Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"It’s dehumanizing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It's the "Smarter-than-thou" game. Take this as a sign that you are "winning" as I often find she often starts throwing out these words when she starts being shown wrong. Its like a way of cushioning her ego. You know essentially going "Sure, I lost the point, but I'm still smarter than them, watch them struggle with this obscure word... HA! they didn't get it, I am smarter than them...that proves it...."
    You need to read back through the posts before offering your ten cents' worth. I made the remark to Sparko two or three days ago. . He's only just caught up.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Au contraire very relevant.

You appear to be carrying a metaphorical entire log on your shoulder, not the usual "chip".

Non sequitur.

Comment

You need to read back through the posts before offering your ten cents' worth. I made the remark to Sparko two or three days ago. . He's only just caught up.
        No. I ignored you and repeated what I actually said, not your obscure attempt at whatever that was.

You realize, right, that even if you were to use a word I don't know, it is a simple task to look it up? You know, the way you find the $50 words in the first place?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

No. I ignored you and repeated what I actually said, not your obscure attempt at whatever that was.

You realize, right, that even if you were to use a word I don't know, it is a simple task to look it up? You know, the way you find the $50 words in the first place?
          You had to look it up.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You had to look it up.
            You are so omnustrient.

Comment

You are so omnustrient.
              No. She got you. Since you had to look up the word you lost. Your mind is now shattered, you've been beaten to a pulp and will never have the strength to challenge her again. Her power over obscure English words has proven her your better and you will know now that you are below her.

Please gather what is left of psyche and proceed down to your proper place.

Comment

No. She got you. Since you had to look up the word you lost. Your mind is now shattered, you've been beaten to a pulp and will never have the strength to challenge her again. Her power over obscure English words has proven her your better and you will know now that you are below her.

Please gather what is left of psyche and proceed down to your proper place.

Comment

That's right, worm. Know your place amongst your betters. You didn't know an obscure word, may your God have mercy on your soul.

Comment

That's right, worm. Know your place amongst your betters. You didn't know an obscure word, may your God have mercy on your soul.
                    It is hardly an obscure word.

You reduce the language of Chaucer. Milton, and Shakespeare to 1000 words.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Omnustrient AND pretentious.

Comment

Given this site:
                        https://www.wordandphrase.info/frequencyList.asp

Does not list it in the top 60,000 words....I've hardly limited myself to 1000. But go ahead continue to play your ego-stroking games. Show us your superiority by knowing obscure words.
                        Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 06-14-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• I think I found one of the sites she uses: 100 Words to Make you Sound Smart.

Comment

I think I found one of the sites she uses: 100 Words to Make you Sound Smart.
                            I was playing a game online once with some people and said something along the lines of "It would behoove us to move along" in voice chat. Wasn't even thinking.

Their response:

"Dude, did you just use the word 'behoove'?"

We all had a big laugh about it.

Edit to add: I would say that's NOT one of her sites, out of those 100 words, there's probably only a few that I fail to recognize. She uses much more obscure words.
                            Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 06-14-2021, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I was playing a game online once with some people and said something along the lines of "It would behoove us to move along" in voice chat. Wasn't even thinking.

Their response:

"Dude, did you just use the word 'behoove'?"

We all had a big laugh about it.

Edit to add: I would say that's NOT one of her sites, out of those 100 words, there's probably only a few that I fail to recognize. She uses much more obscure words.
                              Perhaps: https://phrontistery.info/ihlstart.html

Anyone that tries that hard to find obscure words to toss out (and not even a native English speaker) is really trying hard to compensate for feelings of inferiority. Rather than making her sound smart, it makes her sound desperate.

Comment

Perhaps: https://phrontistery.info/ihlstart.html

Anyone that tries that hard to find obscure words to toss out (and not even a native English speaker) is really trying hard to compensate for feelings of inferiority. Rather than making her sound smart, it makes her sound desperate.
                                I truly believe it's a defensive mechanism. Something bruises her ego, so to compensate she uses obscure words. You have to keep in mind, you are a means to an end, it's really not about you so much as it is proving to herself she's smarter. It's like the muscle bound bully who hits the small guy. It's not about the small guy, it's about the big guy feeling better through hitting the small guy. The actual small guy is irrelevant and replaceable.

The only problem is that it's so blatantly transparent its not funny.

And don't worry, I'm certain she'll come in and comment on her being psychoanalyzed by us, its her way of dismissing the discomfort that comes from being seen through.

Comment