Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"It’s dehumanizing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It’s dehumanizing"

Paxton Smith is right in her criticism of this near total ban. It is quite monstrous in its implications for women across the state and she does have a valid point about control of her own body if her contraception fails or she is raped.

The valedictorian at a Texas high school went off script while delivering her graduation speech, criticising the state’s extreme abortion ban in an address that has since been widely shared on social media.

School administrators had signed off on Paxton Smith’s pre-written speech on how TV and media have shaped her worldview. But, when it came time to address the graduating class of Lake Highlands high school, she pivoted.

“In light of recent events, it feels wrong to talk about anything but what is currently affecting me and millions of other women in this state,” she said, her voice shaking as she began.

“Starting in September, there will be a ban on abortion after six weeks of pregnancy, regardless of whether the pregnancy was the result of rape or incest.”

In May, the state’s governor, Greg Abbott, signed into law a near-total ban on abortions, prohibiting the procedure at six weeks, when most people do not even know that they are pregnant. The extreme ban also allows private citizens to sue any abortion provider or anyone who “aids and abets” an abortion that violates the restriction – opening the floodgates to harassment and frivolous lawsuits.

The law makes no exception for rape or incest, and advocates say it will, in effect, make abortion care impossible for women to access in the state.

“I have dreams, hopes and ambitions,” Smith said. “Every girl here does. We have spent our whole lives working towards our futures, and without our consent or input, our control over our futures has been stripped away from us.”

“I am terrified that if my contraceptives fail me, that if I’m raped, then my hopes and efforts and dreams for myself will no longer be relevant,” she added. “I hope you can feel how gut-wrenching it is, how dehumanizing it is, to have the autonomy over your own body taken from you.”

The speech has been viewed hundreds of thousands of times on TikTok and drew the attention of prominent political figures. Hillary Clinton, the 2016 presidential candidate and longtime activist for women’s rights, tweeted: “This took guts. Thank you for not staying silent, Paxton.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...h-abortion-ban
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3729671/

An interesting study put out in 2013 called
    Understanding why women seek abortions in the US.

It asked participants in the study two questions:
    “What are the reasons that you decided to have an abortion?”
    “What would you say was the main reason you decided to have an abortion?”

They have a nice chart that covers the answers. You know what answers didn't come up enough to even warrant a separate spot on the chart, and may be contained in the "other" section (1.2%)? Rape/Incest.

Comment

Good for Gov. Abbott and the Great State of Texas. Rape and incest should never be punished by executing the child of the perpetrator. (I'm fine with executing the perpetrator himself.)

Many (most?) Pro-Lifers are fake, because they don't even hesitate to make exceptions for rape and incest.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Paxton Smith is right in her criticism of this near total ban. It is quite monstrous in its implications for women across the state and she does have a valid point about control of her own body if her contraception fails or she is raped.
        It genuinely boggles my mind that liberals think it is "monstrous" for a woman to be legally prohibited from murdering her unborn child.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The valedictorian at a Texas high school went off script while delivering her graduation speech, criticising the state’s extreme abortion ban in an address that has since been widely shared on social media.

School administrators had signed off on Paxton Smith’s pre-written speech on how TV and media have shaped her worldview. But, when it came time to address the graduating class of Lake Highlands high school, she pivoted.

“In light of recent events, it feels wrong to talk about anything but what is currently affecting me and millions of other women in this state,” she said, her voice shaking as she began.

“Starting in September, there will be a ban on abortion after six weeks of pregnancy, regardless of whether the pregnancy was the result of rape or incest.”

In May, the state’s governor, Greg Abbott, signed into law a near-total ban on abortions, prohibiting the procedure at six weeks, when most people do not even know that they are pregnant. The extreme ban also allows private citizens to sue any abortion provider or anyone who “aids and abets” an abortion that violates the restriction – opening the floodgates to harassment and frivolous lawsuits.

The law makes no exception for rape or incest, and advocates say it will, in effect, make abortion care impossible for women to access in the state.

“I have dreams, hopes and ambitions,” Smith said. “Every girl here does. We have spent our whole lives working towards our futures, and without our consent or input, our control over our futures has been stripped away from us.”

“I am terrified that if my contraceptives fail me, that if I’m raped, then my hopes and efforts and dreams for myself will no longer be relevant,” she added. “I hope you can feel how gut-wrenching it is, how dehumanizing it is, to have the autonomy over your own body taken from you.”

The speech has been viewed hundreds of thousands of times on TikTok and drew the attention of prominent political figures. Hillary Clinton, the 2016 presidential candidate and longtime activist for women’s rights, tweeted: “This took guts. Thank you for not staying silent, Paxton.”

First, she's wrong about a total ban at six weeks. There is an exception clause for medical reasons. Given how that has been expanded to include mental health as well, this has meant that a woman can get an abortion if she says she's feeling blue this morning. Feeling depressed is considered a valid medical reason. That is a sizable loophole that will continue to be exploited. Moreover, morning after birth control medications will likely become more popular.

Second, someone having a heartbeat (or brainwaves) has always been the measure of life. She is whining that she cannot blithely snuff out another human life because it is in her way. Essentially, she is demanding that she be free to behave however she wants, completely free of consequence and responsibility.

Third, nobody is forcing anyone to get pregnant. Nobody has stripped anyone's future away from anyone in spite of the hyperbolic overwrought language. The Handmaiden's Tale is just poorly written fiction.

Fourth, guts? Guts? Saying something that you knew would cause the left to swoon and make you their newest celebutante? How exactly does that take guts? This is like the idiotic "speak truth to power" which nowadays means nothing more than saying something that the cheering crowd agrees with. It only takes guts if by saying it she faced potential serious repercussions. Instead, she'll be whisked from interview to interview where folks will giddily tell her how brave she was and likely get rewarded with a book deal

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Paxton Smith sounds like just another of the many attention seeking hysterical and unhinged ranting feminists. When they are pro choice they become especially vile.

Comment

well, at least it is a start, but it doesn't go far enough. We need to ban abortion at any stage of a pregnancy, except in cases of endangering the life of the mother (e.g. ectopic pregnancies)

Comment

s-l400.jpg
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

What women who claim that it's their right to do what they want with their own bodies fail to realize is that the unborn child isn't a part of their body.

It's someone else's body, and they have NO rights over anybody else.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

"It’s dehumanizing"
                    What is more dehumanizing than killing the unborn child?
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

What is more dehumanizing than killing the unborn child?
                      Declaring that the unborn child is less than human before killing him or her.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Donchaknow that the human embryo/fetus only becomes a petson worthy of life when wanted and planned? The personhood fairy causes them to become a person upon fully passing through the magical birth canal. It also magically turns a shapeless blob of celles into a real baby.

I'd really like to know how some people think fetal development works...
                        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                          https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3729671/

An interesting study put out in 2013 called
                          Understanding why women seek abortions in the US.

It asked participants in the study two questions:
                          “What are the reasons that you decided to have an abortion?”
                          “What would you say was the main reason you decided to have an abortion?”

They have a nice chart that covers the answers. You know what answers didn't come up enough to even warrant a separate spot on the chart, and may be contained in the "other" section (1.2%)? Rape/Incest.
                          That does not justify removing the exceptions. In fact, especially given the relatively small fraction of abortions that fit into that category, it makes a good case for saying the new law is purposefully punitive of women, in that it allows a rapist or incestuous father - in addition to the shock and trauma of the rape - to also take away the future of his victim wrt impact of becoming a mother before they are ready to do so, or at a minimum the trauma of having to bear and subsequently give away said child so as to give it and herself a chance for something other than poverty and single parenthood.

I am not by any means 'for' abortion and do believe there should be a time limit in that even in a non-religious, secular environment, the potential difference between the born child and the developing fetus that might justify abortion in a secular setting diminishes daily and at some point becomes so small abortion after that point must be considered equal to the killing of a child. Nevertheless, rape and incest do represent threats to the mother and her life and put us squarely into the 'self-defense' side of the abortion debate. In those cases, this is not 'abortion as birth control'. And given almost no-one would forbid abortion where the life of the mother is jeopardized by the pregnancy (and though the debate would hinge on how much the imposed pregnancy threatens the life and well being of the mother), there can be no other conclusion that what I stated above, that this Texas law in fact is punitive and extreme, disregarding the needs and trauma of a rape or incest victim.
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-03-2021, 10:13 AM.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

That does not justify removing the exceptions. In fact, it makes a good case for saying the new law is purposefully punitive of women, in that it allows a rapist or incestuous father - in addition to the shock and trauma of the rape - to also take away the future of his victim wrt impact of becoming a mother before they are ready to do so, or at a minimum the trauma of having to bear and subsequently give away said child so as to give it and herself a chance for something other than poverty and single parenthood.

I am not by any means 'for' abortion and do believe there should be a time limit in that even in a non-religious, secular environment, the potential difference between the born child and the developing fetus that might justify abortion in a secular setting diminishes daily and at some point becomes so small abortion after that point must be considered equal to the killing of a child. Nevertheless, rape and incest do represent threats to the mother and her life and put us squarely into the 'self-defense' side of the abortion debate. In those cases, this is not 'abortion as birth control'. And given almost no-one would forbid abortion where the life of the mother is jeopardized by the pregnancy, there can be no other conclusion that what I stated above, that this Texas law in fact is punitive and extreme, disregarding the needs and trauma of a rape or incest victim.
                            The way I see it is that the talk about "rape/incest" is really emotional cudgels trying to argue for the whole based on the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

well, at least it is a start, but it doesn't go far enough. We need to ban abortion at any stage of a pregnancy, except in cases of endangering the life of the mother (e.g. ectopic pregnancies)
                              That is way over the top Sparko. Especially wrt a secular government. There is no way to justify - in terms of secular, scientific reasoning - considering the earliest phase of pregnancy as more than a developing but as yet unrealized human being. The view you express is strictly a religious perspective, just as is the completely inverse Jewish view that the baby is not a soul until it takes it's first breath (tending to put most followers of judaism on the pro-choice side), There is no physical, scientific justification for either of these views, and the seperation of church and state tends to imply the laws must be based on when scientifically the developing fetus become a person in the eyes of the law in the same way the born child is a person in the eyes of the law. For End of Life, we handle that by looking at certain physiological factors (e.g. heart beat/brain wave activity). The logical thing to do is simply use similar criteria for Beginning of life.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-03-2021, 10:26 AM.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment