Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The UK Must Be Racist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The UK Must Be Racist!

That is the only thing that can explain this racist law!

Queen’s speech: voters will need photo ID for general elections

Britons will have to show photo ID to vote in future general elections, ministers are poised to confirm this week, as a means of tackling fraud which critics claim could deter poorer and ethnic minority voters from taking part in democracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ns-social-care
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

No question about it. The old gal hates ethnic minorities

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

No question about it. The old gal hates ethnic minorities

White privilege on steroids!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

The Tories are trying out GOP voter suppression tactics. They're an awful party, so no shock at stooping to this level, they've got the fake culture war stuff down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
          The Tories are trying out GOP voter suppression tactics. They're an awful party, so no shock at stooping to this level, they've got the fake culture war stuff down pat.
          Explain how voter ID is "voter suppression tactics." I want to hear from your own words how that is. This should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Explain how voter ID is "voter suppression tactics." I want to hear from your own words how that is. This should be good.
            That ^

Comment

Looks reasonable to me.
              One person, one vote.

Would you like that as well?

Comment

Conservatives want only those who are genuinely entitled to vote to be able to vote. If a few people miss out, that's a pity.

Progressives want everyone who is entitled to vote to be able to vote. If a few (or many) people who aren't entitled get to vote anyway, that's a pity.

I prefer the conservative approach.
                ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

As the article notes, "A requirement that all voters carry photo ID could impede people who wish to turn up at polling stations without planning ahead, given about a quarter of voters – often younger voters – do not have either a passport or driving licence, critics say." Hence if the requirement is that the voter must have some sort of ID [e.g. a drivers licence or a passport] then it will disenfranchise a lot of people who do not have those.

The issue is really about ID cards, and the fact that UK citizens do not have these. I seem to recall that the idea was suggested some time ago and was howled down as an infringement of a "Freeborn Englishman's" liberties.

I have never understood this issue about carrying an ID card [we all have them as do many other countries] given that in today's society there is a wealth of CCTV surveillance [particularly in the UK] that purchases through credit and debit cards are tracked as are details of many retail items, as well as the fact that anyone, wherever they live in the world, if they use a smart phone and/or a computer, is constantly being tracked by big tech and advertising.

Yet somehow a piece of plastic with an individual's name, residence, and photograph on it is an infringement of liberty!

"It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

As the article notes, "A requirement that all voters carry photo ID could impede people who wish to turn up at polling stations without planning ahead, given about a quarter of voters – often younger voters – do not have either a passport or driving licence, critics say." Hence if the requirement is that the voter must have some sort of ID [e.g. a drivers licence or a passport] then it will disenfranchise a lot of people who do not have those.
                    Exactly. Not even all driving licences are photo-IDs - there are plenty of older ones still in existence. There are plenty of people who don't have photo driving licences or passports or student cards or photo work passes. They would be unable to vote.

This isn't a racist measure in any way. Its a financial disenfranchisement measure, since it will impact those with least income, who may not be able to afford a car or to travel, and for whom photo IDs are an unnecessary expenditure.

It's not coincidental that the party proposing this measure does not support or enjoy much support from the less-well-off.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Exactly. Not even all driving licences are photo-IDs - there are plenty of older ones still in existence. There are plenty of people who don't have photo driving licences or passports or student cards or photo work passes. They would be unable to vote.
                      That is the problem that issuing all citizens with ID cards would remove.

This isn't a racist measure in any way. Its a financial disenfranchisement measure, since it will impact those with least income, who may not be able to afford a car or to travel, and for whom photo IDs are an unnecessary expenditure.
                      I agree, particularly among the young [many of whom, if they vote, do not vote Conservative] and of course the low income households, again a sector of society that should, but often does not, vote anyway.

It's not coincidental that the party proposing this measure does not support or enjoy much support from the less-well-off.
                      Judging by the recent UK election results I am not sure that is entirely true. Reading The Guardian and The Observer amongst other newspapers over the week-end it appears that the Labour Party is in danger of becoming an irrelevance with support primarily among the well-heeled metropolitan voters and students. Solidly working class and Labour voting regions of England [not Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland] are turning to the Conservatives and it is England's election results that carry the day in any general election. The recent results also seem to be reflecting the Leave/Remain voting divide over Brexit. Nor do any of the investigations into corruption and sleaze among the Conservatives appear to be having an impact on voters' decisions.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Exactly. Not even all driving licences are photo-IDs - there are plenty of older ones still in existence.
                        The concept of renewing a driver's license unknown over there? Do you get one for life?

And if the government decides to require photo IDs to vote, don't you suppose that they would also plan on issuing them first before requiring them?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                          Conservatives want only those who are genuinely entitled to vote to be able to vote. If a few people miss out, that's a pity.

Progressives want everyone who is entitled to vote to be able to vote. If a few (or many) people who aren't entitled get to vote anyway, that's a pity.

I prefer the conservative approach.
                          Further, conservatives are willing to bend over backwards trying to minimize the number that miss out. Even providing free I.D.s and going to where you live to issue it to you, as is the case where I live.

OTOH, those on the left keep trying to expand the number of ineligible people voting.

Comment

I am pretty sure even in the UK in order to get welfare (public assistance) you have to provide an ID. To have a bank account you have to have an ID. To rent someplace to live, you have to have an ID. ID's are necessary to function in any society and are usually free or very cheap. The whole "poor and minorities can't get IDs" is a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I am pretty sure even in the UK in order to get welfare (public assistance) you have to provide an ID. To have a bank account you have to have an ID. To rent someplace to live, you have to have an ID. ID's are necessary to function in any society and are usually free or very cheap. The whole "poor and minorities can't get IDs" is a lie.
                              And isn't it strange how liberals always claim it is poor minorities who are affected? Apparently they must think that poor whites don't have any problem getting an ID (or else they're racists who don't care if they do or don't).

This looks to be yet another version of liberals deciding that minorities just aren't capable of functioning without the help of generous white leftists to hold their hands and show them what to do.

Comment