Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Israel and Hamas exchanging missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel and Hamas exchanging missiles

Anyone watching this? It looks bad.

I am impressed with the Israeli's antimissile technology. They have been showing incoming missiles being blown out of the sky as they come in. Looks like Missile Command. Hamas is sending hundreds of missiles. I think about 1/3 are getting through.

Last edited by Sparko; 05-11-2021, 03:16 PM.

The Iron Dome is no joke. It has saved scores of lives.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      They all mocked Reagan when he started up "Star Wars" - looks like it paid off.

Comment

The Arab world is testing Biden's handlers.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's moving fairly quickly to all-out war.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Arab countries need to go to their rooms and stay till they behave! Why are they acting like Europe was before they stopped fighting each other? Why can't they turn their swords into plowshares?
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              The Arab countries need to go to their rooms and stay till they behave! Why are they acting like Europe was before they stopped fighting each other? Why can't they turn their swords into plowshares?
              Well how would you feel if you were turned out of your home by a group of people who claimed a right to your property and land and premised that right on some ancient religious texts?

Israel has never defined its border and it does not incorporate certain land into its own state thereby according the occupants the same rights as Israeli citizens, it "occupies" certain [primarily Palestinian] areas.

The whole history of the region since 1945 is far from simple and there are no goodies and baddies.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                It helps that most of the rockets (not missiles) being fired use technology from the 50s.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  The conflict goes back thousands of years (you can find the roots of it in the Old Testament), and it's unlikely to end before Jesus returns.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Well how would you feel if you were turned out of your home by a group of people who claimed a right to your property and land and premised that right on some ancient religious texts?

Israel has never defined its border and it does not incorporate certain land into its own state thereby according the occupants the same rights as Israeli citizens, it "occupies" certain [primarily Palestinian] areas.
                    Given that the region was repeatedly described as being nearly desolate prior to the Jews moving back I don't think very many of those there now can claim they were turned out of their homes.

And Israel has only occupied lands after the Arabs have declared war and attacked. There is a lesson to be learned there.

The whole history of the region since 1945 is far from simple and there are no goodies and baddies.
                    One side issues multiple warnings telling the other side exactly where they're going to strike and perhaps even when so as to minimize casualties among innocent civilians

The other side does the exact opposite -- and are even known for surrounding themselves with civilians when they know attack is imminent

While there are a dearth of angels in this war, one side is clearly worse than the other.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The Palestinians were not natives to the area either. The Jews were there before them, as even the architecture of the region proves (for example, the Dome of the Rock is built on the ruins of the Jewish Temple). And Israel has tried and tried to make the region home to everyone who wants to live in peace. The Arabs won't have it.

If this does turn into an all out war, my money is on Israel. Every time the Arabs take it too far, Israel kicks their butts.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The Palestinians were not natives to the area either. The Jews were there before them, as even the architecture of the region proves (for example, the Dome of the Rock is built on the ruins of the Jewish Temple). And Israel has tried and tried to make the region home to everyone who wants to live in peace. The Arabs won't have it.

If this does turn into an all out war, my money is on Israel. Every time the Arabs take it too far, Israel kicks their butts.
                        Given how many of them were making peace with Israel, thanks to Trump in a deal that explicitly left the Palestinians out of it (one of the main whines by the left which seeks to minimize these historic agreements), I'm not sure just how much Arab support the Palestinians will receive. Most of it is likely coming from Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The conflict goes back thousands of years (you can find the roots of it in the Old Testament), and it's unlikely to end before Jesus returns.
                          No it doesn't. Your knowledge of the history of the ancient near east is somewhat tenuous.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Given how many of them were making peace with Israel, thanks to Trump in a deal that explicitly left the Palestinians out of it (one of the main whines by the left which seeks to minimize these historic agreements), I'm not sure just how much Arab support the Palestinians will receive. Most of it is likely coming from Iran.
                            I was pretty much generalizing in my use of "Arabs" to all non Israeli people's in the region.

Comment

Given that the region was repeatedly described as being nearly desolate prior to the Jews moving back I don't think very many of those there now can claim they were turned out of their homes.
                              What period in history are you referencing by that generalisation?

And Israel has only occupied lands after the Arabs have declared war and attacked. There is a lesson to be learned there.
                              And from whence did you obtain that information?

One side issues multiple warnings telling the other side exactly where they're going to strike and perhaps even when so as to minimize casualties among innocent civilians

The other side does the exact opposite -- and are even known for surrounding themselves with civilians when they know attack is imminent

While there are a dearth of angels in this war, one side is clearly worse than the other.
                              I detect a distinct whiff of partisanship.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment