Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The GOP and the man-god Trump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

In some cases, yes.
    What incentive do Trump-appointed judges have to stop him from getting re-elected?

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

That'll be different from the last republican wins, how?
      It'll be justified, regardless of the evidence, or lack thereof.

Comment

First Did liberals introduce anti-semitism laws like they did for anti-asian attacks?

For something else, here's a comparison. Two Searches, first page shown for each. Notice how quickly Anti-semitism loses focus compared to Anti-asian.
        Google search. Huffington Post Anti-Semitism Time Limited: May 8, 2021 - Today
        Google search. Huffington Post Anti-Asian Time Limited: May 8, 2021 - Today

Huffpo Anti-Asian.PNGHuffpo Anti-Semitism.PNG
        Do you have evidence anti Semitic attacks were occurring in equal numbers to anti Asian attacks or that there should have been and equal longevity to the focus?

If they were not, the short lived nature of the reporting could be due to their transient nature wrt Asian attacks.

At this point I'm looking for what is motivating your concern not challenging your position or your conclusion.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Good to know for the next time a Republican wins.
          It applies in either case, when there are irregularities.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Do you have evidence anti Semitic attacks were occurring in equal numbers to anti Asian attacks or that there should have been and equal longevity to the focus?

If they were not, the short lived nature of the reporting could be due to their transient nature wrt Asian attacks.

At this point I'm looking for what is motivating your concern not challenging your position or your conclusion.
            I'm trying to point out something fundamental. There's a reason that during the latest Israel/palestinian conflict, that there wasn't a lot of liberal focus on the anti Semitic attacks.

Going back to the BLM riots. There was a reason over the summer that the riots were largely ignored or downplayed.

There was a reason for the sudden change of heart for many #metoo advocates when Biden was accused.

All of those have a similar reluctance to shining the spotlight of public attention on the bad things.

When you figure out why, let me know.

Comment

It'll be justified, regardless of the evidence, or lack thereof.
              They thought so too in 2004:
              Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_United_States_election_voting_controversies

Objection to certification of Ohio's electoral votes[edit]

On January 6, 2005, Senator Barbara Boxer of California joined Representative Stephanie Tubbs Jones of Ohio in filing a congressional objection to the certification of Ohio's Electoral College votes due to alleged irregularities including disqualification of provisional ballots, alleged misallocation of voting machines, and disproportionally long waits in poor and predominantly African-American communities.[69][70] The Senate voted the objection down 1–74; the House voted the objection down 31–267.[69] It was only the second congressional objection to an entire state's electoral delegation in U.S. history; the first instance was in 1877, when all the electors from Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina, and one from Oregon—twenty in all—were challenged.[69][71] (An objection to one faithless elector was filed in 1969.)[69]

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

I'm trying to point out something fundamental. There's a reason that during the latest Israel/palestinian conflict, that there wasn't a lot of liberal focus on the anti Semitic attacks.

Going back to the BLM riots. There was a reason over the summer that the riots were largely ignored or downplayed.

There was a reason for the sudden change of heart for many #metoo advocates when Biden was accused.

All of those have a similar reluctance to shining the spotlight of public attention on the bad things.

When you figure out why, let me know.
                First, you need to realize, if you don't already, that what you think you see could be either an exaggeration of reality or a complete mischaracterization of reality caused by your own bias. Our bias shifts our perspective of where balance should be.

To be sure, I'm not saying that there is no bias in a given media source or sources, but it may be less than your own bias causes you to perceive.

The Israel/Palestinian conflict is perhaps where this might be easiest to illustrate. That conflict is very much full of hatred and injustice on both sides. The gross genocide of the holocaust drove the thrust to re-establish Israel to reality, yet its implementation resulted in what could only be seen by the Palestinians that had lived there for over a thousand years as also horribly unjust and brutal.

And it has only gotten worse. So with all the injustice floating about, tit for tat actions on both sides resulting in death and destruction. And where a person starts their observation of that blood feud can tend to define where one sees a victim and where on sees an aggressor.

But if one is of a mind Israel is the victim, one will likely tend to see any focus on the plight of the Palestinians as unfairly ignoring their unprovoked aggressions, suicide bombers and the like. Conversely, if one sees the Palestinians as victims then focus on the plight of the jews in history or in anti-semitic attacks abroad will be seen as unfairly ignoring their own aggressions against innocent Palestinians caught up in the terrorist aggressions of their own leaders

Historically, I personally tend towards justifying Israel and the Jewish people. I can find no justification for terrorism ever, especially as associated with Arafat and the surrounding Arab nation's response to the existence of Israel. And yet, I can see that Israel is not guiltless here. And I did not notice any horrific imbalance in the recognition of anti Semitic violence here as the conflict in Israel has evolved - though I do tend to see a bit of glossing over the bad side, as we saw this summer with the protests.

I think the difference is not that I don't see it, it is more in how we see the conservative response to it. I see the conservative responses to these same events as completely unhinged, driven by ideologies that so distort their views of what is going on that I can partially understand the reluctance to be completely balanced that I see in MSM.

we can see examples of why here in this debate forum. What happens when a person here admits to some failing, or admits the person they are debating has some element of truth in their position? The more aggressive person uses it to try to say the more honest person is completely and totally wrong.

we can see that in the character of the conservative reaction to the BLM protests. There is no acknowledgement on the conservative side of what drives them - the built in systemic racism that still exists. There is little if any acknowledgement of the simple fact most of them and most people participating are peaceful. No, that conservative response is to focus solely on the fact that violence and property destruction has also been part of some of the protests. And they use that fact to both drive their adherents to turn off the more balanced reporting ( though still not without bias) of the MSM and to justify continued racism, diminishing the injustices that drove them in the first place in a massively biased fashion taking advantage of the information vacuum they have created.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  The authoritarians first undermine the public’s faith in elections, and then they take them away; or at least take control of them. And the public say in response that this is better than a corrupt election. God save Trump.
                  Congratulations. You have just accurately described what the Democrats did over the last four years.

First they spent four years trying to undermine the public's faith in elections by fabricating a Russian collusion hoax, and then they took control of the election to insure that the voters voted for the right people.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_United_States_election_voting_controversies

On January 6, 2005, Senator Barbara Boxer of California joined Representative Stephanie Tubbs Jones of Ohio in filing a congressional objection to the certification of Ohio's Electoral College votes due to alleged irregularities including disqualification of provisional ballots, alleged misallocation of voting machines, and disproportionally long waits in poor and predominantly African-American communities.[69][70] The Senate voted the objection down 1–74; the House voted the objection down 31–267.[69] It was only the second congressional objection to an entire state's electoral delegation in U.S. history; the first instance was in 1877, when all the electors from Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina, and one from Oregon—twenty in all—were challenged.[69][71] (An objection to one faithless elector was filed in 1969.)[69]

IIRC, the last time the Democrats weren't claiming that the election was stolen was Reagan's landslide victory in 1984, where he got 525 of the 538 electoral votes and the only state Mondale won was his home state and that was by a razor-thin margin. I'm sure that they believed that one was stolen as well but realized it would be pretty foolish to claim so. This is the party, after all, where members after a similar landslide 16 years earlier could express shock because nobody they know voted for him. For them the only conceivable way they could ever lose is by the other side cheating.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

First, you need to realize, if you don't already, that what you think you see could be either an exaggeration of reality or a complete mischaracterization of reality caused by your own bias. Our bias shifts our perspective of where balance should be.

To be sure, I'm not saying that there is no bias in a given media source or sources, but it may be less than your own bias causes you to perceive.

The Israel/Palestinian conflict is perhaps where this might be easiest to illustrate. That conflict is very much full of hatred and injustice on both sides. The gross genocide of the holocaust drove the thrust to re-establish Israel to reality, yet its implementation resulted in what could only be seen by the Palestinians that had lived there for over a thousand years as also horribly unjust and brutal.

And it has only gotten worse. So with all the injustice floating about, tit for tat actions on both sides resulting in death and destruction. And where a person starts their observation of that blood feud can tend to define where one sees a victim and where on sees an aggressor.

But if one is of a mind Israel is the victim, one will likely tend to see any focus on the plight of the Palestinians as unfairly ignoring their unprovoked aggressions, suicide bombers and the like. Conversely, if one sees the Palestinians as victims then focus on the plight of the jews in history or in anti-semitic attacks abroad will be seen as unfairly ignoring their own aggressions against innocent Palestinians caught up in the terrorist aggressions of their own leaders

Historically, I personally tend towards justifying Israel and the Jewish people. I can find no justification for terrorism ever, especially as associated with Arafat and the surrounding Arab nation's response to the existence of Israel. And yet, I can see that Israel is not guiltless here. And I did not notice any horrific imbalance in the recognition of anti Semitic violence here as the conflict in Israel has evolved - though I do tend to see a bit of glossing over the bad side, as we saw this summer with the protests.

I think the difference is not that I don't see it, it is more in how we see the conservative response to it. I see the conservative responses to these same events as completely unhinged, driven by ideologies that so distort their views of what is going on that I can partially understand the reluctance to be completely balanced that I see in MSM.

we can see examples of why here in this debate forum. What happens when a person here admits to some failing, or admits the person they are debating has some element of truth in their position? The more aggressive person uses it to try to say the more honest person is completely and totally wrong.

we can see that in the character of the conservative reaction to the BLM protests. There is no acknowledgement on the conservative side of what drives them - the built in systemic racism that still exists. There is little if any acknowledgement of the simple fact most of them and most people participating are peaceful. No, that conservative response is to focus solely on the fact that violence and property destruction has also been part of some of the protests. And they use that fact to both drive their adherents to turn off the more balanced reporting ( though still not without bias) of the MSM and to justify continued racism, diminishing the injustices that drove them in the first place in a massively biased fashion taking advantage of the information vacuum they have created.

You asked why republicans are loathe to shine a larger or continued spotlight on Jan 6th.

I responded that when you realize why liberals and democrats are loathe to shine a large/continued spotlight on a variety of things you'd be able to understand. Your response so far has not been to try and understand why liberals are loathe to do that, and instead to try and argue away so as to avoid actually answering the questions.

Go back. Why were liberals so loath to examine with the same level of detail anti-Semitic attacks by pro-Palestinian protesters/people in the united states? Anti-Asian attacks were examined. Fingers pointed to people/trump saying China Flu, kung flu, etc. Trump was blamed, the pandemic was blamed. When it came to these attacks, the basic facts were reported, people said don't do that. But there was no examination about rhetoric, no wondering if a politician's words could have inspired/etc. Why? Why were people so loathe to examine in detail pro-palestinian people in the united states making blatant anti-semitic attacks? Why do people who covered anti-asian attacks with such gusto, continually finding themselves suddenly looking elsewhere?

There are numerous examples. A republican or a conservative does something bad, and it is called from the mountain tops, analyzed, examined, theorized, etc by liberals. When something similar happens, those voices go quiet, and they don't want to examine it in detail. Go back to this fundamental question. Why do liberals loathe to examine and shine the public spotlight on, in detail, bad things about liberal actors/organizations/allies?

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

What incentive do Trump-appointed judges have to stop him from getting re-elected?
                        These question seems to be based on the false premises that 1) Conservatives worship President Trump the way liberals worship Obama; and 2) that every judge appointed by President Trump is necessarily a Trump-supporting conservative.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          These question seems to be based on the false premises that 1) Conservatives worship President Trump the way liberals worship Obama; and 2) that every judge appointed by President Trump is necessarily a Trump-supporting conservative.
                          Given that the left took great glee in spotlighting every time that a Trump-appointed judge decided against him in an election related suit, will they be able to even convince themselves that those judges would simply permit it.

Comment

Are you suggesting that the 2004 objections weren't justified?

Comment

Are you suggesting that the 2004 objections weren't justified?
                              Everyone thinks THIER objections are justified

Comment

Everyone thinks THIER objections are justified
                                I find it hard to believe that anyone smart enough to find his way to the internet, and paying attention, thinks that the objections to the 2020 election are justified.

Comment