Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Israel and Hamas exchanging missiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The Palestinians were not natives to the area either.
      How far back in history are you going?

The Jews were there before them, as even the architecture of the region proves
      Much of the ancient architecture of the region is Graeco-Roman. Alexander did invade the region as of course did the Romans.

Herod the Great as 's building programmes were influenced (for example, the Dome of the Rock is built on the ruins of the Jewish Temple).
      Greatly embellished - before Titus knocked it about a bit - by Herod the Great a Hellenised ruler.

And Israel has tried and tried to make the region home to everyone who wants to live in peace. The Arabs won't have it.
      Are you contending this is an entirely one-sided dispute?

If this does turn into an all out war, my money is on Israel. Every time the Arabs take it too far, Israel kicks their butts.
      With a lot of help from its friends. However, do you relish an all out Middle Eastern war? Or are you considering it might the precursor to this Armageddon that so many of you believe in?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        What period in history are you referencing by that generalisation?
        From the late 19th cent. onward. You can start with Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain's) accounts if you wish. You'll find that what you seek to dismiss as a "generalisation" is a fairly consistent view.

And from whence did you obtain that information?
        Has anyone told you lately where you can stuff your games?

Gaza. Golan Heights. Sinai Peninsula. West Bank. Etc, etc, etc. They were all seized after the Arabs tried to invade Israel and soundly defeated. Are you denying that?

I detect a distinct whiff of partisanship.
        Funny name for the unvarnished facts you have there.

Only by ignoring such stark differences can anyone hope to claim that they behave the same way.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No it doesn't. Your knowledge of the history of the ancient near east is somewhat tenuous.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            From the late 19th cent. onward. You can start with Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain's) accounts if you wish. You'll find that what you seek to dismiss as a "generalisation" is a fairly consistent view.
            I never knew Clemens was a Middle Eastern historian.

Has anyone told you lately where you can stuff your games?
            Ooh a hissy fit.

Gaza. Golan Heights. Sinai Peninsula. West Bank. Etc, etc, etc. They were all seized after the Arabs tried to invade Israel and soundly defeated. Are you denying that?
            Once again the events that led up to that botched Arab invasion are not simple.

Funny name for the unvarnished facts you have there.
            I suspect you are one of those "Israel Friendly" Americans.

Only by ignoring such stark differences can anyone hope to claim that they behave the same way.
            And this is all the fault of the Palestinians?

"It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I was pretty much generalizing in my use of "Arabs" to all non Israeli people's in the region.
              I don't think that Egypt would join in any war. Nor will the Jordanians (they still hate the Palestinians for trying to start a revolt in their country). Bahrain, UAE, Sudan, Morocco all just signed a treaty with Israel that stuck a thumb in the eye of the Palestinians. And even Saudi Arabia (which has historically bankrolled such things) has been making quiet overtures to Israel being far more afraid of Iran than they ever hated the Jews.

The Palestinians will likely only get direct support from Iran and their surrogates in Syria. And maybe some nominal assistance from Turkey.

I think that any war will be severely limited in scope and participants.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How far back in history are you going?

Much of the ancient architecture of the region is Graeco-Roman. Alexander did invade the region as of course did the Romans.
                Gee, who did they invade? The Israelites/Hebrews.

Greatly embellished - before Titus knocked it about a bit - by Herod the Great a Hellenised ruler.

Are you contending this is an entirely one-sided dispute?

With a lot of help from its friends. However, do you relish an all out Middle Eastern war? Or are you considering it might the precursor to this Armageddon that so many of you believe in?
                Your view of the near middle east history is inaccurate and skewed as you have shown multiple times.

Israel doesn't need any help from it's friends. In fact, they don't have many. Even the US has been a fair weather friend. They can take care of themselves. Armageddon? Who knows. I for one don't want to make it happen. Are you insane? Nobody relishes war.

Comment

What period in history are you referencing by that generalisation?

And from whence did you obtain that information?

I detect a distinct whiff of partisanship.
                  I detect a distinct whiff of ignorance.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Just wanted to point out your dishonest changing of my words above.

What I said was:

The Jews were there before them, as even the architecture of the region proves (for example, the Dome of the Rock is built on the ruins of the Jewish Temple).

Please don't do this again.

Comment

I never knew Clemens was a Middle Eastern historian.
                      Why would be a historian be necessary when he actually went there, traveled all around the area and saw for himself.

Your attempts to hand wave any and everything that contradicts your assumptions are as weak as ever.

Ooh a hissy fit.
                      You just need the occasional reminder that your attempts at game playing are no longer not just appreciated but are no longer being tolerated by anyone.

Once again the events that led up to that botched Arab invasion are not simple.
                      Is our resident armchair faux historian trying to say that wasn't what happened?

And it wasn't just one invasion. You had one in 1948, another in 1967 (Six Day War), and again in 1973 (Yom Kippur War).

And the fact that the Arbs tended to botch things in no way addresses much less counters the fact that Israel only took land as a result of these invasions.

I suspect you are one of those "Israel Friendly" Americans.
                      I tend to support the "good guys" in conflicts. So sue me.

And this is all the fault of the Palestinians?
                      This has to be one of your more bizarre questions that you've asked here.

Comment

What I said was:

The Jews were there before them, as even the architecture of the region proves (for example, the Dome of the Rock is built on the ruins of the Jewish Temple).

Good luck with that.

These sort of antics are S.O.P. for her when it starts dawning on her that she stepped in it yet again.

Comment

What I said was:

It's all good. She merely responded to what you SHOULD have posted.

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The whole history of the region since 1945 is far from simple and there are no goodies and baddies.
                            Israel has offered a two state solution more than once, and the PA and Hamas have rejected it. They do not want any Jews in Palestine. What happened when they turned over Gaza? Hundreds and hundreds of missile attacks.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Israel has offered a two state solution more than once, and the PA and Hamas have rejected it. They do not want any Jews in Palestine. What happened when they turned over Gaza? Hundreds and hundreds of missile attacks.
                              They've repeatedly made it clear that the only solution they'll accept is one that entails Israel being driven into the sea.

Comment

Anyone watching this? It looks bad.
                                Yeah I get the feeling it will keep escalating like it did a few years back. Sounds like it came about over Israel trying to evict a bunch of palestinians from an area they've lived in for decades, leading to police crackdowns, leading to missiles from both sides.

I am impressed with the Israeli's antimissile technology. They have been showing incoming missiles being blown out of the sky as they come in. Looks like Missile Command. Hamas is sending hundreds of missiles. I think about 1/3 are getting through.

our tax dollars at work.......

Comment