Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Israel and Hamas exchanging missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It doesn't look like Netanyahu will be able to form a government which makes me wonder about the timing of all this.
    I was wondering the same thing, though with no basis I know of, except that Netanyahu is always seen as a great military figure.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I was wondering the same thing, though with no basis I know of, except that Netanyahu is always seen as a great military figure.
      That and folks are adverse at changing leadership during a crisis -- unless the leaders have been shown to be inept.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That and folks are adverse at changing leadership during a crisis -- unless the leaders have been shown to be inept.
        So, I think it's more the timing of -- the Arab world wants to test the Biden administration to see how far they can go, and maybe even win back some of the land they lost to Israel in previous wars.

And, I wonder if there will be a new round of outrage over the US Embassy being moved to Jerusalem.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It doesn't look like Netanyahu will be able to form a government which makes me wonder about the timing of all this.
          Well he didn't start it. And the main guy running against him is fully on board....
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Well he didn't start it. And the main guy running against him is fully on board....
            What a concept. Uniting together is face of adversity.

Someone needs to write that one down.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What a concept. Uniting together is face of adversity.

Someone needs to write that one down.
              Israel seems to grasp that concept -- this is not the first time, and we could learn a lot from them!

Comment

Israel seems to grasp that concept -- this is not the first time, and we could learn a lot from them!
                Seems too radical an idea. Social media would likely censor you for that very reason.

Comment

Seems too radical an idea. Social media would likely censor you for that very reason.
                  So, I just talked to my Jewish friend at a Synagogue near me -- actually 45 miles away, as the one here closed down a few years ago -- just to get her perspective.

She is very concerned about the current situation, as she has heard from her President (I'm assuming the President of their group of Synagogues) that, with no commitment of any kind from the current administration, the enemies of Israel (particularly agitated by Iran) will be poking and prodding and exploiting even more.

I really really have a hard time why Jews tend to vote Democrat so much, when the Democrats, in so many cases, don't give a flyin' flip about them.

Comment

So, I just talked to my Jewish friend at a Synagogue near me -- actually 45 miles away, as the one here closed down a few years ago -- just to get her perspective.

She is very concerned about the current situation, as she has heard from her President (I'm assuming the President of their group of Synagogues) that, with no commitment of any kind from the current administration, the enemies of Israel (particularly agitated by Iran) will be poking and prodding and exploiting even more.

I really really have a hard time why Jews tend to vote Democrat so much, when the Democrats, in so many cases, don't give a flyin' flip about them.
                    Many of them are, as they'll even acknowledge, secular Jews, who aren't all that concerned about Israel and are more interested in generally liberal social issues.

Moreover, I think that because, historically Jews have had more than their share of run-ins with various Christian communities, and that they tend to see Christians associated with conservatives, there is some natural hesitancy.

Ironically, more and more Jews are starting to realize that probably their strongest ally now are Christians -- and especially conservative Christians. That's probably been true for the last few decades.

Comment

Hm..... but he did start it though. He knew exactly how to kick the hornets nest with sending the police in to try to kick people out of homes they've lived in for decades in order for jewish settlers to take over. And then, you know, sending them to throw flashbangs into one of the oldest mosques while it was packed full for ramadan. That's what kicked this off. He knew well what he was doing, and knows that he needs a conflict or war to get a chance at forming a government.

Comment

I think part of it is that a lot of Jews in the US simply don't support the current Israeli regime in place and their actions toward Palestine/Palestinians, and thus more likely to vote Democrat because the Republicans are essentially made up mostly (with a few exceptions) of people who bend over and let Israel have their way with them, and then pay them a few billion dollars for their time, while Democrats at least pay lip service to condemning Israel's apartheid state.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Hm..... but he did start it though. He knew exactly how to kick the hornets nest with sending the police in to try to kick people out of homes they've lived in for decades in order for jewish settlers to take over. And then, you know, sending them to throw flashbangs into one of the oldest mosques while it was packed full for ramadan. That's what kicked this off. He knew well what he was doing, and knows that he needs a conflict or war to get a chance at forming a government.
                          That wasn't their property in the first place. The flash bangs were in RESPONSE to what the Palestinians were already doing, including stoning police. And you don't think Mahmoud Abbas didn't stir this up after he STOPPED elections last month?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                            I think part of it is that a lot of Jews in the US simply don't support the current Israeli regime in place and their actions toward Palestine/Palestinians, and thus more likely to vote Democrat because the Republicans are essentially made up mostly (with a few exceptions) of people who bend over and let Israel have their way with them, and then pay them a few billion dollars for their time, while Democrats at least pay lip service to condemning Israel's apartheid state.
                            It isn't just the "current Israeli regime." I've seen the very same blasé attitude concerning Israel from non-religious Jews since not long after the Yom Kippur War.

Comment

That wasn't their property in the first place.
                              It was, though. They've lived there for decades. It's certainly not any Israeli's property. Indeed, the people there were forced to live there after being previously expelled from other land by Israel's expansion.

The flash bangs were in RESPONSE to what the Palestinians were already doing, including stoning police.
                              No one was stoning police in the mosque. They were there worshiping during Ramadan.

And you don't think Mahmoud Abbas didn't stir this up after he STOPPED elections last month?
                              Who is the one trying to force people out of the homes they've had for 72+ years so Jews can move into them? Don't think it was Mahmoud Abbas. This is on Netanyahu and his policies. Stop simping for Bibi.

Comment

It isn't just the "current Israeli regime." I've seen the very same blasé attitude concerning Israel from non-religious Jews since not long after the Yom Kippur War.
                                Has there really been that significant of a difference in policies from the leadership since then? I don't think so.

Comment