Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The GOP and the man-god Trump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Till the next time then
    Indeed. That nagging feeling in the back of your mind that you're wrong about this isn't likely to simply go away. You can either confront it, or suppress it. I don't recommend the latter.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• WaPo nails it again:
      Fidelity to Trump has transformed the GOP into a delusional, anti-democratic party that relies on a constant drumbeat of disinformation and the intimation that violence is an acceptable political tool. That profile might be appealing to Trump, who continues to make money off his dull-witted followers and bask in the attention, but it is neither a formula for winning swing seats nor, necessarily, for turning out the base. It would be delicious karma if Trump once more submarined the party that has turned itself inside out to remain in his good graces.

For Democrats, the task is to accurately portray Republicans as out of touch with reality and dangerously loyal to Trump. Whether it is formerly cogent pols such as Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) or newly minted sycophants such as House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), a party so dominated by a crazed cult leader cannot be trusted to hold power — at any level of government.
      Come on the Dems.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• America being not good enough again:
        A former chief test pilot for Boeing has been charged with fraud for allegedly deceiving federal authorities about a part of the flight controls on 737 Max airplanes, a model that led to horrific crashes in 2018 and 2019 that killed hundreds of people.

The Justice Department announced the indictment Thursday of Mark A. Forkner, 49, charging that he withheld vital safety information and “affirmatively deceived” the Federal Aviation Administration during the agency’s certification of the 737 Max.
        Come on Yanks, get a grip.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Hey, I’ll be a lot less concerned when Trump ends up on a hospital bed. I’ll be rooting for the infection.

Comment

• Andy gets his pension back. Huzzah!

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, who had been fired hours before his retirement as then-President Donald Trump's political furor toward him grew, has settled a lawsuit with the Justice Department, allowing him to officially retire and to recoup hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees and his pension.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              WaPo nails it again:

Come on the Dems.
              WaPo?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Andy gets his pension back. Huzzah!
                Reminiscent of how the Obama Administration Justice Department dismissed charges of voter intimidation against the New Black Panthers in Philadelphia after they stood in front of the doors to a polling place holding clubs. Even a former Civil Rights lawyer who was a poll watcher at the site called it the most severe instance of voter intimidation he had ever seen and there were videos of folks walking up to vote, stopping, as the club-wielding NBP members glared at them, and turning around and leaving. It was an open and shut case that wasn't even being contested. But Obama wasn't interested in pursuing such cases.

So now old Joe's minions have paid off one of their operatives with tax dollars for a job well done. I'm not sure if there is any truth to the rumor that McCabe will be getting a Hunter Biden finger painting as an added bonus.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It's interesting. Here's a "spout off" to the Cape May County Herald, attributed only to "Wildwood"

Source: https://spoutoff.capemaycountyherald.com/spout-off/wildwood/fidelity-trump-has-transformed-gop-delusional-ant

Wildwood - Fidelity to Trump has transformed the GOP into a delusional, anti-democratic party that relies on a constant drumbeat of disinformation and the intimation that violence is an acceptable political tool. That profile might be appealing to Trump, who continues to make money off his followers and bask in the attention, but it is neither a formula for winning swing seats nor, necessarily, for turning out the base. For Democrats, the task is to accurately portray Republicans as out of touch with reality and dangerously loyal to Trump.

© Copyright Original Source

Here is a paragraph from WAPO opinion columnist Jennifer Rubin:
                  Source: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Rda5AqdNMgMJ:[url

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/10/14/republicans-have-some-big-problems-their-own/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us]Fidelity[/url] to Trump has transformed the GOP into a delusional, anti-democratic party that relies on a constant drumbeat of disinformation and the intimation that violence is an acceptable political tool. That profile might be appealing to Trump, who continues to make money off his dull-witted followers and bask in the attention, but it is neither a formula for winning swing seats nor, necessarily, for turning out the base. It would be delicious karma if Trump once more submarined the party that has turned itself inside out to remain in his good graces.

It's interesting how very nearly identical those two paragraphs are.

Comment

• Is it true that new style MAGA hats will be spelled MAGAA?

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It's interesting. Here's a "spout off" to the Cape May County Herald, attributed only to "Wildwood"

Source: https://spoutoff.capemaycountyherald.com/spout-off/wildwood/fidelity-trump-has-transformed-gop-delusional-ant

Wildwood - Fidelity to Trump has transformed the GOP into a delusional, anti-democratic party that relies on a constant drumbeat of disinformation and the intimation that violence is an acceptable political tool. That profile might be appealing to Trump, who continues to make money off his followers and bask in the attention, but it is neither a formula for winning swing seats nor, necessarily, for turning out the base. For Democrats, the task is to accurately portray Republicans as out of touch with reality and dangerously loyal to Trump.

Here is a paragraph from WAPO opinion columnist Jennifer Rubin:
                      Source: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Rda5AqdNMgMJ:[url

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/10/14/republicans-have-some-big-problems-their-own/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us]Fidelity[/url] to Trump has transformed the GOP into a delusional, anti-democratic party that relies on a constant drumbeat of disinformation and the intimation that violence is an acceptable political tool. That profile might be appealing to Trump, who continues to make money off his dull-witted followers and bask in the attention, but it is neither a formula for winning swing seats nor, necessarily, for turning out the base. It would be delicious karma if Trump once more submarined the party that has turned itself inside out to remain in his good graces.

It's interesting how very nearly identical those two paragraphs are.
                      WaPo is 10/14, spout off is 10/20 - 5 days from now???? I guess that means that is when they'll put the text into the print version of their publication?

So who are you thinking plagiarized who? You think Rubin stole from the Cape May County Herald, or the other way round?

The WaPo quote is part of a much larger opinion article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ems-their-own/

A good one, BTW.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-15-2021, 08:33 AM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

WaPo is 10/14, spout off is 10/20 - 5 days from now???? I guess that means that is when they'll put the text into the print version of their publication?

So who are you thinking plagiarized who? You think Rubin stole from the Cape May County Herald, or the other way round?

I don't have an answer. You did forget the third option which would be that both were working off of prepared talking points. This isn't uncommon, there's ton's of videos out there of newscasters all speaking from the same script.

Comment

Is it true that new style MAGA hats will be spelled MAGAA?
                          Just as true that LGBTQ now stands for Let's Get Biden To Quit.

Comment

I don't have an answer. You did forget the third option which would be that both were working off of prepared talking points. This isn't uncommon, there's ton's of videos out there of newscasters all speaking from the same script.
                            The late, great Rush Limbaugh used to regularly feature montages of talking heads from multiple "news" organizations all using identical words and phrases when describing current events.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yup. Recently posted an infographic showing how a wide variety of news outlets just happened to all use the same descriptors to describe a Trump speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The late, great Rush Limbaugh used to regularly feature montages of talking heads from multiple "news" organizations all using identical words and phrases when describing current events.
                                It is undebatable that they tend to get together to coordinate things which is likely when these talking points that often get repeated verbatim originate from.

Several years ago, they made the mistake of doing it where everyone could see how they colluded, but since then they got smart and do it in restricted chatrooms and the like

Originally posted by rogue06

[...]

Then there was the JournoList (a private Google Groups message board for discussing politics and the news media established by Ezra Klein who limited participation to several hundred left-leaning bloggers, political reporters, magazine writers, policy wonks and academics saying he excluded conservatives to keep conversations from degenerating into flame wars) incident in 2010 when it was revealed they they were discussing ways of explaining away or outright ignoring stories that were detrimental to Obama. One of their primary goals appears to be to kill stories about Jeremiah Wright, Obama's radical, racist pastor for 20 years and who Obama praised in his memoirs and early campaign speeches

Obama also credited Wright with introducing him to his Christian faith

The contributors were obsessed with finding ways of killing the Wright story, as it was reflecting negatively on Barack Obama. Chris Hayes, a top editor for The Nation and host of a daily program on MSNBC, encouraged his colleagues to avoid covering Wright because talking about it at all would hurt Obama. Spencer Ackerman, one time associate editor at the New Republic and then part of the American Independent Institute (which funds liberal investigative journalism efforts which, as they say, exposes "the nexus of conservative power in Washington") went further making the following suggestion:

"If the right forces us all to either defend Wright or tear him down, no matter what we choose, we lose the game they've put upon us. Instead, take one of them -- Fred Barnes, Karl Rove, who cares -- and call them racists"

And right after John McCain nominated Sarah Palin to be his running mate members of JurnoList had only one concern -- how to take her down. The tone was more campaign headquarters than newsroom.

"Okay, let's get deadly serious, folks," Ed Kilgore of the Washington Monthly wrote. "Sarah Palins just been introduced to the country as a brave, above-party, oil-company-bashing, pork-hating maverick "outsider." What we can do is to expose her ideology."

Daniel Levy of the Century Foundation noted that Obama's "non-official campaign" would need to work hard to discredit Palin.

"This seems to me like an occasion when the non-official campaign has a big role to play in defining Palin, shaping the terms of the conversation and saying things that the official [Obama] campaign shouldn't say -- very hard-hitting stuff, including some of the things that people have been noting here -- scare people about having this woefully inexperienced, no foreign policy/national security/right-wing christia wing-nut a heartbeat away ... bang away at McCain's age making this unusually significant ... I think people should be replicating some of the not-so-pleasant viral email campaigns that were used against [Obama]."

Suzanne Nossel, the executive director of PEN American Center, which ironically purports to defend free expression by writers and others (as long as they are conservative I guess) made the following suggestion: "I think it is and can be spun as a profoundly sexist pick. Women should feel umbrage at the idea that their votes can be attracted just by putting a woman, any woman, on the ticket no matter her qualifications or views."[5]

Jonathan Stein then with Mother Jones was giddy about this approach writing: "That's excellent! If enough people -- people on this list? -- write that the pick is sexist, you'll have the networks debating it for days. And that negates the SINGLE thing Palin brings to the ticket."

Nick Baumann, then senior editor with Mother Jones and now senior enterprise editor at Huffington Post added: "Say it with me: 'Classic GOP Tokenism'."

Chris Hayes, a writer for The Nation, wrote: "Keep the ideas coming! Have to go on TV to talk about this in a few min and need all the help I can get."

I think it is pretty clear that these journalists and their friends were acting as an unofficial wing of the Obama campaign...

Comment