Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hair stylists/salons and doing Cultural Appropriation hairstyles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair stylists/salons and doing Cultural Appropriation hairstyles.

I have a question. Once again there seems to be another round of condemnation because a white person "appropriated" a black person's hairstyle. (Justin Bieber has dreadlocks).

So, here is the question. If you believe these hairstyles are wrong, should stylists and hair salons refuse to do them for white people who request them?

(NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR DEBATING CULTURAL APPROPRIATION ITSELF, OR SPECIFIC EXAMPLES. IF YOU WANT TO DEBATE THAT, START ANOTHER THREAD)

Firstly, why should anybody have the right to tell a privately owned salon (or any other business) what sort of service they should render to their customers?

If a salon chooses to provide any kind of hairstyle to any person, who am I to say they are doing it wrong and because my sensibilities might be offended, it's not my business to interfere in theirs.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

If dreadlocks or perms on white people is wrong, then so is black people straightening or dying their hair. They can only wear it natural.

although, I think dreadlocks look nasty on anyone. Like they stuck mud in their hair. yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        If dreadlocks or perms on white people is wrong, then so is black people straightening or dying their hair. They can only wear it natural.

although, I think dreadlocks look nasty on anyone. Like they stuck mud in their hair. yuck.
        You're just hoping that those pictures of you with your hair in corn rows never surface.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          You're just hoping that those pictures of you with your hair in corn rows never surface.
          AAUvwnhkZjfj3AhZNOvbxzIzVLTKZZHGLAlIHVstuYx1=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj.jpg

Comment

That's a 'fro.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's a 'fro.
              I had a fro back in the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                I have a question. Once again there seems to be another round of condemnation because a white person "appropriated" a black person's hairstyle. (Justin Bieber has dreadlocks).
                Oh good grief. Who remembers the "bubble" perms of the 1970s?

Kevin Keegan anyone?

So, here is the question. If you believe these hairstyles are wrong
                They are not "wrong" because they occur naturally and people can have them recreated.

should stylists and hair salons refuse to do them for white people who request them?
                No. It's a knee-jerk reaction from some people who need get a life.

"It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Kevin Keegan anyone?

They are not "wrong" because they occur naturally and people can have them recreated.

We will turn you into a conservative yet!

Comment

We will turn you into a conservative yet!
                    I missed the preposition "to" get a life!
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I had a fro back in the 70s.

Of course you did.

[*of all the smileys I have at my disposal never more than now have I needed one with a rictus grin of sheer horror*]

Comment

Of course you did.

[*of all the smileys I have at my disposal never more than now have I needed one with a rictus grin of sheer horror*]
                        be93c6c373b9bcf3510360a7cb706e93a09cd4fe_00.jpg

Comment

And he's actually a pirate
                          or at least part of a pirate crew
                          eba2c40e2e1e163618ae2f5d62879cc7e8bdcbb0_hq.gif

But as you might of gleaned

he appears to be a pervert as well
                          animesher.com_skeleton-brook-pirate-1122723.gif

Comment

Moderator Notice

All off-topic posts have been moved to the Padded Room.
                            Do not further derail this thread. Consider yourself warned.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Kevin Keegan anyone?

You are doing exactly what I said not to do. You are arguing about cultural appropriation.

Instead, the question is whether those who think its wrong should refuse to do them for customers who request them.

Comment