Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Liberals Who Can’t Quit Lockdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I went to Kaiser Permanente to refill my prescription and asked about getting a vaccination. The eyes of the woman I asked lit up as she smiled brightly and gave me a card with a number to call to set up an appointment. I don't know which of the vaccines they have but I guess I'll call tomorrow.
    I'm particularly interested in the newest one out of College Station, Texas, that was in the final approval process (don't know if that happened yet) and they are prepared to begin manufacturing millions of doses immediately. (I wouldn't be surprised if they're already making doses, pending approval)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

We know more now than we did then. Shouldn't we follow the science on things like re-opening schools?
      Definitely. The problem is that the science is still largely tentative. Some of the things that aren't tentative are that children can transmit the disease, that many teachers and relatives are far more vulnerable than the children are, that many of those teachers and relatives have not been vaccinated yet, and even those that are have about 0.01% chance of catching and dying from the disease.

I do not think it is worth reopening schools in any area where there is still a high incidence of cases and the vaccination program is incomplete.
      Last edited by Roy; 05-10-2021, 07:30 AM.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

What about the fact that the science says it's safe to re-open schools?
        You haven't established that that is a fact.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

Because "science" itself cannot say anything?

OTOH, scientists can and have. The CDC has been saying that it was safe to return to school since last autumn.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

OTOH, scientists can and have. The CDC has been saying that it was safe to return to school since last autumn.
            This is a really good example between Ox and Roy how liberals will find ways to ignore the experts and ignore what scientists are saying when their political position isn't supported by it.

Comment

Because he hadn't posted any science, only political opinions.

Comment

This is a really good example between Ox and Roy how liberals will find ways to ignore the experts and ignore what scientists are saying when their political position isn't supported by it.
                This has nothing to do with my political views, which I doubt you even know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Well, considering I've been part of a sub-hub in our county that has vaccinated over 5,000 people per day, and has just recently shut down due to lack of demand....

And my own doctor advised me to wait, because I have already had Covid and sailed through it....
                  Working to minimize vaccine reluctance doesn't just save lives, it also minimizes the chance we'll have to bring back stronger mandates, where accommodating the vaccine reluctant ... doesn't. There are identifiable populations, including Blacks, veterans and Trump people, who need reassurance and support from inside their own communities. I got stone-faced in GA when I talked about getting my second shot at the "store," likely enough because my accent made it clear I'm not one of them.

You don't have that disadvantage, preacher.

Comment

I'm particularly interested in the newest one out of College Station, Texas, that was in the final approval process (don't know if that happened yet) and they are prepared to begin manufacturing millions of doses immediately. (I wouldn't be surprised if they're already making doses, pending approval)
                    This one, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Do you think the CDC was just issuing political opinions? If you do I know a few people who agree

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

This one, maybe?
                        Can't tell - it wants me to sign up for an account.

But, if it's this one....

Novavax vaccine ready to be mass manufactured at Texas A&M University

Then, yeah.

The facility was created by the government after the H1N1 pandemic, so the U.S. would be ready to quickly manufacture vaccines in the event of another pandemic.

HOUSTON — Novavax could soon be the fourth COVID-19 vaccine to get emergency use authorization.

Earlier this week, President Joe Biden said Novavax coming online will allow the U.S. to share vaccines with the rest of the world.

The company said it will produce 100 million doses by the end of the year. A facility in College Station, Texas, will be part of the effort to rapidly manufacture the vaccine.

“We have the capability here of producing tens of millions of doses per month in this facility,” Dr. Jay Treat said.

Treat is the director of the bio-manufacturing center at Texas A&M, called CIADM, the Center for Innovation in Advanced Development and Manufacturing. It was created by the federal government in 2012 after the H1N1 influenza pandemic, so the United States would be ready to quickly mass manufacture vaccines in the event of another pandemic or biological attack.

The government contract also involved building a training facility called the National Center for Therapeutics Manufacturing.

FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies is now running the facility where the Novavax vaccine will be made.

“We were created just for what is going on right now,” said Jenny Ligon, who leads the team tasked with training the plant’s workforce.

Ligon said they began training workers in the summer of 2020.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do you think the CDC was just issuing political opinions? If you do I know a few people who agree
                          I think he'd posted an article from The Atlantic and an article from Time magazine. These were political opinions, and were not from the CDC.

Comment

Can't tell - it wants me to sign up for an account.
                            Signing up for an account is free and then you can access anything related to Covid without having to pay. Not that paying for a subscription isn't better, but far be it from me to recommend ways to get around a paywall to a preacher.

Nah, I was looking at a vaccine that originated in Texas.
                            After the SARS epidemic in 2002, Baylor College of Medicine researchers began developing a vaccine that could prevent a new outbreak. Despite promising early results, support for the research disappeared. Because the coronaviruses that cause SARS and Covid-19 are very similar, the researchers revived the project in partnership with the Texas Children’s Hospital. The researchers have found that the Covid-19 vaccine produces antibodies in mice.

The Indian company Biological E licensed it in August and launched a Phase 1/2 trial in November, combining the viral proteins with an adjuvant made by Dynavax. On Dec. 29, Biological E and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations announced a partnership to advance the development and manufacturing of the vaccine, known as BECOV2, with CEPI initially contributing $5 million to the effort.

On April 24, Biological E announced it was starting a Phase 3 trial. Two days later, the Biden administration said it would fund a substantial expansion of Biological E’s manufacturing capability. The company has a target of 300 million doses ready for immediate deployment when the vaccine is approved, and plans on making 1.2 billion doses in 2022.
                            Updated May 7

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Signing up for an account is free and then you can access anything related to Covid without having to pay. Not that paying for a subscription isn't better, but far be it from me to recommend ways to get around a paywall to a preacher.

Nah, I was looking at a vaccine that originated in Texas.
                              After the SARS epidemic in 2002, Baylor College of Medicine researchers began developing a vaccine that could prevent a new outbreak. Despite promising early results, support for the research disappeared. Because the coronaviruses that cause SARS and Covid-19 are very similar, the researchers revived the project in partnership with the Texas Children’s Hospital. The researchers have found that the Covid-19 vaccine produces antibodies in mice.

The Indian company Biological E licensed it in August and launched a Phase 1/2 trial in November, combining the viral proteins with an adjuvant made by Dynavax. On Dec. 29, Biological E and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations announced a partnership to advance the development and manufacturing of the vaccine, known as BECOV2, with CEPI initially contributing $5 million to the effort.

On April 24, Biological E announced it was starting a Phase 3 trial. Two days later, the Biden administration said it would fund a substantial expansion of Biological E’s manufacturing capability. The company has a target of 300 million doses ready for immediate deployment when the vaccine is approved, and plans on making 1.2 billion doses in 2022.
                              Updated May 7

Interesting.

Thanks

Comment