Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

AR Cop Sued for Flipping Pregnant Woman’s SUV B/C She Didn’t Pull Over Fast Enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah she is gonna win big time.
    Though to be fair they just say you won't be charged with fleeing, they don't specifically say you won't be rammed off the road by a psychopath cop i

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Yeah she is gonna win big time.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Since the state drivers' license manual directs drivers to do exactly what she did, I can't imagine why the department continues to double down that she acted incorrectly. That they protect their own in the face of even official government instructions says a lot about the culture of the department.

Also, since there have been many instances of creeps impersonating police officers and putting flashers on their cars, many police departments have encouraged drivers to call the non emergency line if they have doubt about who is pulling them over. This seems like a more than reasonable practice for ordinary traffic stops, and I would like to think that most officers would be understanding of a short delay for such reasons. (edit: I see rogue posted about this as I was typing)
    The State Police are gonna lose HARD on this one.

Turns out it's not just the drivers license manual that says it. In 2017 on Facebook, the very same State Police (who are now trying to cover for this officer) posted this on their facebook:
    https://twitter.com/tracetrace__/sta...307192833?s=19
    E3idDdJVgAMH48E.jpeg
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 06-10-2021, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

I've noticed that people who complain about others being too obsessed with race sure have a tendency to drag the subject of race into unrelated subjects.
    I don't think I've ever made an argument about the left being obsessed with race. My argument has always been that the left is projecting their own racism onto the right, and that their arguments about police violence against minorities and why it happens is based on lies and not factual. And that they also conveniently use racism to deflect subjects and control the argument.

That's not to say that others haven't complained about the left being obsessed with race, but I don't recall ever doing that.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Just thank God she wasn't a minority (preferably black). There would be rioting in streets as we speak. Her "white privilege" makes this a non-national news story.
    I've noticed that people who complain about others being too obsessed with race sure have a tendency to drag the subject of race into unrelated subjects.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Just thank God she wasn't a minority (preferably black). There would be rioting in streets as we speak. Her "white privilege" makes this a non-national news story.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    In the interest of looking for a way forward of weeding bad cops out of the ranks instead of just bemoaning it when it happens, I thought I'd mention a local controversy near me.

An 88 year old Korean War veteran in a nearby town was sitting in his car outside his home, because he has a bad leg and it's most comfortable for him. A police officer came up to him, accused him of being drunk, and immediately demanded he leave. When the resident pushed back and said he wasn't doing anything wrong, the officer pulled him through the car window and injured him.

It turns out the officer had been fired from another department in the state recently for unprofessional interactions with the public. The state Attorney General is looking for a way to ensure that officers are aware of the background of those who have been dismissed from other departments. This seems reasonable.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I'm curious what the full video shows, because I'm wondering if there's more to this that wasn't shown in the news story. Then again, probably not with the officer's "You got what you deserved" attitude. Did he ever even ask her if she was injured?
    Did he even hit the siren once or twice to indicate he means stop NOW?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I'm curious what the full video shows, because I'm wondering if there's more to this that wasn't shown in the news story. Then again, probably not with the officer's "You got what you deserved" attitude. Did he ever even ask her if she was injured?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Since the state drivers' license manual directs drivers to do exactly what she did, I can't imagine why the department continues to double down that she acted incorrectly. That they protect their own in the face of even official government instructions says a lot about the culture of the department.

Also, since there have been many instances of creeps impersonating police officers and putting flashers on their cars, many police departments have encouraged drivers to call the non emergency line if they have doubt about who is pulling them over. This seems like a more than reasonable practice for ordinary traffic stops, and I would like to think that most officers would be understanding of a short delay for such reasons. (edit: I see rogue posted about this as I was typing)
    In these times perhaps it would be a good idea to call the police (not 911 though) whenever you have concerns when a police car signals for you to pull over.

Then again, they might construe your actions as reaching for a gun

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied

Last edited by KingsGambit; 06-10-2021, 11:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    In my experience (yes, I do have some some experience getting pulled over by the police ), officers are usually happy to wait until there is a nice wide shoulder or a parking lot to pull into so their backside isn't getting clipped by passing cars, but 2-minutes does strike me as an excessively long time. Of course that in no way justifies the officer's response, nor his false statement that you're obligated to pull over immediately no matter what. It's just one of those curious details that seem inexplicable to me.
    Yeah, they don't want traffic whizzing by only a couple of feet away from them while they're standing beside your car. In many ways you're doing it for them more than you.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    video of the incident here:

The cop needs to lose his job. A pit maneuver should only be used on dangerous criminals, not a traffic stop for speeding.
    And when it is evident that they aren't making any attempt to avoid pursuit.

Every so often there are stories about someone who bought some police lights online or from a surplus store and using them to pull people over. Most of the time they're essentially playing make believe and just pretending to be an off-duty cop issuing a verbal warning or caution, but occasionally they've been used to rape or rob. The police would even tell you that if you were concerned about the authenticity of the car with the flashing lights behind you to do just what the driver was doing. Slow down, turn on your blinkers and proceed to a safe area. In the case of fake cops these safe spots were where other people were present (stores and the like).

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    In my experience (yes, I do have some some experience getting pulled over by the police ), officers are usually happy to wait until there is a nice wide shoulder or a parking lot to pull into so their backside isn't getting clipped by passing cars, but 2-minutes does strike me as an excessively long time. Of course that in no way justifies the officer's response, nor his false statement that you're obligated to pull over immediately no matter what. It's just one of those curious details that seem inexplicable to me.
    If she were trying to speed away, then yes, I could see him thinking she is trying to flee and he could do the pit maneuver. Or if he had reason to believe she was a criminal (bank robber, murderer, carrying drugs), then again, yeah. But for a simple traffic stop for speeding, and she slowed down? I don't see any reason he should use a dangerous maneuver like that no matter how long she took to pull over. He had her license plate, and could have gotten a warrant if she never pulled over, or even used his bullhorn and ordered her to pull over immediately.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    There was construction IIRC (with barriers on the side) creating a restricted shoulder, so 2 minutes doesn't seem particularly long. If you look at the video Sparko posted you can even see that they're nearing an exit (which she stated she was planning to pull off on), with one of those blue signs showing exit amenities, right when he pits her. And the shoulder is excessively small - on the left there's maybe enough room to just fit a car, and on the right it's so small you'd be hanging out in the lane.
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 06-10-2021, 10:43 AM.

Leave a comment: