Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Michigan lawmaker proposes Reasonable Restrictions on Fact Checkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Sure there is. Do nothing. Enforce existing libel and slander laws if it comes to that.
    Which are utterly ineffective if they're discussing a prominent person, which will be most of the time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I would suggest that anyone wanting to register as a fact checker should need to undergo a background check to ensure that they are not a danger of spreading misinformation.

It seems like a reasonable restriction.

Comment

Sure there is. Do nothing. Enforce existing libel and slander laws if it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
          I would suggest that anyone wanting to register as a fact checker should need to undergo a background check to ensure that they are not a danger of spreading misinformation.

Except the Internet is global, and so-called "fact checkers" can be posting from anywhere on the planet. A registration in Michigan (or any physical location) isn't going to solve anything.

Comment

Absolutely not. Giving the government power over the right to adjudicate political speech is the first step toward setting up a Ministry of Truth.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

And next maybe the government can issue licenses to individual reporters as well.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                And next maybe the government can issue licenses to individual reporters as well.
                That, and we can ban the use of certain fonts, styles, and other dangerous appearances. Again, a reasonable restriction.

Fact checkers have no need for special fonts.

Comment

That, and we can ban the use of certain fonts, styles, and other dangerous appearances. Again, a reasonable restriction.

Fact checkers have no need for special fonts.
                  Don't tell anyone but word has it that Sparko loathes Comic Sans

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Don't tell anyone but word has it that Sparko loathes Comic Sans
                    Hating comic says is blasé. Its like being against bullying, or against kicking puppies.

Comment

Hating comic says is blasé. Its like being against bullying, or against kicking puppies.
                      I've never seen what the big deal is, except maybe it was over used for awhile.

Comment

yup

Comment

Require fact checkers to be bonded.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment