Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The UK Must Be Racist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    You said: "False. You can still collect benefit and pension payments at post offices by showing a pension book or similar (though this is being phased out soon)"

And I showed you that you do need an ID to get public assistance.
    Benefit is public assistance.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Which is why I was telling Roy that even poor people need IDs in order to get government assistance.
      And I'm telling you that you're wrong. I know you're wrong, because I live here, and I and others I know have received government assistance (and rented lodgings, and opened bank accounts) without having to show a photo ID.

You literally do not know what you're talking about.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Which reminds me. When are you going to return that weedwhacker you borrowed?
        As Boris proves, cutting hair wasn't my calling!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          As Boris proves, cutting hair wasn't my calling!
          Downing nine rum and cokes before you started might have had something to do with it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            If you think that, you didn't read more than the first screenful.

You didn't scroll down and check the full list of documents they will accept, so don't know that you're only posting a subset. The "probably" you quoted is a certain giveaway that there are other possibilities.
            Come on Roy. Their point is that they need to verify WHO YOU ARE before giving you a bank account. Which requires some form of ID. Your trying to nitpick everything by trying to isolate words out of context is dishonest, to say the least. You can't ever admit you are wrong. I have no respect for you at this point. Why would a bank give someone a checking account without verifying who they are? They could be setting up the account in someone else's name in order to commit fraud.

Source: https://www.finder.com/uk/how-to-open-a-bank-account-without-id-in-the-uk

Can I open a bank account in the UK without ID?
            As you can probably imagine, the short answer to this is no.
            Banks need to verify your identity before letting you open a bank account. That’s anti-fraud policy 101 and it protects you too; you wouldn’t want a random person to be able to open a bank account in your name.

© Copyright Original Source

You need an ID to function normally in UK society, just like any other modern society.
            Last edited by Sparko; 05-12-2021, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Because it was a taboo subject at the time, the lessons of the Tulsa race riots of 1921 were never learned. Tim Madigan has written a new book titled The Burning.

We have to learn from history, or we are doomed to repeat it.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                Because it was a taboo subject at the time, the lessons of the Tulsa race riots of 1921 were never learned. Tim Madigan has written a new book titled The Burning.

We have to learn from history, or we are doomed to repeat it.
                Did you post this in the wrong thread or are you just trying to do your usual trolling?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Downing nine rum and cokes before you started might have had something to do with it.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

LOL! Thanks for leading the way Brits....

Trump hails UK voter ID proposal as model for United States

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-united-states

Comment

Come on Roy. Their point is that they need to verify WHO YOU ARE before giving you a bank account.
                      True.
                      Which requires some form of ID.
                      Also true. But - that ID does not need to be a photo-ID, nor does it need to be government issued. As noted earlier, a letter of recommendation from a school can suffice. Your own source states that a "benefit entitlement letter" or a "tax notification" will suffice.

You are expanding the term ID to include anything banks allow in order to show that banks require an ID, when you should be admitting that banks do not insist on the kind of photo-ID that this new law would require for voting - which was my point.

As you said earlier:
                      The topic is poor and minorities not being able to vote because they have no ID.
                      Banks do not insist on a form of ID that would allow people to vote.
                      Last edited by Roy; 05-13-2021, 05:38 AM.

Comment

True.Also true. But - that ID does not need to be a photo-ID, nor does it need to be government issued. As noted earlier, a letter of recommendation from a school can suffice. Your own source states that a "benefit entitlement letter" or a "tax notification" will suffice.

You are expanding the term ID to include anything banks allow in order to show that banks require an ID, when you should be admitting that banks do not insist on the kind of photo-ID that this new law would require for voting - which was my point.

As you said earlier:
                        Banks do not insist on a form of ID that would allow people to vote.
                        I never said it had to be a photo ID. I said you had to have an ID in order to function normally in society. But most modern ID does have a photo. And even to get other forms of ID you mention would require you to verify your ID by providing evidence to that agency that you are who you are. At some point in the chain you would need to prove who you are.

Comment

I never said it had to be a photo ID. I said you had to have an ID in order to function normally in society. But most modern ID does have a photo. And even to get other forms of ID you mention would require you to verify your ID by providing evidence to that agency that you are who you are. At some point in the chain you would need to prove who you are.
                          You initially responded to a post about photo-IDs, implying that was the type of ID you were talking about - but have now moved to classifying anything that can be used to verify who you are, including a letter from the tax office, as an ID.

You've steadily moved the goalposts further and further down the ID scale from photo-IDs to things most people would not consider an ID at all.

Yet you're still wrong, because you can rent accommodation in the UK without any of those things. I know, because I've done it. You are literally telling me that something I have actually done is not possible.

Comment

You initially responded to a post about photo-IDs, implying that was the type of ID you were talking about - but have now moved to classifying anything that can be used to verify who you are, including a letter from the tax office, as an ID.

You've steadily moved the goalposts further and further down the ID scale from photo-IDs to things most people would not consider an ID at all.

Yet you're still wrong, because you can rent accommodation in the UK without any of those things. I know, because I've done it. You are literally telling me that something I have actually done is not possible.
                            What you did back in the stone age doesn't count, Roy. And I am not wrong. You need ID to function in society. And to get an ID you need to provide the issuer with proof of who you are. Whether that is a photo ID or not. and the fact is, most modern forms of ID do have photos on them.

Comment

What you did back in the stone age doesn't count, Roy. And I am not wrong. You need ID to function in society.
                              The goalposts move again, this time from "get welfare/have a bank account/rent someplace to live" to "function in society".

You might be correct about the US (though apart from customs, I don't recall ever having had to show an ID while in the US). You are wrong about the UK.

Comment

I had to show my I.D. to buy a lighter earlier this week.

Comment