Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The UK Must Be Racist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    You said: "False. You can still collect benefit and pension payments at post offices by showing a pension book or similar (though this is being phased out soon)"
    It sounds like the UK is a third world country - like they can't get voter IDs to people who want them?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

It sounds like the UK is a third world country -
      I think you may have a point. It is often referred to as the "@hole of Europe" within EU countries!

"It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The point made Roy was valid. A pension book would be valid ID if collecting benefits and/or pension payments from a post office.
        Besides the point. The topic is poor and minorities not being able to vote because they have no ID. I am saying they would need an ID in order to collect welfare, as I showed in a link earlier.

Comment

Besides the point. The topic is poor and minorities not being able to vote because they have no ID. I am saying they would need an ID in order to collect welfare, as I showed in a link earlier.
          Well I recommend ID cards and refer you to my first post on this thread.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well I recommend ID cards and refer you to my first post on this thread.
            Welcome to the Dark Side.

Comment

Welcome to the Dark Side.
              Are you in favour of ID cards? We have them here as do other countries in the EU and none of us feel overly oppressed or intimidated by our respective governments.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Are you in favour of ID cards? We have them here as do other countries in the EU and none of us feel overly oppressed or intimidated by our respective governments.
                Yes. I think the whole idea that minorities and poor people can't get them is ridiculous. There is no excuse not to have an ID our society. They are necessary to be able to function properly in so many ways, whether you are rich or poor. Which is why I was telling Roy that even poor people need IDs in order to get government assistance.

Comment

Yes. I think the whole idea that minorities and poor people can't get them is ridiculous. There is no excuse not to have an ID our society. They are necessary to be able to function properly in so many ways, whether you are rich or poor. Which is why I was telling Roy that even poor people need IDs in order to get government assistance.
                  Something we agree on. Given the amount of surveillance we are all under anyway what difference is a small plastic card going to have to our "liberties"?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

I bet when the change occurred they didn't notify everyone.
                    And how do you propose they should go about notifying everyone who doesn't have an I.D.?

I mean, how are they supposed to know?

They let it be known well enough that it was a major topic of discussion virtually everywhere for several weeks. That's a pretty good indication that the news was widely disseminated. And the fact that there've been no major hiccups in its implementation also suggests that they were successful.

For you see, Georgia also installed a safety net. If someone wants to vote but has no I.D. they can still fill out a provisional ballot. They set these ballots aside.

If the election is close enough that these provisional ballots could effect the outcome, then they try to verify the identity of the caster (no problem if legitimate) and count them. Obviously there is no need to go through that expense and effort if the difference is say, 5000 votes and there are 1000 provisional votes.

Again, the left took this system to court multiple times on different grounds and the cases went nowhere. More states need to simply stick with this proven method, rather than keep insisting on trying to find another way that typically excludes one of the major factors
                    • free I.D.s to the poor.
                    • will go to where they live to issue the I.D. if there is any problem -- again free.
                    • provisional ballots for the miniscule fraction that falls through the cracks

resulting in the courts slapping them down.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      And how do you propose they should go about notifying everyone who doesn't have an I.D.?

I mean, how are they supposed to know?

They let it be known well enough that it was a major topic of discussion virtually everywhere for several weeks. That's a pretty good indication that the news was widely disseminated. And the fact that there've been no major hiccups in its implementation also suggests that they were successful.

For you see, Georgia also installed a safety net. If someone wants to vote but has no I.D. they can still fill out a provisional ballot. They set these ballots aside.

If the election is close enough that these provisional ballots could effect the outcome, then they try to verify the identity of the caster (no problem if legitimate) and count them. Obviously there is no need to go through that expense and effort if the difference is say, 5000 votes and there are 1000 provisional votes.

Again, the left took this system to court multiple times on different grounds and the cases went nowhere. More states need to simply stick with this proven method, rather than keep insisting on trying to find another way that typically excludes one of the major factors
                      • free I.D.s to the poor.
                      • will go to where they live to issue the I.D. if there is any problem -- again free.
                      • provisional ballots for the miniscule fraction that falls through the cracks

resulting in the courts slapping them down.
                      But what about dead people who can't get to the DMV to get an ID?

Comment

That is the only thing that can explain this racist law!
                        Boris got the idea from you.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

Boris got the idea from you.
                          Seer! You didn't tell me you knew the British PM!

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Seer! You didn't tell me you knew the British PM!
                            I used to be his barber.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I used to be his barber.
                              Which reminds me. When are you going to return that weedwhacker you borrowed?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

from your own link (which is talking about setting up an account online, btw):
                                If you think that, you didn't read more than the first screenful.
                                We want to get your account up and running as soon as possible, so, if we can, we'll ask you to upload some documents as part of your application.
                                This is important, as it helps us check you are who you say you are.
                                We'll probably ask for;
                                • Photo ID, such as: Drivers licence, Passport or EU ID card
                                • A short video or selfie to compare with your photo ID
                                • We might also need to see a proof of address, such as: a Drivers Licence, Utility bill, Bank statement or Tax document
                                You didn't scroll down and check the full list of documents they will accept, so don't know that you're only posting a subset. The "probably" you quoted is a certain giveaway that there are other possibilities.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment