Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pro-Palestinian mob accused of attacking Jewish diners in LA, possible hate crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro-Palestinian mob accused of attacking Jewish diners in LA, possible hate crime

Huh. I wonder what could have happened over the last 4 years to have people think that violence was the correct way to handle political disagreements?

I also thought that this whole thing was just Anti-Israel, not Anti-semitic....

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-garcetti-palestinian-attack-jewish

An alleged violent attack on Jewish diners by a mob of pro-Palestinian supporters in Los Angeles on Tuesday night was being investigated as a possible hate crime, and triggered condemnation from Mayor Eric Garcetti.

Video footage of the attack posted to social media shows a group attacking at least two people outside the Sushi Fumi restaurant in the city's Beverly Grove neighborhood, west of downtown Los Angeles.

In a pair of tweets addressing the violence, Garcetti, a Democrat, wrote there was "no place for anti-Semitism, discrimination, or prejudice of any kind in Los Angeles. And we will never tolerate bigotry and violence in our communities."

In various video clips, one man was seen being thrown to the ground while another grabs a line divider pole separating the sidewalk from an outdoor dining area and swings it at the attackers.

He then tried to run away, but two men grabbed him, kicked him and punched him before they ran off seconds later.

In a subsequent video, a witness was heard off-camera saying a group of pro-Palestinian supporters were in a car and got out near the restaurant.

"A group of Palestinians, about 30 of them, jumped out of a car and asked who was Jewish," the person said. "Two guys said they were and they proceeded to beat them up."

Moments before the attack, a group of Palestinian supporters were in a vehicle waving a giant flag and shouting anti-Semitic slurs through a megaphone, according to additional footage.

"Somebody in one of the cars driving by started throwing glass bottles or glass cups at the tables and they shattered everywhere," an unidentified woman told KCBS-TV.

© Copyright Original Source

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    Huh. I wonder what could have happened over the last 4 years to have people think that violence was the correct way to handle political disagreements?

I also thought that this whole thing was just Anti-Israel, not Anti-semitic....

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-garcetti-palestinian-attack-jewish

An alleged violent attack on Jewish diners by a mob of pro-Palestinian supporters in Los Angeles on Tuesday night was being investigated as a possible hate crime, and triggered condemnation from Mayor Eric Garcetti.

Video footage of the attack posted to social media shows a group attacking at least two people outside the Sushi Fumi restaurant in the city's Beverly Grove neighborhood, west of downtown Los Angeles.

In a pair of tweets addressing the violence, Garcetti, a Democrat, wrote there was "no place for anti-Semitism, discrimination, or prejudice of any kind in Los Angeles. And we will never tolerate bigotry and violence in our communities."

In various video clips, one man was seen being thrown to the ground while another grabs a line divider pole separating the sidewalk from an outdoor dining area and swings it at the attackers.

He then tried to run away, but two men grabbed him, kicked him and punched him before they ran off seconds later.

In a subsequent video, a witness was heard off-camera saying a group of pro-Palestinian supporters were in a car and got out near the restaurant.

"A group of Palestinians, about 30 of them, jumped out of a car and asked who was Jewish," the person said. "Two guys said they were and they proceeded to beat them up."

Moments before the attack, a group of Palestinian supporters were in a vehicle waving a giant flag and shouting anti-Semitic slurs through a megaphone, according to additional footage.

"Somebody in one of the cars driving by started throwing glass bottles or glass cups at the tables and they shattered everywhere," an unidentified woman told KCBS-TV.

Attacks and harassment of Jews on our college campuses have seen a substantial increase in the past couple of decades, so it was inevitable that we would see it elsewhere as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"A group of Palestinians, about 30 of them, jumped out of a car and asked who was Jewish," the person said. "Two guys said they were and they proceeded to beat them up.]
      Was it a clown car?

Comment

Apparently random attacks on Jewish people are on the rise across the country. It seems the distinction between anti-Semitic and anti-Israel is not as sharply defined as liberals would have us believe.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Apparently random attacks on Jewish people are on the rise across the country. It seems the distinction between anti-Semitic and anti-Israel is not as sharply defined as liberals would have us believe.
          I'm not surprised. To be honest, people have a hard time not transferring hate from a group/organization/country to the members of that group/organization/country. Look how liberals went after maga hat wearers. It was "you are marginally connected to a person I don't like, therefore I don't like you".

Comment

"Alleged" violence?

Looks pretty not alleged but cut and dry to me.

It's happening here, too. Nothing violent.....yet. And authorities are so busy arresting pastors and restaurant owners that they can't be bothered with breaking up or even discouraging anti-Israel protests.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I'm not surprised. To be honest, people have a hard time not transferring hate from a group/organization/country to the members of that group/organization/country. Look how liberals went after maga hat wearers. It was "you are marginally connected to a person I don't like, therefore I don't like you".
              And many on the left declared that they were "asking for it" by wearing it.

Given how they've largely repudiated the concept of free speech in recent years, I wonder if they'll be telling women that they were "asking for it" by wearing skimpy clothes after getting assaulted.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Even more pro-palestinian violence.

Just remember to cite that "criticism of Israel does not mean anti-semitism" as a defense, Then ignore what happened at the protests.

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-city-unrest-pro-palestinian-protesters

Videos are continuing to emerge exposing violent unrest reportedly involving pro-Palestinian protesters in New York City following the announcement of a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas Thursday night.

A clip posted on Twitter by former New York State Assemblyman Dov Hikind purportedly showed a group of men kicking and attacking an individual on the ground in the middle of a street before running away.

"Jewish man savagely beaten by Palestinian mob in NYC!" Hikind tweeted Thursday night. "Look at how shameless they are to commit such brazen violence against innocent people!"

The affiliations of the individuals in the footage could not be independently verified.

The NYPD Hate Crimes Unit later tweeted it is "investigating a gang assault of a Jewish man in Times Square that happened this evening." However, the NYPD couldn’t confirm to Fox News on Friday whether Hikind’s footage was of the incident the Hate Crimes Unit was referring to.

Elsewhere, a video appeared to show a pro-Palestinian protester spitting toward a group of diners eating outside at Benjamin’s Steakhouse in Manhattan.

"F--- you b----!" a man is heard saying.

Waiters then intervene in an attempt to calm down and disperse the raucous crowd. It was not immediately clear what sparked the confrontation.

Comment

Mindless violence and ignorance exists everywhere. I seem to recall the Charlottesville Alt-Right, protesters chanting "Jews will not replace us" .The mentality is precisely the same.

Then there was the murder of Balbir Singh Sodhi in Arizona shortly after 9/11. He was a Sikh whom Frank Silva Roque, his murderer, believed to be an Arab. Roque also fired shots at an American Lebanese citizen and at the home of an Afghan family.

The local county attorney noted, "Sodhi was killed for no other apparent reason than that he was dark-skinned and wore a turban", and according to statistics compiled by the FBI similar violence crimes against Muslims and Arabs in the US rose by 1,700 per cent in 2001.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/deat...crime-1.382747
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    Mindless violence and ignorance exists everywhere. I seem to recall the Charlottesville Alt-Right, protesters chanting "Jews will not replace us" .The mentality is precisely the same.

Then there was the murder of Balbir Singh Sodhi in Arizona shortly after 9/11. He was a Sikh whom Frank Silva Roque, his murderer, believed to be an Arab. Roque also fired shots at an American Lebanese citizen and at the home of an Afghan family.

The local county attorney noted, "Sodhi was killed for no other apparent reason than that he was dark-skinned and wore a turban", and according to statistics compiled by the FBI similar violence crimes against Muslims and Arabs in the US rose by 1,700 per cent in 2001.

So, instead of addressing pro palestinian attacks against jews, you deflect to other, un related attacks. Why? Are you trying to downplay the violence, excuse it, why not address the actual attack?

Comment

So, instead of addressing pro palestinian attacks against jews, you deflect to other, un related attacks. Why? Are you trying to downplay the violence, excuse it, why not address the actual attack?
                      No simply pointing out that mindless violence and ignorance exists everywhere.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

No simply pointing out that mindless violence and ignorance exists everywhere.
                        So, deflection. Ok, do you care to address the actual topic, or are you going to continue to deflect away from attacks on jews by pro-palestinian backers?

Comment

So, deflection. Ok, do you care to address the actual topic, or are you going to continue to deflect away from attacks on jews by pro-palestinian backers?

I have addressed the topic and noted that mindless violence and ignorance exists everywhere.

Unless of course you are taking a partisan view on mindless violence and ignorance.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Whataboutism rears its head.

Indeed you can find such attitudes to varying degrees virtually anywhere but at least here in the U.S., those where we currently see the most virulent Anti-Semitism is on the left and among there "allies." Worse, they, with the help of the MSM, pretend it doesn't exist. For instance, after one of Rep. Ilhan Omar's (D-MN) regular Anti-Semitic rants, the current Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi circled the wagons around her and proclaimed that there is no "taint" of Anti-Semitism in the Democratic Party. End of story. Everyone can move along now.

One of the hot spots for Anti-Semitic activity are American college and university campuses -- not exactly bastions of conservative Christian thought and values. Anti-Semitic speakers, including unabashed Holocaust deniers, are all too frequent guest speakers there[1], with those who invite and defend them sometimes getting important jobs in the Biden Administration.

According to Hillel International, "Government data shows that religious-based hate crimes on college campuses roughly doubled between 2009 and 2017; a majority of these reported crimes targeted Jews." They even note that in the 2019-20 school year, Anti-Semitic incidents on campuses in North America reached "an all-time high, even with months of campuses being physically closed due to COVID-19."

Interestingly, a 2014 study conducted by Brandeis University found that hostility toward Jews on campus is far more likely to be seen as a problem by conservative students than it is among liberals:

Political conservatives were also more likely to see hostility toward Jews as a problem than moderates or liberals, and this difference remains even after controlling for this group’s higher level of connection to Israel

See also: Responding to Rise in Campus Anti-Semitism

While most on the left still vehemently oppose violent Antisemitism more and more are embracing what Ben Cohen termed "bistro" Anti-Semitism which is basically Anti-Semitism with a polite face.

FWIU, a Hispanic registered Democrat.

1. This is excused by declaring that controversial speech is often welcomed at universities more than in other venues. Of course the problem is that is not true any longer. Such campuses are now the home of "free speech zones" (the only place things that the left don't like can be said), speech codes, "micro-aggressions" (where speech the left doesn't like is likened to an assault), "safe zones" and the like. Moreover, conservative speakers are rarely if ever invited to speak, and when they are the offer is typically either rescinded or if they do speak they often face violent protestors that often include members of the faculty.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Whataboutism rears its head.

Indeed you can find such attitudes to varying degrees virtually anywhere but at least here in the U.S., those where we currently see the most virulent Anti-Semitism is on the left and among there "allies." Worse, they, with the help of the MSM, pretend it doesn't exist. For instance, after one of Rep. Ilhan Omar's (D-MN) regular Anti-Semitic rants, the current Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi circled the wagons around her and proclaimed that there is no "taint" of Anti-Semitism in the Democratic Party. End of story. Everyone can move along now.

One of the hot spots for Anti-Semitic activity are American college and university campuses -- not exactly bastions of conservative Christian thought and values. Anti-Semitic speakers, including unabashed Holocaust deniers, are all too frequent guest speakers there[1], with those who invite and defend them sometimes getting important jobs in the Biden Administration.

According to Hillel International, "Government data shows that religious-based hate crimes on college campuses roughly doubled between 2009 and 2017; a majority of these reported crimes targeted Jews." They even note that in the 2019-20 school year, Anti-Semitic incidents on campuses in North America reached "an all-time high, even with months of campuses being physically closed due to COVID-19."

Interestingly, a 2014 study conducted by Brandeis University found that hostility toward Jews on campus is far more likely to be seen as a problem by conservative students than it is among liberals:

Political conservatives were also more likely to see hostility toward Jews as a problem than moderates or liberals, and this difference remains even after controlling for this group’s higher level of connection to Israel

See also: Responding to Rise in Campus Anti-Semitism

While most on the left still vehemently oppose violent Antisemitism more and more are embracing what Ben Cohen termed "bistro" Anti-Semitism which is basically Anti-Semitism with a polite face.

FWIU, a Hispanic registered Democrat.

1. This is excused by declaring that controversial speech is often welcomed at universities more than in other venues. Of course the problem is that is not true any longer. Such campuses are now the home of "free speech zones" (the only place things that the left don't like can be said), speech codes, "micro-aggressions" (where speech the left doesn't like is likened to an assault), "safe zones" and the like. Moreover, conservative speakers are rarely if ever invited to speak, and when they are the offer is typically either rescinded or if they do speak they often face violent protestors that often include members of the faculty.
                              What precise point are you endeavouring to make with this confection?

The fact remains that mindless violence and ignorance exists everywhere. It is not the preserve of one particular group.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment