Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

AR Cop Sued for Flipping Pregnant Woman’s SUV B/C She Didn’t Pull Over Fast Enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

It's certainly a textbook case of why we need to end qualified immunity for cops.
    Qualified immunity doesn't cover the cop endangering the life of someone by being stupid. And it sure doesn't protect the police department if they are teaching the cops to do something like pulling a pit maneuver on someone who was obviously doing exactly what she was supposed to be doing.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post

I think they are trained this way. It's the "militarization of police" problem. Maybe not specifically in how he initiated the maneuver, but they're trained to be aggressive and treat citizens like their the enemy. Check out this video...

(warning there is objectionable language)

Yeah, he's being uncooperative, but listen how they talk to this guy. Like authoritative robots. "You're fixing to ride the lightening, son"? I mean, what is that? I think the problem is that a lot of these guys are ex-vets and they think they're still in Fallujah dealing with terrorist insurgents.
    I am assuming "Ride the lightning" is referring to being tazed. I have no problem with cops being authoritative, that's their job. You won't get cooperation from an uncooperative person by being nice to them. If they are being combative or uncooperative, then the officer has to take charge.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's in the OP, but after reading it again, I'd say it's boilerplate written a while ago and not tailored to this particular case.

Over the past five years Arkansas State Troopers have documented a 52 percent increase in incidents of drivers making a conscious choice to ignore traffic stops initiated by the troopers. Instead of stopping, the drivers try to flee. In more populated areas of the state, the incidents of fleeing from troopers have risen by more than 80 percent. The fleeing drivers pull away at a high rate of speed, wildly driving, dangerously passing other vehicles, showing no regard for the safety of other motorists, creating an imminent threat to the public.

The Arkansas State Police began using the Precision Immobilization Technique (PIT) over two decades ago. Trooper recruits while attending the department’s academy receive comprehensive initial training in the use of PIT. All incumbent troopers receive recurring annual training in emergency vehicle operations which includes PIT instruction.

There’s a fundamental state law none of us should ever forget. All drivers are required under Arkansas law to safely pull-off the roadway and stop when a police officer activates the patrol vehicle emergency lights and siren. The language of the law is crystal clear. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle displaying the signal to stop, the driver must pull-over and stop. *(see Arkansas statutes ACA §27-51-901 & §27-49-107)

Should a driver make the decision to ignore the law and flee from police, state troopers are trained to consider their options. Based on the totality of circumstances a state trooper could deploy spike strips to deflate the tires of the vehicle being pursued, execute a boxing technique to contain the pursuit slowing the driver to a stop, execute a PIT maneuver or terminate the pursuit. Most Arkansas State Police pursuits end without a PIT maneuver being utilized.

PIT has proven to be an effective tool to stop drivers who are placing others in harm’s way. It has saved lives among those who choose to obey the law against those who choose to run from police. In every case a state trooper has used a PIT maneuver, the fleeing driver could have chosen to end the pursuit by doing what all law-abiding citizens do every day when a police officer turns-on the blue lights – they pull over and stop.
    None of this seems applicable here. She wasn't "pull[ing] away at a high rate of speed, wildly driving, dangerously passing other vehicles" etc. And this bit leaves out the part about having to immediately pull over when it is safe to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Can you direct me to it? I am missing it.
    It's in the OP, but after reading it again, I'd say it's boilerplate written a while ago and not tailored to this particular case.

Over the past five years Arkansas State Troopers have documented a 52 percent increase in incidents of drivers making a conscious choice to ignore traffic stops initiated by the troopers. Instead of stopping, the drivers try to flee. In more populated areas of the state, the incidents of fleeing from troopers have risen by more than 80 percent. The fleeing drivers pull away at a high rate of speed, wildly driving, dangerously passing other vehicles, showing no regard for the safety of other motorists, creating an imminent threat to the public.

The Arkansas State Police began using the Precision Immobilization Technique (PIT) over two decades ago. Trooper recruits while attending the department’s academy receive comprehensive initial training in the use of PIT. All incumbent troopers receive recurring annual training in emergency vehicle operations which includes PIT instruction.

There’s a fundamental state law none of us should ever forget. All drivers are required under Arkansas law to safely pull-off the roadway and stop when a police officer activates the patrol vehicle emergency lights and siren. The language of the law is crystal clear. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle displaying the signal to stop, the driver must pull-over and stop. *(see Arkansas statutes ACA §27-51-901 & §27-49-107)

Should a driver make the decision to ignore the law and flee from police, state troopers are trained to consider their options. Based on the totality of circumstances a state trooper could deploy spike strips to deflate the tires of the vehicle being pursued, execute a boxing technique to contain the pursuit slowing the driver to a stop, execute a PIT maneuver or terminate the pursuit. Most Arkansas State Police pursuits end without a PIT maneuver being utilized.

PIT has proven to be an effective tool to stop drivers who are placing others in harm’s way. It has saved lives among those who choose to obey the law against those who choose to run from police. In every case a state trooper has used a PIT maneuver, the fleeing driver could have chosen to end the pursuit by doing what all law-abiding citizens do every day when a police officer turns-on the blue lights – they pull over and stop.
    Last edited by Stoic; 06-10-2021, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I don't support the death penalty for assault.
    It's not necessarily death. If he survives, hooray for him. The odds of survival would approximate those of his victim. I'm fully in favor of a justice system that incorporates both restitution and tit-for-tat retribution, with those in positions of power being treated more severely, not less so.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Losing his job is the least that should happen to that fool. He should have all his assets confiscated and given to the victim, then he should be locked in his cruiser and pushed over a hill.
    I don't support the death penalty for assault.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

If the guy was a major threat they never would have approached his window like that (with only a taser and not his gun drawn). Once they approached the window and found out he wasn't a threat, the human thing to do was to deescalate and talk to the guy, but they just kept pushing, I guess because that's their training -- treat everyone like a terrorist insurgent.
    Again, I don't know the backstory. If he was simply speeding, then of course it is outrageous conduct by the cops.

Gondwanaland knows my history elsewhere, and can vouch that I have always been highly critical of police in general. But I also want to know all the details before condemning either side of an altercation.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

I can't make a judgment on anything regarding that video. I don't know that these cops weren't chasing someone dressed as a lieutenant who just killed a cop at an earlier traffic stop. Backstory is everything.
    If the guy was a major threat they never would have approached his window like that (with only a taser and not his gun drawn), and I'm not even experienced in police affairs to know that. Once they approached the window and found out he wasn't a threat, the human thing to do was to deescalate and talk to the guy, but they just kept pushing, I guess because that's their training -- approach with heightened aggression as though they're dealing with a terrorist insurgent.
    Last edited by seanD; 06-10-2021, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Did you see the statement from the State Police Department? The cop was obviously doing what they expected him to do.
    Can you direct me to it? I am missing it.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

I think they are trained this way. It's the "militarization of police" problem. Maybe not specifically in how he initiated the maneuver, but they're trained to be aggressive and treat citizens like their the enemy. Check out this video...

Yeah, he's being uncooperative, but listen how they talk to this guy. Like authoritative robots. "You're fixing to ride the lightening, son"? I mean, what is that? I think the problem is that a lot of these guys are ex-vets and they think they're still in Fallujah dealing with terrorist insurgents.
    I can't make a judgment on anything regarding that video. I don't know that these cops weren't chasing someone dressed as a lieutenant who just killed a cop at an earlier traffic stop. Backstory is everything.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Losing his job is the least that should happen to that fool. He should have all his assets confiscated and given to the victim, then he should be locked in his cruiser and pushed over a hill.
    It's certainly a textbook case of why we need to end qualified immunity for cops.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    This stupid cop is going to cost his department a lot of money and grief. If I was in charge, he'd be canned immediately.

There's no way he was taught to do that simply because someone was slightly speeding. They would need to be extremely reckless driving or fleeing some violent altercation somewhere. Doing a pit maneuver on a soccer mom? PuHLeeze!

(warning there is objectionable language)

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    This stupid cop is going to cost his department a lot of money and grief. If I was in charge, he'd be canned immediately.

There's no way he was taught to do that simply because someone was slightly speeding. They would need to be extremely reckless driving or fleeing some violent altercation somewhere. Doing a pit maneuver on a soccer mom? PuHLeeze!
    Did you see the statement from the State Police Department? The cop was obviously doing what they expected him to do.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

Leave a comment: