Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is BLM doing with all the money people donate to it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It continues...

Source: Black Lives Matter infighting reaches a boiling point as members demand 'accountability'

The BLM infighting comes on the heels of Patrisse Cullors announcing she would step down

Amid increased scrutiny of Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullor's lavish spending, including her reported purchases of multiple homes totaling upward of $3 million and the installation of fencing and an electric gate around one of those homes, the original ten BLM chapters are demanding more accountability and transparency from the BLM global network.

The BLM infighting comes on the heels of Cullors announcing she would step down from her role as the BLM foundation executive director as questions surrounding her finances swirled. Cullors, however, denied that her decision to resign had anything to do with that controversy, insisting she had planned to step away for more than a year.

But Cullors' move to step down is not enough to satisfy a growing number of BLM chapters' demand for change within the organization. Referring to initial calls for more transparency and accountability from the "BLM 10," the name for the ten original BLM chapters, a new group, deemed the "BLM 10 Plus" is now speaking out.

"The number of chapters that have aligned in support of our statement has nearly doubled. Some of these chapters have made their own statements echoing not only our call to accountability but also our experiences as we sought transparency, democracy, and internal transformation for years," a statement released by the BLM 10 Plus on Friday reads.

"The BLM 10 Plus continues the call for transparency and most importantly, for principled accountability in movement infrastructures. The issues we've highlighted within the Black Lives Matter movement are not unique to this group or to people of color. Grassroots movements have been co-opted across the globe and it is our intention to be a part of the collective creating processes based on integrity so that we, nor any other activist or advocate, encounters these avoidable issues in the future," the statement continues.

Among the most notable names joining forces with the BLM 10 Plus is Michael Brown Sr., the Ferguson, Missouri father of 18-year-old Michael Brown who was fatally shot by a White police officer in 2014.

According to the BLM 10 Plus, backlash that boiled over in November with a public statement critical of how BLM was being run resulted in the names of chapters that voice disagreement being removed from the BLM Global Network website.

All of this comes just days after the BLM Global network reiterated its commitment to the "on-the-ground grassroots work of organizers, chapters, and communities around the world."

"Over the past six months, BLM Grassroots has created a process for onboarding new chapters that will nourish our collective vision for Black freedom. Together we will build, grow, and expand while harnessing the wisdom learned over the past 8 years," the BLM Global network said.

"As we work to bring these new chapters into the fold worldwide, we are resolute in our commitment to Black liberation and to principled struggle. Now is the time to fortify our deep roots while strengthening new relationships and strategic work."

BLM 10 Plus and the BLM Global Network did not return Fox News' request for comment.

Sources

© Copyright Original Source

I already heard that Cullors said she was stepping down. I guess she hopes that will make the mounting questions concerning financing go away

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The question is, have they actually done anything illegal? It seems if the critics really wanted to get something done then they would take the organization to court, but if no laws were broken, and they're just upset that the heads of Black Lives Matter are not sharing the wealth, well, there's really nothing they can do.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        The question is, have they actually done anything illegal? It seems if the critics really wanted to get something done then they would take the organization to court, but if no laws were broken, and they're just upset that the heads of Black Lives Matter are not sharing the wealth, well, there's really nothing they can do.
        Well I guess they need an audit to figure that out.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Buying nice houses in predominantly white neighborhoods.

Next question.
          So, they have something in common with these individuals then?

https://www.therichest.com/money/mil...ty-lifestyles/

Their lifestyles include mansions, collections of planes, private jets, and at least one Rolls Royce. And all tax free!

Such behaviour among church leaders does rather clash with the injunctions to "go, sell what you own, and give the money[c] to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” [Mark 10.21] or "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust[g] consume and where thieves break in and steal" [Matthew 6.19]

Of course they are not the only ones. https://www.tithing.com/blog/list-of...-and-mansions/

I rather liked this.

Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 06-13-2021, 08:20 AM.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Their lifestyles include mansions, collections of planes, private jets, and at least one Rolls Royce. And all tax free!

Such behaviour among church leaders does rather clash with the injunctions to "go, sell what you own, and give the money[c] to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” [Mark 10.21] or "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust[g] consume and where thieves break in and steal" [Matthew 6.19]

Of course they are not the only ones. https://www.tithing.com/blog/list-of...-and-mansions/

I rather liked this.

I agree, BLM seems to have alot in common with Televangelist types. Though, what relevance that actually has on this topic other than you taking a chance to show your disdain of religion again.

Comment

I rather liked this.

Did any of them get their wealth by promising to help troubled communities and families of those killed in confrontations with the police? Or just raising money for a cause or a charity, and then keep it all?

If not, what exactly is your point?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Did any of them get their wealth by promising to help troubled communities and families of those killed in confrontations with the police? Or just raising money for a cause or a charity, and then keep it all?

If not, what exactly is your point?
                My point refers to the two gospels verses which [I assume] those "pastors" believe to have been spoken by their deity.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I don't think anybody here considers those "Christian" false prophets to be anything more than charlatans.

And HA once again is all derail and whataboutism.

She never changes her tactics, does she?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    I don't think anybody here considers those "Christian" false prophets to be anything more than charlatans.

That ^^^

It's one thing to decide that you don't want to discuss a subject but with H_A, she tries to keep others from doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I agree, BLM seems to have alot in common with Televangelist types. Though, what relevance that actually has on this topic other than you taking a chance to show your disdain of religion again.
                      It is amusing that condemnation, which may be unfounded, see here https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/f...te/7241450002/ is being directed against a BLM spokesperson while across the USA Christians happily tithe to let [in several instances] their pastors live rock star lifestyles, which are the antithesis of the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as we have them. Hypocrisy rules.

I do not recall reading any gospel verses where Jesus advises his disciples to take their Centurion American Express cards with them when they go out on their missions.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It is amusing that condemnation, which may be unfounded, see here https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/f...te/7241450002/ is being directed against a BLM spokesperson while across the USA Christians happily tithe to let [in several instances] their pastors live rock star lifestyles, which are the antithesis of the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as we have them. Hypocrisy rules.

I do not recall reading any gospel verses where Jesus advises his disciples to take their Centurion American Express cards with them when they go out on their missions.

I guess you didn't see my response here. Because you can't see past the end of your own ignorance.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I would suggest that some Christians in the USA look to the double standards among their own religious leaders, many of whom who live millionaire lifestyles, before pointing the finger at others.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Are there not some verses in Matthew and Luke about beams and motes?

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Most folks realize that the avowed "trained Marxist" used money she was paid for book deals and the like to buy mansions in exclusive majority white neighborhoods (and is now building gates around her properties). That isn't the issue and those who keep seeking to confuse things or battle a straw man aren't relevant. It is what has happened to the many tens of millions of dollars contributed by virtue signaling corporations and individuals that was promised would be used to help troubled neighborhoods and families of those who lost someone during a confrontation with the police.

As for the flock fleecers that you mention, you'll see such charlatans being castigated regularly on this site -- some times with ridicule such as this from me about a week ago in the "Keeping the Forum Alive" thread:

Originally posted by rogue06

If Creflo could do that he wouldn't need to keep bilking
                            his congregation for more money for a new jet

Comment

I would suggest that some Christians in the USA look to the double standards among their own religious leaders, many of whom who live millionaire lifestyles, before pointing the finger at others.

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Are there not some verses in Matthew and Luke about beams and motes?

Those false prophets have indeed led many professing believers astray. Those undiscerning ones will have to answer to God for their weaknesses.

But I don't think any believers HERE would agree with anything those false prophets are doing. Which is what I already said, twit.

And you continue to derail without addressing the op. If I had started this thread I would have thrown you out at the beginning.

Comment

Ah, so just your own prejudices, and standard derailment.

Comment