Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"go, sell all that you have and give to the poor..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe Richard Pervert is the Einstein of Biblical scholarship.
    He was a leading scholar on particular NT texts and is remembered as such.

You appear to consider that a person's achievements in their respective field should be dismissed because of their personal life or behaviours. That is a ludicrous position to adopt, in my opinion.

I have ignored the rest of your post because you appear unable to offer comment without resorting to puerility.

If you wish to seriously address the topic in the manner of a rational grown-up and not in the guise of a thirteen year-old in the school yard I recommend you change your tone.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It is a difference between the secular world and the religious one.
      Does that exclude Ted Haggard, Jerry Falwell Jnr, Jim Bakker, and Jimmy Swaggart [just to name a few]?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        I have ignored the rest of your post because [that's what I do when I don't have a good counterargument].
        Edited for accuracy.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Why should it? Are you going to denounce the importance and value of Einstein's work because he was loathsome husband and father?

Newton was also an extremely unpleasant man being, on occasion, both cruelly vindictive and spiteful. Perhaps you should reject Newtonian physics as well!
          The Science of physics and a scientist's personal morality (excepting a few areas like personal integrity wrt the scientific work itself or the willingness to devolop horrible weapons ) are orthogonal. Personal morality and Christian faith simply are not, they are fully interconnected.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Here's another sample of her variations....from a day or so ago.
            And there was a new variation "I have ignored the rest of your post" -- but she sure gets miffed when someone won't keep answering her incessant questions that are typically designed to distract and derail the thread sending it down rabbit holes arguing about irrelevant minutia.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And there was a new variation "I have ignored the rest of your post" -- but she sure gets miffed when someone won't keep answering her incessant questions that are typically designed to distract and derail the thread sending it down rabbit holes arguing about irrelevant minutia.
              This sort of ganging up on a person and taking derogatory and denigrating potshots about them at length as if they are not there is pubescent and potentially cruel.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

There's a habit of chopping up a single connected paragraph into chuncks, and then acting like they are in isolation.

My favorite one so far, is I've had her chop up and remove a post, only to ask a question that was actually answered in the parts of the post she cut out.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

This sort of ganging up on a person and taking derogatory and denigrating potshots about them at length as if they are not there is pubescent and potentially cruel.
                  When multiple people from different ends of various spectrums observe the same thing the problem is not likely with the commentators.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Does that exclude Ted Haggard, Jerry Falwell Jnr, Jim Bakker, and Jimmy Swaggart [just to name a few]?
                    I am not sure what kind of "gotcha" you think you have there, since you keep repeating it, but it backfired.

We soundly condemn Christian leaders who "talk the talk, but don't walk the walk" - those that lie, cheat, have affairs, while preaching the gospel. They need to be removed from their positions and repent. Even after repenting, they should never hold a position of leadership in the church ever again. And the bible says that teachers and leaders will be judged by a harsher standard also. See 1 Timothy 3.

Last edited by Sparko; 06-16-2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

There's a habit of chopping up a single connected paragraph into chuncks, and then acting like they are in isolation.

My favorite one so far, is I've had her chop up and remove a post, only to ask a question that was actually answered in the parts of the post she cut out.
                      I'll do the same, especially with longer posts, so as to address it point by point.

Comment

I'll do the same, especially with longer posts, so as to address it point by point.
                        It takes a bit to read for comprehension first. You have to be able to understand if parts of it go together. Your talking about breaking multiple points up, but when multiple sentences go together building or explaining a single point, breaking those up is dumb, as they aren't written to be broken into separate entities.

Comment

Why should it? Are you going to denounce the importance and value of Einstein's work because he was loathsome husband and father?

Newton was also an extremely unpleasant man being, on occasion, both cruelly vindictive and spiteful. Perhaps you should reject Newtonian physics as well!
                          Then why are you bringing up Falwell and Haggard? Why are you bringing up any of the false preachers and the money they rake in from the gullible, because according to your reasoning, their horrible lives don't affect their message?

You are too stupid for words.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

He was a leading scholar on particular NT texts and is remembered as such.

You appear to consider that a person's achievements in their respective field should be dismissed because of their personal life or behaviours. That is a ludicrous position to adopt, in my opinion.

I have ignored the rest of your post because you appear unable to offer comment without resorting to puerility.

If you wish to seriously address the topic in the manner of a rational grown-up and not in the guise of a thirteen year-old in the school yard I recommend you change your tone.
                            Your opinion matters not at all to God, and what He has stated in His word. It has nothing to do with a person's achievements, but if one claims to be a believer in Jesus Christ then their lives should reflect that. One can achieve much in the eyes of the ungodly and still it counts as nothing to God.

Your opinion doesn't matter much to the believers here, either.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It takes a bit to read for comprehension first. You have to be able to understand if parts of it go together. Your talking about breaking multiple points up, but when multiple sentences go together building or explaining a single point, breaking those up is dumb, as they aren't written to be broken into separate entities.
                              Carpedm used to do that too. Rather than making a response clearer, it serves to make reading the responses more confusing, and replying to THAT post nearly impossible, especially when the first set of responses to the split up sentences is just a terse word or phrase.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I am not sure what kind of "gotcha" you think you have there, since you keep repeating it, but it backfired.

We soundly condemn Christian leaders who "talk the talk, but don't walk the walk" - those that lie, cheat, have affairs, while preaching the gospel. They need to be removed from their positions and repent. Even after repenting, they should never hold a position of leadership in the church ever again. And the bible says that teachers and leaders will be judged by a harsher standard also. See 1 Timothy 3.

I think there can be a path for reconciliation and restoration in some cases. But it shouldn't be easy just because even if a person is truly repentant there are still reasons that led to the problem that need to be resolved.

In my experience- though it is not by any means extensive- persons that are truly repentant will accept their 'penance' as it were, and those that are not will take offense at the idea it is necessary and walk away.

Comment