Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

They Blinded Me With Science...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Blinded Me With Science...

So science isn't political? The Lancet, March 2020

The rapid, open, and transparent sharing of data on this outbreak is now being threatened by rumours and misinformation around its origins. We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin. Scientists from multiple countries have published and analysed genomes of the causative agent, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2),
    and they overwhelmingly conclude that this coronavirus originated in wildlife

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...418-9/fulltext

A group of 27 prominent public health scientists from outside China is pushing back against a steady stream of stories and even a scientific paper suggesting a laboratory in Wuhan, China, may be the origin of the outbreak of COVID-19. “The rapid, open, and transparent sharing of data on this outbreak is now being threatened by rumours and misinformation around its origins,” the scientists, from nine countries, write in a statement published online by The Lancet yesterday.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...in-coronavirus
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Science is not political.

That does not mean that scientists cannot be political.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

How do you know the difference when the scientists are the gatekeepers and lie to you?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I am sure it does have a natural origin, but that doesn't mean the lab didn't tweak it or leak it.

Comment

Science in its purest and most ideal form is not political, but that's more fantasy than reality. Science only exists because of man, and since man is inherently political, therefore, science itself is inherently political.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I am sure it does have a natural origin, but that doesn't mean the lab didn't tweak it or leak it.
            No one was denying that it came from an animal. The rumors and misinformation that these scientists were railing against was that it was tweaked in the lab. And escaped from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Science in its purest and most ideal form is not political, but that's more fantasy than reality. Science only exists because of man, and since man is inherently political, therefore, science itself is inherently political.
              I guess we could therefore make the same argument with collecting matchbooks or stamps

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I guess we could therefore make the same argument with collecting matchbooks or stamps
                I understand you want to defend science here rogue but lives were at stake here and these scientists shilled for China. And the more we are finding out the larger the cover up is getting.

Comment

No one was denying that it came from an animal. The rumors and misinformation that these scientists were railing against was that it was tweaked in the lab. And escaped from there.
                  There are different ways to "tweak" it - one is to directly manipulate it using something like CRISPR to edit the genes. But another way is to basically use selective breeding, by keep exposing it to human tissue and keeping the most promising mutations until it mutates into a form that can infect humans. That way would not show any signs of manipulation. It would be "natural" but still tweaked to infect humans.

Comment

There are different ways to "tweak" it - one is to directly manipulate it using something like CRISPR to edit the genes. But another way is to basically use selective breeding, by keep exposing it to human tissue and keeping the most promising mutations until it mutates into a form that can infect humans. That way would not show any signs of manipulation. It would be "natural" but still tweaked to infect humans.
                    I'll make a conniving rogue out of you yet.

Comment

Willow bark --> aspirin
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The Lancet headquarters:

The Lancet
                        125 London Wall
                        London, EC2Y 5AS, UK

The Lancet
                        230 Park Avenue
                        New York, NY 10169 USA

The Lancet
                        Unit 1-6, 7F, Tower W1, Oriental Plaza
                        No.1, East Chang An Ave., Beijing, 100738, China

Comment

I do not have information on a broad selection of scientific journals. In part the problems can be a problem that people run these. But this also falls into politics.
                          A common problem surrounds he old boys network which promotes those of prestige more than people with discoveries. Once you are part of the club, you get better government funding and your buddies help you by publishing your papers so that you can get further funding. The other part of this promotion of each others articles is that universities often require people to be published in order to remain or advance in position.

Another bias certainly is in the natural stance against studies which show flaws in the commonly accepted theories.

The next political element is that funding usually comes from either the government or, especially on medical issues, from Big Pharma. Thus we have studies that promulgate the issues of global warming and which promote (rather than expose) Big Pharma products. One of the editors of a medical journal reported (in an editorial in the journal) that over 50% of the studies cannot be reproduced. Notable on the political side of recent times we saw one or two studies published and then pulled from the major medical journals on the covid fiasco. We also had maybe an editorial or other non-study by Fauci (Feb 2020?) saying this covid stuff would be like the flu. So people can decide whether he was telling the truth then or whether he is telling the truth now.

We can then say that some real science goes on, yet many journals are not good at publishing the best of the scientific studies. I suspect however that there still are some decent studies that get published. On the other hand, we have had studies that said eggs were bad -- and now they are good for you.

Comment

Btw, guess whose name is among the group of 27 "prominent public health scientists outside of china" pushing back against the lab leak story? Any guesses?

Peter Daszak.

Does that name ring a bell?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              Btw, guess whose name is among the group of 27 "prominent public health scientists outside of china" pushing back against the lab leak story? Any guesses?

Peter Daszak.

Does that name ring a bell?
                              Who is Peter Daszak, the nonprofit exec who sent taxpayer money to Wuhan lab?

https://nypost.com/2021/06/04/who-is...-to-wuhan-lab/

Comment