Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Many Parts Vital For Solar Panels Come from Uyghur Concentration Camps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Parts Vital For Solar Panels Come from Uyghur Concentration Camps

Looks like that green energy is a little red with blood. A number of important parts used in solar panels worldwide, come from forced Uyghur labor in China's Uyghur concentration camps.

Forced labour from Uyghurs in Xinjiang behind global supply of solar panels: Investigation

The global production of solar panels depends upon forced labour from Uyghurs Muslims in China's Xinjiang province, an investigation shows.

A study conducted by United Kingdom's Sheffield Hallam University said Chinese "labour transfers" in the northwest Xinjian region, where the Chinese government has been accused of committing genocide, is deployed in "an environment of unprecedented coercion, undergirded by the constant threat of re-education and internment".
    The paper reveals the ways forced labour in the Uyghur Region can pervade an entire supply chain and reach deep into international markets.
    In the course of the research, the researchers identified 11 companies engaged in forced labour transfers, 4 additional companies located within industrial parks that have accepted labour transfers and 90 Chinese and international companies whose supply chains are affected
    The investigation "determined that many of the major Chinese producers of raw materials, solar-grade polysilicon, ingots and wafers integral to solar module manufacturing are operating facilities in the region that have employed forced labour transfers of the indigenous people of the region, and that many of these manufacturers have beneficial relationships with the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps".
    "These manufacturers' adoption of compulsory labour has a significant impact on downstream producers of solar modules and for the governments, developers, and consumers who buy them," the report said.
    The researchers concluded: 'Many indigenous workers are unable to refuse or walk away from these jobs, and thus the programmes are tantamount to forcible transfer of populations and enslavement.'
    Recently, United States Special Envoy on Climate, John Kerry acknowledged that importing solar panel from Xinjiang is a problem due to forced labour by Uyghurs in the region and indicated that the Biden administration is considering sanctions over China's use of forced labour in the production of solar panels.
    Xinjiang produces about 45 per cent of the world's supply of the key component, polysilicon, the research by the UK's Sheffield Hallam University says.
    China has been rebuked globally for cracking down on Uyghur Muslims by sending them to mass detention camps, interfering in their religious activities and sending members of the community to undergo some form of forcible re-education or indoctrination.
    Beijing, on the other hand, has vehemently denied that it is engaged in human rights abuses against the Uyghurs in Xinjiang while reports from journalists, NGOs and former detainees have surfaced, highlighting the Chinese Communist Party's brutal crackdown on the ethnic community.
    Early this year, the United States become the first country in the world to declare the Chinese actions in Xinjiang as "genocide". In February, both the Canadian and Dutch parliaments adopted motions recognising the Uyghur crisis as genocide. The latter became the first parliament in Europe to do so.
    In April, the United Kingdom also declared China's ongoing crackdown in Xinjiang a "genocide". (ANI)
    https://www.sify.com/news/forced-lab...Tijciddag.html
    China uses Uyghur forced labour to make solar panels, says report

The global production of solar panels is using forced labour from China's Uyghur Muslims in Xinjiang province, an investigation has found.

Xinjiang produces about 45% of the world's supply of the key component, polysilicon, the research by the UK's Sheffield Hallam University says.

It says the material is obtained under a massive system of coercion, a claim denied by the Chinese authorities.

The report urges top panel makers to source the component elsewhere.

Solar panels are in huge demand because of climate change.

Polysilicon is extracted from mined quartz, and the research says the world's four biggest manufacturers use materials tainted by a massive system of coercion.

"The [Chinese] government claims that these programmes are in accordance with PRC [the People's Republic of China] law and that workers are engaged voluntarily, in a concerted government-supported effort to alleviate poverty," the report says.

"However, significant evidence - largely drawn from government and corporate sources - reveals that labour transfers are deployed in the Uyghur Region within an environment of unprecedented coercion, undergirded by the constant threat of re-education and internment."

China is facing mounting criticism from around the world over its treatment of the mostly Muslim Uyghur population in the north-western Xinjiang autonomous region.

Human rights groups believe China has detained more than a million Uyghurs over the past few years in what the state defines as "re-education camps".

There is evidence of Uyghurs being used as forced labour and of women being forcibly sterilised.

The US is among several countries to have accused China of committing genocide and crimes against humanity through its repression of the Uyghurs.

China denies such allegations, saying it has been combatting separatism and Islamist militancy in the region.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57124636

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

But these are "green jobs" right?

Comment

Is this what John Kerry was referring to when he told displaced oil workers to get a job building solar panels?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Is this what John Kerry was referring to when he told displaced oil workers to get a job building solar panels?
          Beats clearing away land mines as Kamala suggested.
          Last edited by rogue06; 05-17-2021, 12:30 PM. Reason: forgot a "la"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm understanding this as referring to PVs, right? I don't think that polysilca is used in the solar vacuum tubes for solar thermal but I know that those systems are manufactured in China.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment