nobody takes you seriously. You are just a distraction.

Comment