Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fascism and Critical Race Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You seem to be continuing trying to derail the thread with pendantry over terms.

Leave the thread now. Do not reply, do not pass go. This is offficial
    For someone who takes so much effort playing the "smarter than you" game through obscure words and references, she has a real problem reading for comprehension. I was very much done with the conversation myself.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

For someone who takes so much effort playing the "smarter than you" game through obscure words and references, she has a real problem reading for comprehension. I was very much done with the conversation myself.
      Just a reminder that once someone has been told to leave a thread it really isn't fair to talk about them. In fact it can allow them the right to return in order to respond.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Just because the label is inaccurate, it does not mean the underlying issue they are trying to label isn't there.
        The problem is that those on the left in particular will use a label to make something out to be worse than it is. Case in point: insisting that the January 6 Capitol Hill riot was an "insurrection", or insisting that President Trump behaved like a "dictator" despite never doing anything that would fit even a loose definition of that word. Even worse, if liberals conceded that their labels are wrong then they immediately lose, because the majority of the time, the label is the entire premise behind their argument.

It's ultimately about controlling the language, because whoever controls the language wins the debate by default.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-10-2021, 05:30 PM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The problem is that those on the left in particular will use a label to make something out to be worse than it is. Case in point: insisting that the January 6 Capitol Hill riot was an "insurrection", or insisting that President Trump behaved like a "dictator" despite never doing anything that would fit even a loose definition of that word.

It's ultimately about controlling the language, because whoever controls the language wins the debate by default.
          I'm not denying that there can be legitimate debate about labels. However at the same time to neglect the, ignore, or dismiss the point and focus solely on the label is a problem.

Take Trump, you can argue about whether he was a dictator but, win or lose, you haven't addressed whether the actions they were concerned about are valid criticisms.

Or CRT. Whether the racial actions we see are or are not technically crt, they are still complaints that need addressed.

Comment

I'm not denying that there can be legitimate debate about labels. However at the same time to neglect the, ignore, or dismiss the point and focus solely on the label is a problem.

Take Trump, you can argue about whether he was a dictator but, win or lose, you haven't addressed whether the actions they were concerned about are valid criticisms.

Or CRT. Whether the racial actions we see are or are not technically crt, they are still complaints that need addressed.
            Except, as I said, for liberals the label is their whole premise. In other words, they say, "This is wrong because of <label>." Without the label, they have no basis for declaring it wrong.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment