Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The GOP and the man-god Trump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Look, this isn't even an issue that takes time and study to reason out. Scripture couldn't be any clearer on this point. You say that science has proven that there is no person without a brain, but it really hasn't, because science simply and somewhat arbitrarily equates brain activity with personhood. Is there some essence of a person's being that exists prior to formation of the brain and which is currently undetectable to us? I would say, based on what the Bible says, that the answer is yes.

This is a good example of the dangers of allowing science to dictate your understanding of scripture, because science is necessarily limited by only what can be directly observed, and you as Christian should know that there is a lot more to the universe then only what we can see and hear.
    You are not understanding the parameters i'm framing my arguments within. This discussion began with a discussion about what science can show about when personhood begins. Rogue argues that the continuity of the development process allows for no distinction between any stage of development in terms of this being a person. I'm arguing that scientifically what aspects of personhood it can measure can be shown quite conclusively to reside in the brain. So without a living brain, scientifically, there is no person - just a body.

Your arguments are outside what science can show. That there is some sort of supernatural (and thus immeasurable by scientific means) spirit that is distinct from the brain. And while that is what we both believe, it is not part of a debate over what science can show.

Beyond that, we have different understandings of the implications of the verses you quote as to what they imply about when a developing child becomes a living soul. And that is a theological debate that has spanned millenia. But there is nothing that says science can't help inform us on that quest to understand that which simply is not clearly defined in scripture.

It is my belief and has been from the first day I read the verses in exodus from a less politically derived NASV translation of them that there is a distinction between the unborn and the born, the unformed and the fully formed fetus Where God clearly and unequivocally recognizes that the accidental killing of an unborn, not fully formed child is not the equivalent of the accidental killing of a fully formed child or adult.

And I believe science supports that Biblical distinction.

OtOH, I firmly and unequivocally believe this distinction does not justify abortion on demand as birth control ( or 'family planning')- but it should temper our argumentation on the subject.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

One of the silly things about formal logic is that a "true" conclusion can result from absurd premises.
      Do you mean that the conclusion of a deductive argument, contains no greater information than its premises? If so, what’s silly about that? An example of what you mean would be helpful.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Which is to say that an argument can be valid without being sound.

Or as the Doctor once said, "Logic, my dear Zoe, merely allows one to be wrong with authority."
        I have.... hmm... had?... haven't seen it lately... this:

87ab7d04-8cfb-4e44-bf1c-f8c32dd8b400_1.7a16a0567b269a8c7450b30553133677.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF.jpg
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Yup, spooky thinking leads to bad law, which leads to unintended consequences.
          Millions of Texas women and the people who support them, including health care providers and faith leaders, are living in fear and danger after the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that allowed Texas’ S.B. 8 to go into effect this week. S.B. 8 turns neighbor against neighbor by allowing any individual to sue anyone else whom they believe provided or assisted a patient with an abortion, and collect $10,000 for each successful claim. Under this law, my friend’s enraged partner, who tried to physically block us from leaving her home, could have bankrupted me.

When we reward anger and punish accompaniment, we ignore God’s condemnation of those who sow discord (Proverbs 6:19) and disregard the Gospel’s call to love our neighbor. While anti-abortion lawmakers often cloak their positions in Christian faith, S.B. 8 is theologically unsound.
          Rev. Jennifer Butler
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Yup, spooky thinking leads to bad law, which leads to unintended consequences.

Rev. Jennifer Butler
            That isn't unintended. The angry boyfriend suing her into bankruptcy is actually an intended consequence. Thats why they allow you to sue anyone who assists.

Comment

For all practical purposes, she does own the swallowed ring, at least temporarily.
              At absolutely no time does she "own" it. She is unlawfully possessing it. Yuuuge difference.

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              The foetus is totally connected, contiguous and dependant, there by the woman’s grace and beneficence. Nobody has a greater claim on the foetus than the expectant mother.
              You make it sound like the baby asked to be sheltered and out of the kindness of her heart the expecting mother agreed to take him or her in. No. The woman engaged in a behavior that anyone with at least two working brain cells (don't take that personally) understands can very well result in producing a baby.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

not so fast ….
                Not so fast. The scenario specifically stated that she stole the ring. Therefore there is no question that she does not have a claim of ownership.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Would you really want a poor, undernourished, unloved, unwanted child to grow up in a country ruled by religious laws?
                  Are you getting ready to justify killing children in some Third World Country wholesale? Because that's what it sounds like.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

You are not understanding the parameters i'm framing my arguments within. This discussion began with a discussion about what science can show about when personhood begins. Rogue argues that the continuity of the development process allows for no distinction between any stage of development in terms of this being a person. I'm arguing that scientifically what aspects of personhood it can measure can be shown quite conclusively to reside in the brain. So without a living brain, scientifically, there is no person - just a body.

Your arguments are outside what science can show. That there is some sort of supernatural (and thus immeasurable by scientific means) spirit that is distinct from the brain. And while that is what we both believe, it is not part of a debate over what science can show.

Beyond that, we have different understandings of the implications of the verses you quote as to what they imply about when a developing child becomes a living soul. And that is a theological debate that has spanned millenia. But there is nothing that says science can't help inform us on that quest to understand that which simply is not clearly defined in scripture.

It is my belief and has been from the first day I read the verses in exodus from a less politically derived NASV translation of them that there is a distinction between the unborn and the born, the unformed and the fully formed fetus Where God clearly and unequivocally recognizes that the accidental killing of an unborn, not fully formed child is not the equivalent of the accidental killing of a fully formed child or adult.

And I believe science supports that Biblical distinction.

OtOH, I firmly and unequivocally believe this distinction does not justify abortion on demand as birth control ( or 'family planning')- but it should temper our argumentation on the subject.
                    When scripture and science conflict, always go with scripture. God tells us that he knew us before we were conceived. As far as I'm concerned, that settles the debate regardless of your belief that science disproves the Bible on this point.

Also, if your reading of the passage in Exodus is correct, then you have no grounds whatsoever to object to abortion on demand as birth control. The fact that such a conclusion clearly galls you should be a hint that you're probably not reading the passage correctly.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Not so fast. The scenario specifically stated that she stole the ring. Therefore there is no question that she does not have a claim of ownership.
                      Stop thief! … she stole my ring!
                      Gulp …. Burp
                      What ring?
                      Er ah!

In the USA, this situation would immediately be followed by a gunfight, the ring would turn up at the autopsy and be returned to the deceased’s next of kin - not the real owner who also got blasted to death.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        At absolutely no time does she "own" it. She is unlawfully possessing it. Yuuuge difference.

You make it sound like the baby asked to be sheltered and out of the kindness of her heart the expecting mother agreed to take him or her in. No. The woman engaged in a behavior that anyone with at least two working brain cells (don't take that personally) understands can very well result in producing a baby.
                        I’m not talking babies at all - air breathing primates are they. Uninvited womb guests - a parasite perhaps, an unexploded bomb - is the issue - not that you are at all able to handle that idea - because you lack empathy and sympathy for someone in that position - so you blame them instead.

Comment

I’m not talking babies at all - air breathing primates are they. Uninvited womb guests - a parasite perhaps, an unexploded bomb - is the issue - not that you are at all able to handle that idea - because you lack empathy and sympathy for someone in that position - so you blame them instead.
                          Perhaps you should talk ask mommy how these "uninvited guests" end up in the womb.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Perhaps you should talk ask mommy how these "uninvited guests" end up in the womb.
                            It makes no difference how. There is no point in crying over spilt milk. Clear headed practical decisions are wanted, not blame or shame - an unhelpful religious speciality in these cases.

Comment

When scripture and science conflict, always go with scripture.
                              If our pride and arrogance did not cause us to confuse our understanding of scipture with what the scripture actually teaches, that would be a valid way to go. But the reality is, the scriptures are written in a specific cultural context and we have, historically, gotten the intended meaning wrong. From the Jewish Pharasees that rejected Christ and did not recognize the scriptures that spoke of a suffering servant to the arguments the RCC used against Galileo to our present day confusion WRT the validity of dismissing science against a literal reading of Genesis - we have gotten it wrong.

So the very first thing to do when solid science conflicts with what we think scripture is saying is to look at the weakest link in the chain - human error and understanding. Which applies BOTH to human efforts at science AND human efforts at understanding scripture.

God tells us that he knew us before we were conceived. As far as I'm concerned, that settles the debate regardless of your belief that science disproves the Bible on this point.
                              And here we are dealing with an actual failure on your part to understand what is being said by scripture - ironically enough. If God knows us BEFORE we were conceived, then it cant possibly be defining when we came to be. The scripture is telling us God is outside time and knows who we are from the beginning of time. He knows if we will survive gestation. He knows how we will grow up and who we will become. He knows when and how we will die. It is also telling us that this infinite God that defines the entire universe cares just as infinitely about who and what we are. But it says nothing about when from the standpoint of our finite and temporal existence we came to be.

Also, if your reading of the passage in Exodus is correct, then you have no grounds whatsoever to object to abortion on demand as birth control. The fact that such a conclusion clearly galls you should be a hint that you're probably not reading the passage correctly.
                              And I believe you are mistaken here again, because the simple reality is that the Early Church Fathers recognized that passage as saying exactly what AFAIK all pre Abortion debate translations said, and they still argued vociferously against abortion with valid and justifiable cause. That passage does NOT say the unborn child is trash to be tossed at the whim of the mother. It simply says the accidental killing of the unborn child does not rise to murder and thus does not deserve life for a life. The argument against abortion goes to the value of the potential of that child to be, and the utter depravity of destroying it for purely material of hedonistic pleasure or convenience. It does not hinge on whether or not aborting the child is murder.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-13-2021, 09:01 AM.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

If our pride and arrogance did not cause us to confuse our understanding of scipture with what the scripture actually says, that would be a valid way to go. But the reality is, the scriptures are written in a specific cultural context and we have, historically, gotten the intended meaning wrong. From the Jewish Pharasees that rejected Christ and did not recognize the scriptures that spoke of a suffering servant to the arguments the RCC used against Galileo to our present day confusion WRT the validity of dismissing science against a literal reading of Genesis we have gotten it wrong.

So the very first thing to do when solid science conflicts with what we think scripture is saying is to look at the weakest link in the chain - human error and understanding. Which applies BOTH to human efforts at science AND human efforts at understanding scripture.

And here we are dealing failure on your part to understand what is being said. If God knows us BEFORE we were conceived, then it cant possibly be defining when we came to be. The scripture is telling us God is outside time and knows who we are from the beginning of time. He knows if we will survive gestation. He knows how we will grow up and who we will become. He knows when and how we will die. It says nothing about when from the standpoint of our finite and temporal existence we came to be.

And I believe you are mistaken here again, because the simple reality is that the Early Church Fathers recognized that passage as saying exactly what AFAIK all pre Abortion debate translations said, and they still argued vociferously against abortion with valid and justifiable cause. That passage does NOT say the unborn child is trash to be tossed at the whim of the mother. It simply says the accidental killing of the unborn child does no rise to murder and thus does not deserve life for a life. The argument against abortion goes to the value of the potential of that child to be, and the utter depravity of destroying it for purely material of hedonistic pleasure or convenience.
                                You can object to the necessary implications of your position all you want, but they nevertheless remain necessary implications. If your understanding of science and scripture are correct, then you simply have no grounds to object to abortion on demand. The fact that this appears to grate against your conscience (and frankly, I'm glad it does) is your problem, not mine. I've shown you the way out of your moral dilemma. You have only to open your eyes and follow the path.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment