Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrats, Republicans and the "n-word"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Some valid corroboration would be useful.

Or is this another instance of your unsupported opinion masquerading as attested fact?

Source: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/snopes/

Bias

According to research performed by Real Clear Politics in the article: Snopes and Editorializing Fact Checks, they determined that out of the six fact-checkers working with Facebook, “that Snopes is the least likely to fact-check matters of opinion.” This is important because opinion is something that cannot be fact-checked. The article went on to say, “We have found that since we started our project, Snopes has fact-checked opinions only 2 percent of the time. In other words, 98 percent of the time, it sticks to matters of verifiable fact. Such an achievement is even more remarkable given that during this period, they produced the second-most articles of the six fact-checking outfits.”

In 2021, Snopes’ fact-checks remain properly sourced and factual. We have also found a reasonable balance between fact checks on the right and left as a new Democratic administration makes statements subject to fact-checking.

Finally, the Snopes website also features news reports from other sources such as the Associated Press. From an editorial perspective, the news stories they choose to publish are slightly more favorable to the left, such as this: Founders: Removal from office is not the only purpose of impeachment. This story is republished from The Conversation. Original reporting such as this Is Trump Withdrawing Deportation Protections for Families of Active Troops? is low biased, factual, and properly sourced to left-leaning sources such as NPR and the New York Times as well as Government sources. In general, their original reporting and news curation hold a left-of-center bias.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: https://www.allsides.com/news-source/snopes

AllSides conducted an editorial review of Snopes on June 2, 2020. We concluded that Snopes warrants a Center rating, though most on the team acknowledged that Snopes may have a slight Lean Left bias.

AllSides noted that Snopes doesn't craft headlines as "gotcha!" phrases like other fact checkers do, but instead always poses headlines as a question, which is a more neutral way of addressing claims.

The AllSides team was impressed that Snopes does not label claims in a binary of "true" and "false," but acknowledges nuance and complexity by having a number of labels for its claims, including "mostly true," "miscaptioned," "outdated," "unproven," and others.

Some noted Snopes seems to fact-check right-wing claims a bit more than left-wing claims. Others noted elite bias — a type of ideological bias — in Snopes' fact checking. Snopes seems to stand by people, not values, and will come to the rescue of the elite class more often than falling on the side of populist concerns and claims. Snopes also seems to fact check falsehoods more often than claims that turn out to be true.

Fact checking implies much nuance, and we noted that when it's a tough call, Snopes does often give a subjective interpretation slightly in favor of the left. For example, some questioned why Snopes stated clearly that Trump did not refer to coronavirus as a "hoax," yet seemed to contradict itself by marking the claim that he did as "mixed." Another noted that Snopes' claim that mail-in ballots do not increase risk of voter fraud omitted evidence that mail-in voter fraud does occur.

Another example is a piece about the criminal record of George Floyd, which had some left-leaning bias. Snopes stated: "On multiple occasions, police would make sweeps through the complex [Floyd lived in] and end up detaining a large number of men, including Floyd, a neighborhood friend named Tiffany Cofield told the AP. Additionally, Texas has one of the highest incarceration rates in the country, per the Prison Policy Initiative, and several studies show authorities are way more likely to target Black Texans for arrests than white residents." Note that the text does not indicate or investigate why police made sweeps (did they have evidence criminal activity was occurring in the complex?), nor did Snopes ask police for their justification, giving the impression the sweeps were for no reason and were unjust; Snopes also doesn't provide evidence to back up the claim Black Texans are "targeted" overall — some on the right say Black Texans are arrested more often because they commit more crime — and the sources linked to claim Black Texans are more likely to be arrested for drug possession, not all crimes. Here, Snopes is engaging in slant, a type of media bias when a source doesn't explore both sides or tell the full story.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Source: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/snopes/

Bias

According to research performed by Real Clear Politics in the article: Snopes and Editorializing Fact Checks, they determined that out of the six fact-checkers working with Facebook, “that Snopes is the least likely to fact-check matters of opinion.” This is important because opinion is something that cannot be fact-checked. The article went on to say, “We have found that since we started our project, Snopes has fact-checked opinions only 2 percent of the time. In other words, 98 percent of the time, it sticks to matters of verifiable fact. Such an achievement is even more remarkable given that during this period, they produced the second-most articles of the six fact-checking outfits.”

In 2021, Snopes’ fact-checks remain properly sourced and factual. We have also found a reasonable balance between fact checks on the right and left as a new Democratic administration makes statements subject to fact-checking.

Finally, the Snopes website also features news reports from other sources such as the Associated Press. From an editorial perspective, the news stories they choose to publish are slightly more favorable to the left, such as this: Founders: Removal from office is not the only purpose of impeachment. This story is republished from The Conversation. Original reporting such as this Is Trump Withdrawing Deportation Protections for Families of Active Troops? is low biased, factual, and properly sourced to left-leaning sources such as NPR and the New York Times as well as Government sources. In general, their original reporting and news curation hold a left-of-center bias.

Source: https://www.allsides.com/news-source/snopes

AllSides conducted an editorial review of Snopes on June 2, 2020. We concluded that Snopes warrants a Center rating, though most on the team acknowledged that Snopes may have a slight Lean Left bias.

AllSides noted that Snopes doesn't craft headlines as "gotcha!" phrases like other fact checkers do, but instead always poses headlines as a question, which is a more neutral way of addressing claims.

The AllSides team was impressed that Snopes does not label claims in a binary of "true" and "false," but acknowledges nuance and complexity by having a number of labels for its claims, including "mostly true," "miscaptioned," "outdated," "unproven," and others.

Some noted Snopes seems to fact-check right-wing claims a bit more than left-wing claims. Others noted elite bias — a type of ideological bias — in Snopes' fact checking. Snopes seems to stand by people, not values, and will come to the rescue of the elite class more often than falling on the side of populist concerns and claims. Snopes also seems to fact check falsehoods more often than claims that turn out to be true.

Fact checking implies much nuance, and we noted that when it's a tough call, Snopes does often give a subjective interpretation slightly in favor of the left. For example, some questioned why Snopes stated clearly that Trump did not refer to coronavirus as a "hoax," yet seemed to contradict itself by marking the claim that he did as "mixed." Another noted that Snopes' claim that mail-in ballots do not increase risk of voter fraud omitted evidence that mail-in voter fraud does occur.

Another example is a piece about the criminal record of George Floyd, which had some left-leaning bias. Snopes stated: "On multiple occasions, police would make sweeps through the complex [Floyd lived in] and end up detaining a large number of men, including Floyd, a neighborhood friend named Tiffany Cofield told the AP. Additionally, Texas has one of the highest incarceration rates in the country, per the Prison Policy Initiative, and several studies show authorities are way more likely to target Black Texans for arrests than white residents." Note that the text does not indicate or investigate why police made sweeps (did they have evidence criminal activity was occurring in the complex?), nor did Snopes ask police for their justification, giving the impression the sweeps were for no reason and were unjust; Snopes also doesn't provide evidence to back up the claim Black Texans are "targeted" overall — some on the right say Black Texans are arrested more often because they commit more crime — and the sources linked to claim Black Texans are more likely to be arrested for drug possession, not all crimes. Here, Snopes is engaging in slant, a type of media bias when a source doesn't explore both sides or tell the full story.

And your point?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

And your point?
        You asked for corroboration in response to a post talking about bias on Snopes. I provided articles talking about bias at Snopes.

Comment

You asked for corroboration in response to a post talking about bias on Snopes. I provided articles talking about bias at Snopes.
          Thank you but I do not really see how those minor incidents justify dismissing everything Snopes writes, which appears to be the position adopted by some here.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Thank you but I do not really see how those minor incidents justify dismissing everything Snopes writes, which appears to be the position adopted by some here.
            Oh, I wouldn't dismiss it. Though if they suddenly go middle-ground on something in a way that favors a left-wing position, it's worth taking with a grain of salt. I.E. When they give the "benefit of the doubt" instead of a more hard ruling, look harder.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

There is no try. There is only do.
              Do or do not. There is no try.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I tried!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I tried!

Did you do? Or maybe do-do or is that doodoo?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Did you do? Or maybe do-do or is that doodoo?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Did he? Or didn't he?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hunter-biden-texts/

Or should we all just sing Cole Porter's Let's Call the Whole Thing Off?
                      And I would note there is a history of exactly these same actors trying to lie about exactly this topic, as referenced in your link above.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bi...themeMenuModal
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Oh, I wouldn't dismiss it.
                        Yet some here clearly have done to wit the posts by rogue06 and @mossrose.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What you posted indicates snopes has very little actual bias, I'm wondering how you missed that?
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

What you posted indicates snopes has very little actual bias, I'm wondering how you missed that?
                            Read what I said, as opposed to what you think I said.

Comment

I wonder how many on the left here will come to decry Hunter's behaviour.

i shall not hold my breath...
                              The usual line from from liberals is too yawn and say, "So what? He's not an elected official," which is the same thing they said when it was discovered that Hunter was using dear old dad's influence to enrich himself while putting some aside for "the big guy". Of course they would be screeching a different tune if the last names were Trump.

Although it's not just Hunter who has a problem with racist utterances. Joe himself has a history of saying things like "Poor kids are just as smart as white kids," that "the United States is doomed, and not just because of blacks," and his latest one saying that black entrepreneurs are unsuccessful because they don't know how to hire lawyers and accountants.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yet some here clearly have done to wit the posts by rogue06 and @mossrose.
                                Dismiss? No. Take with a large grain of salt -- just like I said and you decided to ignore -- yes.

Comment