Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

AR Cop Sued for Flipping Pregnant Woman’s SUV B/C She Didn’t Pull Over Fast Enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The officer that approached the window had a taser not a gun, so obviously the driver wasn't a threat, unless the officer is an idiot. Like I said, as a cop you can certainly choose to approach it with that type of aggression where it's not necessary. But then you risk the public's scorn as a consequence. The left already views cops as enemies (for the wrong reasons), so the objective would be to not increase that animosity where it's not necessary.
    Personally I view getting a bit gruff in attitude and language as another level of response (which should be seen as the warning it is) before resorting to physical force. I'd rather that there be a few steps between requesting nicely and tasing or pepper spraying someone

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

An officer in the US military understands authority and chain of command. To be this non-compliant is a deliberate act to provoke a response like this. He was recording the whole time. He was treated with the same disrespect he gave. He knew better.
      I agree. And when someone is that uncooperative even with a gun and tazer drawn, it could mean that they are trying to hide something.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The other officer had his gun drawn (the one with the camera filming) - And they don't pull a gun on a driver without a reason. Like I said, it was a felony stop. You have no idea why they pulled him over. But they obviously thought he was a threat, thus the gun being drawn. I think they handled it well. The guy should have obeyed. They gave him many chanced to do so and he continuously refused to comply. If I had officers with guns drawn on me, I would comply immediately, especially if I had not done anything wrong. I wouldn't want to make them angry or give them any reason to shoot me. I sure wouldn't argue with them.

You also have no idea what they might have found in his truck after arresting him. He could have had a weapon in there. Buying time till he could grab it and shoot his way out or drive off. All we know is what the clip shows. Unless you some other information?

here is a video of a pretty similar situation, with the police trying and trying to be polite, but the guy not cooperating, finally they get aggressive and pepper spray him, and try to drag him out of the car, and while pepper sprayed, the suspect still manages to grab a gun and shoot both officers. Things can turn around in a split second. And being nice doesn't work if the guy doesn't want to cooperate.

You know what, it's not really a hill I'll die on. I'm just saying, when you're already viewed as public enemy number one by a large segment of the population you might want to go out of way not to increase that animosity more than you have to and keep what little allies in society you have left in order to make your job easier and less risky than it has to be. But I'm obviously not a cop and don't know any cops, so I could care less how the public perceives them. Cops can get as militarized and aggressive as they want, just so long as they don't become such servile minions of the state that they start violating our constitutional rights, I'm cool.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

You know what, it's not really a hill I'll die on. I'm just saying, when you're already viewed as public enemy number one by a large segment of the population you might want to go out of way not to increase that animosity more than you have to and keep what little allies in society you have left in order to make your job easier and less risky than it has to be. But I'm obviously not a cop and don't know any cops, so I could care less how the public perceives them. Cops can get as militarized and aggressive as they want, just so long as they don't become such servile minions of the state that they start violating our constitutional rights, I'm cool.
          maybe you should befriend a cop? I'll freely admit my best friend is a retired cop. (Actually, I have several friends/acquaintances that are cops.) But, he watched the video of the woman being pitted and said he would recommend immediate termination of the anyone under his command who did that.

The one this post refers to, he would say that same thing I said, this is just another guy trying to make a point about how bad cops are. Given lot's of warnings to keep hands visible and step out of the vehicle he didn't even attempt to comply, argued, stalled, ignored commands, over and over. He was in a well lit area, with camera's rolling. He had little to fear.

On avg. about 250 cops are shot on duty every year. Moreover, around 10% of cops are assaulted every year. Since there's about 600,000 cops, that's close to 60,000. It's really easy to arm chair quarterback things you have no stake in. I don't excuse bad cops...neither do the good cops that I know.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment