Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another fake news story put to rest

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another fake news story put to rest

    Last year the left was beside itself over claims that Trump had "peaceful protesters" in Lafayette Park cleared out of his path with tear gas, so he could do a photo op at a church. One poster here even likened it to the massacre of thousands of protesters in Tiananmen Square

    The only problem is that it wasn't true. As an Inspector General report investigating concluded... well, in the words of CBS congressional correspondent Kris Van Cleave put it: "Tonight, vindication for the Trump administration."

    The IG reported concluded, again as Van Cleave explained, that the clearing of the protestors was not "to make way for this presidential photo-op at St. John's church" but had been ordered hours before Trump decided to go over to the cathedral. At the time even CNN admitted that the plan to go over there was made in a spur of the moment decision and that the Secret Service didn't have time to prepare for it.

    Slowly but surely fake news report after fake news report is being exposed.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  • #2
    What is most appalling is that the media chose to focus on Trump rather than the fact that the church was burned by a mob.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      What is most appalling is that the media chose to focus on Trump rather than the fact that the church was burned by a mob.
      It's all about deflection and spin.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sparko View Post

        It's all about deflection and spin.
        FWICT only CBS covered the IG report's release. The other networks were too busy talking about summer beach fashions and the like.

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          FWICT only CBS covered the IG report's release. The other networks were too busy talking about summer beach fashions and the like.
          Doing a google search on "Lafayette park trump" I see stories by most of the major MSM. But if you read them, some of them try to mitigate the report with claims such as "But the report’s author was careful to warn it was not to be seen as a definitive account of the day, in part because so many other law enforcement agencies were involved" and "But the report did find that Attorney General Barr urged officials to speed up the process once Trump had decided to walk through the area"


          https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/u...te-square.html
          https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...stors-n1270126
          https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/poli...ry?id=78171712
          https://www.npr.org/2021/06/09/10048...or-trump-last-
          https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys/7622478002/
          https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/09/polit...ble/index.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sparko View Post

            Doing a google search on "Lafayette park trump" I see stories by most of the major MSM. But if you read them, some of them try to mitigate the report with claims such as "But the report’s author was careful to warn it was not to be seen as a definitive account of the day, in part because so many other law enforcement agencies were involved" and "But the report did find that Attorney General Barr urged officials to speed up the process once Trump had decided to walk through the area"


            https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/u...te-square.html
            https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...stors-n1270126
            https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/poli...ry?id=78171712
            https://www.npr.org/2021/06/09/10048...or-trump-last-
            https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys/7622478002/
            https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/09/polit...ble/index.html
            I was referring to the network news where only CBS mentioned it during their evening news. The biggest complaint I've seen is that the IG works for the Department of Interior -- as if that mattered.

            I'm always still in trouble again

            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Last year the left was beside itself over claims that Trump had "peaceful protesters" in Lafayette Park cleared out of his path with tear gas, so he could do a photo op at a church. One poster here even likened it to the massacre of thousands of protesters in Tiananmen Square

              The only problem is that it wasn't true. As an Inspector General report investigating concluded... well, in the words of CBS congressional correspondent Kris Van Cleave put it: "Tonight, vindication for the Trump administration."

              The IG reported concluded, again as Van Cleave explained, that the clearing of the protestors was not "to make way for this presidential photo-op at St. John's church" but had been ordered hours before Trump decided to go over to the cathedral. At the time even CNN admitted that the plan to go over there was made in a spur of the moment decision and that the Secret Service didn't have time to prepare for it.

              Slowly but surely fake news report after fake news report is being exposed.
              The Trump admin tried to deflect it onto Barr at the time. So basically - assuming this report is the whole story - they didn't know who did it either but they were willing roll it up on Barr's head. I tend to think it a bit more complicated than that given the 'guilty knowledge' syndrome in terms of how they handled it.

              Time will tell.
              Mockery is the argument of the mentally and/or emotionally challenged.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                Doing a google search on "Lafayette park trump" I see stories by most of the major MSM. But if you read them, some of them try to mitigate the report with claims such as "But the report’s author was careful to warn it was not to be seen as a definitive account of the day, in part because so many other law enforcement agencies were involved" and "But the report did find that Attorney General Barr urged officials to speed up the process once Trump had decided to walk through the area"


                https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/09/u...te-square.html
                https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...stors-n1270126
                https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/poli...ry?id=78171712
                https://www.npr.org/2021/06/09/10048...or-trump-last-
                https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ys/7622478002/
                https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/09/polit...ble/index.html
                look at all those 'horribly biased' news networks reporting the correction ...

                Why don't you think this is 'fake news' too?

                As for the qualifications ... that would be because ... there were other agencies involved and we don't know the conclusions wrt them.

                Given the Trump admin was willing to roll it up onto Barr's shoulders, my guess is this is NOT the end of the story.
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-10-2021, 10:17 AM.
                Mockery is the argument of the mentally and/or emotionally challenged.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                  look at all those 'horribly biased' news networks reporting the correction ...

                  Why don't you think this is 'fake news' too?

                  As for the qualifications ... that would be because ... there were other agencies involved and we don't know the conclusions wrt them.

                  Given the Trump admin was willing to roll it up onto Barr's shoulders, my guess is this is NOT the end of the story.
                  I give them creds for reporting on this, but still am upset that they spun the story into fake news when it happened, even though all of the information was available at the time from the police. But I also see them trying to spin it so they can still push some blame on Trump and excuse their own earlier reporting.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I was referring to the network news where only CBS mentioned it during their evening news. The biggest complaint I've seen is that the IG works for the Department of Interior -- as if that mattered.
                    Interestingly this from forbes:

                    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbre...h=68f2d8766819

                    Source: above

                    According to the report, then-Attorney General Bill Barr encouraged the Park Police commanding officer to clear the protesters specifically for Trump’s photo op, but was rebuffed. “The Attorney General asked him, ‘Are these people still going to be here when POTUS comes out?’” an anonymous Park Police official recounts in the report. “The USPP operations commander told us he had not known until then that the President would be coming out of the White House and into Lafayette Park. He said he replied to the Attorney General, ‘Are you freaking kidding me?’ and then hung his head and walked away. The Attorney General then left Lafayette Park.”

                    © Copyright Original Source



                    This would explain some of what kicked back to Barr, and might have contributed to some urgency in the action itself - though that is my own speculation.

                    Given Barr asked they be removed and given they were removed forcefully though for other reasons - it makes sense they'd end up getting bad press over it.

                    So we are going to differ in our perception in that you think Trump was unfairly harangued throughout his presidency, but I believe Trump was so corrupt and full of lies he deserved all of it.

                    To me this is one of the few times they got it wrong. And I would expect there to be some things like this given the chaos that was/is Trump.

                    To you this is proof they were ALWAYS unfair to him.
                    Mockery is the argument of the mentally and/or emotionally challenged.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                      So we are going to differ in our perception in that you think Trump was unfairly harangued throughout his presidency, but I believe Trump was so corrupt and full of lies he deserved all of it.
                      .
                      This confirmation of TDS is why nobody takes your views seriously when it comes to anything Trump related, Jim. You can't be objective with anything dealing with Trump.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                        The Trump admin tried to deflect it onto Barr at the time. So basically - assuming this report is the whole story - they didn't know who did it either but they were willing roll it up on Barr's head. I tend to think it a bit more complicated than that given the 'guilty knowledge' syndrome in terms of how they handled it.

                        Time will tell.
                        The IG report confirms what Trump said. That Barr had ordered the "peaceful protestors"[1] moved out hours before, and, as CNN reports and criticizes him for it, Trump made a spur of the moment decision to walk over to St. John's. Barr confirmed this at the time. So nobody was trying to "roll it up on Barr's head" then or now.







                        1 who had twice tried to "peacefully" torch the building, once by starting a fire in the basement and once by starting a fire next to it outside.

                        I'm always still in trouble again

                        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                          This confirmation of TDS is why nobody takes your views seriously when it comes to anything Trump related, Jim. You can't be objective with anything dealing with Trump.
                          Sure I can. Far more objective than you can be it would seem.

                          Think about it Sparko: Trump supporting people can pretend the Jan6 insurrection wasn't an insurrection, Some of them can claim it wasn't even violent, They can claim that there is 'massive' evidence Trump didn't actually lose the election when there isn't and every attempt to make the case in court has been tossed due to lack of evidence, Not to mention QANon and it's lack of scarcity within Trumpian circles. And you don't recognize that as mental dysfunction - you certainly don't call it out here among those that express those views.

                          Yet you take my concern over those things as evidence for mental dysfunction in me.

                          You have it completely backwards. As I said to rogue, take a good long look in that mirror.

                          (PS: Note that even though I think you are completely wrong and compromised by your capacity to overlook the wrongs Trump has done, you don't see me accusing you of being mentally deranged because of it. Again - who is it that is being objective and who is it that is not?)
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-10-2021, 01:08 PM.
                          Mockery is the argument of the mentally and/or emotionally challenged.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                            Sure I can. Far more objective than you can be it would seem.

                            Think about it Sparko: Trump supporting people can pretend the Jan6 insurrection wasn't an insurrection, Some of them can claim it wasn't even violent, They can claim that there is 'massive' evidence Trump didn't actually lose the election when there isn't and every attempt to make the case in court has been tossed due to lack of evidence, Not to mention QANon and it's lack of scarcity within Trumpian circles. And you don't recognize that as mental dysfunction - you certainly don't call it out here among those that express those views.

                            Yet you take my concern over those things as evidence for mental dysfunction in me.

                            You have it completely backwards. As I said to rogue, take a good long look in that mirror.

                            (PS: Note that even though I think you are completely wrong and compromised by your capacity to overlook the wrongs Trump has done, you don't see me accusing you of being mentally deranged because of it. Again - who is it that is being objective and who is it that is not?)
                            Thanks for confirming it again.


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sparko View Post

                              Thanks for confirming it again.
                              And with that my delusion you can be reasoned with or are even interested in being reasoned with bites the dust.
                              Mockery is the argument of the mentally and/or emotionally challenged.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Reepicheep, Yesterday, 07:21 PM
                              9 responses
                              44 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Gondwanaland  
                              Started by Reepicheep, Yesterday, 01:13 PM
                              10 responses
                              79 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post tabibito  
                              Started by MaxVel, Yesterday, 09:03 AM
                              29 responses
                              187 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post MaxVel
                              by MaxVel
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, Yesterday, 06:59 AM
                              30 responses
                              139 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 07-22-2021, 05:50 PM
                              35 responses
                              193 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Working...
                              X