Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fascism and Critical Race Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    How do you know that it [the label] is not right?

Or are you just referring to these phrases being used as pejoratives by some towards the opposition?
    ah I see, she is just trying to derail the thread again with her pedantry.

Comment

How do you know that it [the label] is not right?

Or are you just referring to these phrases being used as pejoratives by some towards the opposition?
      I'll give one more answer on this, at which point I'm done with this rabbit hole.

Let's say I am complaining about <Actions 1,2,3,4,5>. I am calling them all <Label A>. You, come in, and say that <Label A> means <X> and I don't know what I'm talking about. <Label A> doesn't apply in this context, <Label A> is a figment of my imagination and I am just calling things I don't like <Label A>.

If, for the sake of argument, you are correct <Label A> is applied incorrectly. It does not mean <Actions 1,2,3,4,5> are not happening. It does not mean that <Actions 1,2,3,4,5> are not real concerns. What tends to happen is that someone gets so obsessed with the definition of <Label A> that they then dismiss the very real <Actions 1,2,3,4,5> that are happening.

In other words:
      "Just because the label is inaccurate, it does not mean the underlying issue they are trying to label isn't there. It just means that the label they are using isn't right."

I have explained that in as clear a language as possible, and broken it down as cleanly as possible. If you have trouble understanding it at this point, I can not and will not continue helping you to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I'll give one more answer on this, at which point I'm done with this rabbit hole.

Let's say I am complaining about <Actions 1,2,3,4,5>. I am calling them all <Label A>. You, come in, and say that <Label A> means <X> and I don't know what I'm talking about. <Label A> doesn't apply in this context, <Label A> is a figment of my imagination and I am just calling things I don't like <Label A>.

If, for the sake of argument, you are correct <Label A> is applied incorrectly. It does not mean <Actions 1,2,3,4,5> are not happening. It does not mean that <Actions 1,2,3,4,5> are not real concerns. What tends to happen is that someone gets so obsessed with the definition of <Label A> that they then dismiss the very real <Actions 1,2,3,4,5> that are happening.

In other words:
        "Just because the label is inaccurate, it does not mean the underlying issue they are trying to label isn't there. It just means that the label they are using isn't right."

I have explained that in as clear a language as possible, and broken it down as cleanly as possible. If you have trouble understanding it at this point, I can not and will not continue helping you to understand.
        So what are these underlying issues?
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

So what are these underlying issues?
          I'm done explaining. You apparently are either trolling, or too stupid to understand it even when its broken down to its most fundamental level. Either way, I'm done with this line of conversation. You are no longer welcome in this thread unless you can give a good faith effort at actually explaining the point I've made.

Get out, or make a good faith effort to explain what the point is, I don't care which.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I'm done explaining. You apparently are either trolling, or too stupid to understand it even when its broken down to its most fundamental level. Either way, I'm done with this line of conversation. You are no longer welcome in this thread unless you can give a good faith effort at actually explaining the point I've made.

Get out, or make a good faith effort to explain what the point is, I don't care which.
            Your OP stated this;

Facism and Critical Race Theory are two labels that get thrown around alot. The left asserted Trump was fascist, his administration was fascist, and his supporters were fascist. The right assails the use of CRT in schools, pushed in peoples faces, etc. Both sides are told that their label is BS, and that they don't know what they are talking about.

There's one problem with that "Your label is wrong" dismissal.

Just because the label is inaccurate, it does not mean the underlying issue they are trying to label isn't there. It just means that the label they are using isn't right. The problems underneath that people are labeling still exist, and dismissing them because they aren't labeled correctly don't solve anything. They just ignore the problem, which then can get worse.

As far as I can deduce from what you have written there you are pointing out that each side calls the other names while alleging their opponents' "label is BS".

You wrote "Just because the label is inaccurate, it does not mean the underlying issue they are trying to label isn't there". What are these underlying issues "they are trying to label"? You have not identified any.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Your OP stated this;

Facism and Critical Race Theory are two labels that get thrown around alot. The left asserted Trump was fascist, his administration was fascist, and his supporters were fascist. The right assails the use of CRT in schools, pushed in peoples faces, etc. Both sides are told that their label is BS, and that they don't know what they are talking about.

There's one problem with that "Your label is wrong" dismissal.

Just because the label is inaccurate, it does not mean the underlying issue they are trying to label isn't there. It just means that the label they are using isn't right. The problems underneath that people are labeling still exist, and dismissing them because they aren't labeled correctly don't solve anything. They just ignore the problem, which then can get worse.

As far as I can deduce from what you have written there you are pointing out that each side calls the other names while alleging their opponents' "label is BS".

You wrote "Just because the label is inaccurate, it does not mean the underlying issue they are trying to label isn't there". What are these underlying issues "they are trying to label"? You have not identified any.
              Teaching children that whites are oppressors and blacks are victims, that racism is systemic and all the fault of white people. That "whiteness" is a disease and any arguments to the contrary is a symptom of the blindness of whites to their inherent racism. We have several threads on these on the forum. As you well know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Teaching children that whites are oppressors and blacks are victims, that racism is systemic and all the fault of white people. That "whiteness" is a disease and any arguments to the contrary is a symptom of the blindness of whites to their inherent racism.
                Yet are not those precisely the sort of comments that those on the opposite side would define as "BS" and allege that someone making them didn't "know what they are talking about"?

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yet are not those precisely the sort of comments that those on the opposite side would define as "BS" and allege that someone making them didn't "know what they are talking about"?
                  Only by remaining willfully ignorant or dishonest.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Only by remaining willfully ignorant or dishonest.
                    Those are precisely the sorts of remarks that would be dismissed as emotional and unsubstantiated sweeping generalisations [aka what CD described as "BS" ]
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

CD's point is that we should be discussing those ideas rather than arguing about labels. But Starlight and other liberals argue "that isn't CRT!" rather than address the issues themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        Just an aside, nobody seems to know what "fascist" means. By definition, it has such a narrow set of attributes that the label can't be placed on anyone in recent decades.
                        Democrats happily urging large tech corporations to censor their political opposition is the quintessential definition of fascism, at least according to Mussolini. To know what the definition of something is, you pretty much just have to look at the political left and what they're doing, and what they're accusing the political right of doing.

What is racism? Look at what the political left is doing and what they're accusing the political right of.
                        What is white privilege? Look at what the political left is doing and what they're accusing the political right of.
                        What is fascism? Look at what the political left is doing and what they're accusing the political right of...

Comment

CD's point is that we should be discussing those ideas rather than arguing about labels.
                          How are we to deduce that what you wrote would not be dismissed as "BS" and that you would be charged with the accusation that you "don't know what" you "are talking about"?.

But Starlight and other liberals argue "that isn't CRT!" rather than address the issues themselves.
                          Do you not see the irony in that remark? Without each side specifying exactly what they understand these terms to mean, all that is left is people making abusive remarks or over-simplified generalisations to one another.

And that would appear to be precisely the criticism that, in his OP, CivilDiscourse directed against both sides.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

How are we to deduce that what you wrote would not be dismissed as "BS" and that you would be charged with the accusation that you "don't know what" you "are talking about"?.

Do you not see the irony in that remark? Without each side specifying exactly what they understand these terms to mean, all that is left is people making abusive remarks or over-simplified generalisations to one another.

And that would appear to be precisely the criticism that, in his OP, CivilDiscourse directed against both sides.
                            You seem to be continuing trying to derail the thread with pendantry over terms.

Leave the thread now. Do not reply, do not pass go. This is offficial

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Democrats happily urging large tech corporations to censor their political opposition is the quintessential definition of fascism, at least according to Mussolini...
                              That's one characteristic of fascism. Another is nationalism, which Democrats (mostly globalists) don't really qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That's one characteristic of fascism. Another is nationalism, which Democrats (mostly globalists) don't really qualify.
                                Has fascism evolved into a global concept rather than national?

It pretty much had to do something considering how it was whipped and kicked out of everywhere except for Spain where form of it lasted until Franco's death[1] three decades later.

1. Chevy Chase will be delighted to know that he remains so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment