Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chicago mayor refuses to speak with white reporters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago mayor refuses to speak with white reporters

Imagine the outrage if a mayor declared that they won't do interviews with any black reporters.

Source: Lightfoot slams 'overwhelming whiteness' of Chicago press, defends speaking only to reporters of color

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot defended her controversial announcement to grant individual interviews only to journalists of color and blasted the city's media institutions for their "overwhelming whiteness and maleness" in an extraordinary letter on Wednesday.

Upon the two-year anniversary of her election, Democrat Lightfoot has drawn outrage after White journalists were told by her press office that they couldn't interview her one-on-one because of their skin color.

In a two-page letter to the media, Lightfoot, the first Black woman as well as the first openly gay mayor in Chicago's history, praised her own 2019 election for "breaking barriers" and took a shot at media organizations in the city for not adequately addressing "institutionalized racism" in their ranks. Her decision to temporarily speak only to Black and Brown reporters, she said, was part of her lifelong battle to fight for diversity and inclusion.

"In looking at the absence of diversity across the City Hall press corps and other newsrooms, sadly it does not appear that many of the media institutions in Chicago have caught on and truly have not embraced this moment," she wrote. "I have been struck since my first day on the campaign trail back in 2018 by the overwhelming whiteness and maleness of Chicago media outlets, editorial boards, the political press corps, and yes, the City Hall press corps specifically."

Lightfoot reeled off the diversity of the city's leadership, including its "majority Black and Latinx City Council," and called it "unacceptable" that most reporters covering City Hall were White.

"Many of them are smart and hard-working, savvy and skilled. But mostly white, nonetheless," she wrote.

She lectured the Chicago media leadership to evolve and diversify, for fear that "this arm of our democratic system is on life support."

Lightfoot has taken heavy criticism for banning White reporters from speaking with her, with one Latino Chicago Tribune reporter saying he had canceled his scheduled interview with her in protest.

"Fact is, elected officials, candidates, celebrities, athletes etc. choose who they want to interview them all the time. They just don't do so on the basis of race or gender. Or at least they don't admit they do," the Washington Post's Paul Farhi tweeted.

Lightfoot said she frequently received concern from "Black and Brown community leaders" that media coverage was biased in some form, but she often stayed quiet publicly for fear of being accused of playing the race card.

"This isn't my job. It shouldn't be," she wrote. "I don't have time for it. But as with so many festering problems, it has only gotten worse with time. So here I am, like so many other Black women before me, having to call your attention to this problem."

Lightfoot concluded the letter by challenging media outlets to hire more women of color at their outlets and to analyze their own coverage for examples of bias. If an outlet only had a White reporter covering City Hall, she suggested, "make sure there's a person of color working with them as well."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Liberals. Always demanding quotas based on appearance while simultaneously demanding no diversity of thought.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Imagine the outrage if a mayor declared that they won't do interviews with any black reporters.

Source: Lightfoot slams 'overwhelming whiteness' of Chicago press, defends speaking only to reporters of color

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot defended her controversial announcement to grant individual interviews only to journalists of color and blasted the city's media institutions for their "overwhelming whiteness and maleness" in an extraordinary letter on Wednesday.

Upon the two-year anniversary of her election, Democrat Lightfoot has drawn outrage after White journalists were told by her press office that they couldn't interview her one-on-one because of their skin color.

In a two-page letter to the media, Lightfoot, the first Black woman as well as the first openly gay mayor in Chicago's history, praised her own 2019 election for "breaking barriers" and took a shot at media organizations in the city for not adequately addressing "institutionalized racism" in their ranks. Her decision to temporarily speak only to Black and Brown reporters, she said, was part of her lifelong battle to fight for diversity and inclusion.

"In looking at the absence of diversity across the City Hall press corps and other newsrooms, sadly it does not appear that many of the media institutions in Chicago have caught on and truly have not embraced this moment," she wrote. "I have been struck since my first day on the campaign trail back in 2018 by the overwhelming whiteness and maleness of Chicago media outlets, editorial boards, the political press corps, and yes, the City Hall press corps specifically."

Lightfoot reeled off the diversity of the city's leadership, including its "majority Black and Latinx City Council," and called it "unacceptable" that most reporters covering City Hall were White.

"Many of them are smart and hard-working, savvy and skilled. But mostly white, nonetheless," she wrote.

She lectured the Chicago media leadership to evolve and diversify, for fear that "this arm of our democratic system is on life support."

Lightfoot has taken heavy criticism for banning White reporters from speaking with her, with one Latino Chicago Tribune reporter saying he had canceled his scheduled interview with her in protest.

"Fact is, elected officials, candidates, celebrities, athletes etc. choose who they want to interview them all the time. They just don't do so on the basis of race or gender. Or at least they don't admit they do," the Washington Post's Paul Farhi tweeted.

Lightfoot said she frequently received concern from "Black and Brown community leaders" that media coverage was biased in some form, but she often stayed quiet publicly for fear of being accused of playing the race card.

"This isn't my job. It shouldn't be," she wrote. "I don't have time for it. But as with so many festering problems, it has only gotten worse with time. So here I am, like so many other Black women before me, having to call your attention to this problem."

Lightfoot concluded the letter by challenging media outlets to hire more women of color at their outlets and to analyze their own coverage for examples of bias. If an outlet only had a White reporter covering City Hall, she suggested, "make sure there's a person of color working with them as well."

Source

Liberals. Always demanding quotas based on appearance while simultaneously demanding no diversity of thought.

There seems to be a pattern of adopting racist tactics, then justifying them with the language of social justice.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

There seems to be a pattern of adopting racist tactics, then justifying them with the language of social justice.
      You're starting to get it.

Comment

I admire the Hispanic reporter for putting his professional reputation and opportunities on the line and standing up for others in his profession.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I admire the Hispanic reporter for putting his professional reputation and opportunities on the line and standing up for others in his profession.
          smiley agree.gif

Gotta use that since the only one we have...

And it doesn't even spell ditto right

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Source

Proving she is a racist.

Comment

Source

It looks like ABC, CBS and NBC (the Big 3) along with MSNBC have said nothing about Lightfoot's Tuesday morning announcement. Maybe that will change with the the Big 3 nightly newscasts in about an hour

OTOH, CNN... Well...

Source: CNN Defends Chicago Mayor’s RACIST New Policy for the Press, Nets Ignore

The mayor of Chicago has instituted a racist new policy, saying she will only give one-on-one interviews to Black or Brown journalists. The shocking and blatantly discriminatory move has been buried by network press. So far, ABC, CBS and NBC have totally ignored the story and CNN has allowed minimal coverage, but defended Lori Lightfoot’s move as a win for diversity and that no one should be “troubled” by it. MSNBC also has been MIA in coverage.

On Tuesday, local NBC5 Chicago reporter Mary Ann Ahern confirmed in a tweet that the Chicago mayor would now officially be discriminating.

Yet, the network morning and evening newscasts on the networks have refused to report on the decision. Fox News has covered it extensively while CNN has massively underplayed it. The network did a brief mention at 5:39 AM on Thursday. Then, the network’s morning show, New Day, even defended it. Host John Berman brought on liberal Chicago Sun Times reporter Lynn Sweet on. She dismissed the segregationist policy as perfectly fine:

I just want to say from the beginning, I am not troubled by this. I've been part of the Chicago press corps for a long, long time and Lori Lightfoot did not say anything that we did not know.

Sweet hailed the action as nothing more than diversity in action: "For one day, she’s trying to shake everybody up and shine a spotlight on the lack of diversity in the City Hall press corps…. Chicago is a very diverse city when newsrooms are not."

Fox News has provided extensive coverage to the controversy. Naturally, the two journalists took a shot at the cable competitors for actually doing their jobs:
              JOHN BERMAN: WELL, SOME PEOPLE ARE PLAYING IT — SO, YOU KNOW, SOME PEOPLE ARE PLAYING IT BASICALLY AS NO WHITES ALLOWED. THAT’S HOW IT’S BEING PORTRAYED, AS YOU CAN IMAGINE, ON AN ENTIRE CABLE NETWORK.

LYNN SWEET: ABSOLUTELY, AND I SEE WHAT’S HAPPENING AND I SEE HOW THE RIGHT-WING PRESS IS PLAYING THIS. BUT EVERYBODY TAKE A DEEP BREATH. THAT’S NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING.

The New Day segment on Thursday lasted 3 minutes and 20 seconds. Both Sinclair and Nexstar covered it on Wednesday night and Thursday morning with reporting on National Desk and NewsNation. On Monday, MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle interviewed Lightfoot for 3 minutes and 17 seconds. The new policy never came up, though, as FoxNews.com explained, it’s not totally clear when it was officially instituted.

Source

The story includes a video of the CNN segment embedded in it as well as the transcript, which, like the portions I put in boxes, is center-spaced turquoise-colored letters

And if only people of color are permitted access why would it not be fair to say it is a no whites allowed policy?
              Last edited by rogue06; 05-20-2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

It looks like ABC, CBS and NBC (the Big 3) along with MSNBC have said nothing about Lightfoot's Tuesday morning announcement. Maybe that will change with the the Big 3 nightly newscasts in about an hour

OTOH, CNN... Well...

Source: CNN Defends Chicago Mayor’s RACIST New Policy for the Press, Nets Ignore

The mayor of Chicago has instituted a racist new policy, saying she will only give one-on-one interviews to Black or Brown journalists. The shocking and blatantly discriminatory move has been buried by network press. So far, ABC, CBS and NBC have totally ignored the story and CNN has allowed minimal coverage, but defended Lori Lightfoot’s move as a win for diversity and that no one should be “troubled” by it. MSNBC also has been MIA in coverage.

On Tuesday, local NBC5 Chicago reporter Mary Ann Ahern confirmed in a tweet that the Chicago mayor would now officially be discriminating.

Yet, the network morning and evening newscasts on the networks have refused to report on the decision. Fox News has covered it extensively while CNN has massively underplayed it. The network did a brief mention at 5:39 AM on Thursday. Then, the network’s morning show, New Day, even defended it. Host John Berman brought on liberal Chicago Sun Times reporter Lynn Sweet on. She dismissed the segregationist policy as perfectly fine:

I just want to say from the beginning, I am not troubled by this. I've been part of the Chicago press corps for a long, long time and Lori Lightfoot did not say anything that we did not know.

Sweet hailed the action as nothing more than diversity in action: "For one day, she’s trying to shake everybody up and shine a spotlight on the lack of diversity in the City Hall press corps…. Chicago is a very diverse city when newsrooms are not."

Fox News has provided extensive coverage to the controversy. Naturally, the two journalists took a shot at the cable competitors for actually doing their jobs:
                JOHN BERMAN: WELL, SOME PEOPLE ARE PLAYING IT — SO, YOU KNOW, SOME PEOPLE ARE PLAYING IT BASICALLY AS NO WHITES ALLOWED. THAT’S HOW IT’S BEING PORTRAYED, AS YOU CAN IMAGINE, ON AN ENTIRE CABLE NETWORK.

LYNN SWEET: ABSOLUTELY, AND I SEE WHAT’S HAPPENING AND I SEE HOW THE RIGHT-WING PRESS IS PLAYING THIS. BUT EVERYBODY TAKE A DEEP BREATH. THAT’S NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING.

The New Day segment on Thursday lasted 3 minutes and 20 seconds. Both Sinclair and Nexstar covered it on Wednesday night and Thursday morning with reporting on National Desk and NewsNation. On Monday, MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle interviewed Lightfoot for 3 minutes and 17 seconds. The new policy never came up, though, as FoxNews.com explained, it’s not totally clear when it was officially instituted.

Source

The story includes a video of the CNN segment embedded in it as well as the transcript, which, like the portions I put in boxes, is center-spaced turquoise-colored letters

And if only people of color are permitted access why would it not be fair to say it is a no whites allowed policy?
                Because, the motive of including only black and brown people is better spin than excluding white people.

Comment

Apparently the new woke definition for racism excludes the concept of discriminating against someone based on their race.

Comment

That should wipe out her chances for reelection, in a rational world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That should wipe out her chances for reelection, in a rational world.
                      Depends on how many fall for the line about how her behavior demonstrated that she's an "empowered" woman etc.

Comment

Depends on how many fall for the line about how her behavior demonstrated that she's an "empowered" woman etc.
                        Its not about "buying"

Motivated reasoning is a phenomenon studied in cognitive science and social psychology that uses emotionally biased reasoning to produce justifications or make decisions that are most desired rather than those that accurately reflect the evidence, while still reducing cognitive dissonance. In other words, motivated reasoning is the "tendency to find arguments in favor of conclusions we want to believe to be stronger than arguments for conclusions we do not want to believe".[1]

Comment

It appears that our liberal members don't have a problem with Lightfoot's naked racism

Comment

It appears that our liberal members don't have a problem with Lightfoot's naked racism
                            I'd love to hear your reasoning on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I'd love to hear your reasoning on that one.

After two days the silence speaks for itself

Comment