Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"It’s dehumanizing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The lack of local abortion clinics and the cost of the operation contribute to the time it takes for women [particularly those on low incomes] to obtain the funds to permit them [A] pay for the operation but also [B] fund their travel costs to their nearest clinic [which might be hundreds of kilometres away].

There is also the issue of time taken away from their place of work if they are employed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

[Written with sarcasm]
      Is that your best shot?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

[Written with sarcasm]
        Is that your best shot?
        Yes. Because you are upset because the woman wanting to kill her baby has a more difficult time doing so in Lubock. That is the purpose of the law, Hypatia. To make it more difficult or to prevent the woman from aborting her child. So I guess it is working.

But there is nothing to prevent an abortion clinic from setting up right outside the city limits, is there?

Comment

Yes. Because you are upset because the woman wanting to kill her baby has a more difficult time doing so in Lubock. That is the purpose of the law, Hypatia. To make it more difficult or to prevent the woman from aborting her child. So I guess it is working.
          NB I am not "upset".

It is interesting that you have not directly responded to my two questions.

You made a general remark "No it means that any citizen (who has a standing) can civilly sue everyone involved in an abortion except the mother. So the doctors, nurses, abortion clinic. The mother herself is exempt from a lawsuit"

However, all you wrote concerning my two questions was to offer an observation about going to another city for an abortion and when I noted the costs and time factor, you thought it amusing.

Of course that delay needed to secure funds results in the pregnancy advancing so that when the abortion finally is carried out it is done at a far later stage in the pregnancy. That simple fact does not seem to upset you.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          But there is nothing to prevent an abortion clinic from setting up right outside the city limits, is there?
          Let us hope that is the case.
          Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 06-11-2021, 09:02 AM.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yes and I have acknowledged that, as well as acknowledging your [unusually] witty remark pertaining to what I wrote.
            So, why would a woman want to abort herself?

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, why would a woman want to abort herself?
              We have both already dealt with this so kindly desist. You are becoming tedious.

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

We have both already dealt with this so kindly desist. You are becoming tedious.
                I mean, I guess if she found out she was pregnant, got into a fight with her husband and was depressed, she might decided to abort herself. But, rather than sue her perhaps we should offer her counseling. Do you not agree that would be a better solution?

Comment

NB I am not "upset".

Of course that delay needed to secure funds results in the pregnancy advancing so that when the abortion finally is carried out it is done at a far later stage in the pregnancy. That simple fact does not seem to upset you.

Something I had not considered - thanks!

--

Out of curiosity - do you believe that anti-abortion sentiment comes from

(1) a desire to control women
                  (2) a genuine belief that the unborn child is a human person, innocent of any crime, and therefore worthy of protection from those that would take its life?

I'm not asking to debate the legitimacy of 2, I'm just curious how you perceive the primary dynamic of those that argue against abortion at any time during the pregnancy.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

NB I am not "upset".

It is interesting that you have not directly responded to my two questions.

You made a general remark "No it means that any citizen (who has a standing) can civilly sue everyone involved in an abortion except the mother. So the doctors, nurses, abortion clinic. The mother herself is exempt from a lawsuit"

However, all you wrote concerning my two questions was to offer an observation about going to another city for an abortion and when I noted the costs and time factor, you thought it amusing.

No, it doesn't upset me. Anything that helps prevent an abortion is a good thing.

Let us hope that is the case.
                    Leave me out of that one. I hope the whole state and country follows suit.

Comment

No, it doesn't upset me. Anything that helps prevent an abortion is a good thing.
                      It would seem that the policy you advocate only ensures that when abortions do occur they are often done far later in the pregnancy.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Not necessarily it depends upon the length of gestation. She could end up suffering massive blood loss and potentially rendering herself infertile but she may well survive.

What provisions are in place to prevent a woman purchasing abortifacients on the net and very probably from another country?
                        Perhaps it will cause the woman to think twice before she murders her child.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It would seem that the policy you advocate only ensures that when abortions do occur they are often done far later in the pregnancy.

A woman who is determined to kill her baby will find a way. But perhaps she will decide to keep the child instead, or even put the baby up for adoption.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Something I had not considered - thanks!
                            It does not seem to bother the pro-birthers.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Out of curiosity - do you believe that anti-abortion sentiment comes from

(1) a desire to control women
                            Oh I think it is definitely that desire that lies at the root of it. Although the US Christian anti-abortion campaign arose as a result of from concerns about money not morality..

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            I'm just curious how you perceive the primary dynamic of those that argue against abortion at any time during the pregnancy.
                            I have mixed feelings about late abortions. However, apart from medical issues, it would appear that most of these are done because of lack of provision, as mentioned, the costs and difficulties of getting to an abortion clinic.

In my opinion the provision has to be there and easily accessed. Unwanted pregnancies will always happen. We read stories of dead newborns being found in rivers and rubbish tips. I therefore consider it far better to have legal and medically safe abortion available as early in the pregnancy as possible. There should also be easy access to the so-called Morning After pill or other over-the-counter drugs.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

But perhaps she will decide to keep the child instead
                              Or not.

Or have the child, suffer PND and kill it,

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              or even put the baby up for adoption.
                              How many millions of potential adoptive parents are out there in just the US alone?

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Perhaps it will cause the woman to think twice before she murders her child.
                                If she is suffering from severe blood loss it would appear she has decided to go ahead and attempt to abort the foetus.

If she can buy abortifacients on the net and from another country what is there to think about?
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment