Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Prophetic Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And it's complicated when tongues are involved -- I saw somebody "give a prophecy" (back in my Jesus Freak days) and nobody else was ready with an interpretation, so that same woman gave the interpretation. I don't think that flies at all.

[I don't think we can get terribly crossways if politics is not involved]
    I've seen that too and always thought it a bit odd. OTOH, the person speaking in tongues 'has no understanding' as Paul says, so in practical terms it's not a great deal different than if someone else feels led to interpret - unless the only reason the person brings forward an interpretation is more about being embarrassed than being inspired.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I don't get the distinction between a believer who is frequently wrong in his prophecies and a false prophet.
      Sometimes it's the same, sometimes not. A false prophet can be a person that's not a believer at all. Some sort of medium or whatever. But sometimes people are just looking for attention. Or a little mentally not all there.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I've seen that too and always thought it a bit odd. OTOH, the person speaking in tongues 'has no understanding' as Paul says, so in practical terms it's not a great deal different than if someone else feels led to interpret - unless the only reason the person brings forward an interpretation is more about being embarrassed than being inspired.
        Which is why I think most people believe that the person doing the interpretation is a different person than the one speaking in tongues. Otherwise, the person doing the speaking in tongues could have just give their message in the tongue of the listeners.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the link. Clearly a sad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

One thing that sort of complicates the matter is that in the OT, prophecy seems somewhat conditional. Jonah prophesized that Nineveh would be overthrown in 40 days, with no "if" in there. As we know, they repented and Nineveh was spared.
              Good point.

Comment

One thing that sort of complicates the matter is that in the OT, prophecy seems somewhat conditional. Jonah prophesized that Nineveh would be overthrown in 40 days, with no "if" in there. As we know, they repented and Nineveh was spared.
                That's a good point. Technically, by a strict reading of the laws in Deut., he should have been regarded as a false prophet.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Jeremiah Johnston, who prophesized a Trump victory, reported getting death threats. Not for prophesizing that, but for admitting he was wrong and apologizing. That's scary.
                  On another forum, someone made the observance that of those who made the false prophecies about Trump victories, those who admitted they were wrong and apologized lost popularity and got very strong blowback, but those who refused to apologize and made excuses managed to keep their popularity (they got blowback, but apparently not as much).

Granted, they only compared a few people and maybe things changed since then, but it was something I remember.

Comment

http://www.christianitydaily.com/art...dent-trump.htm

"Over the last 72 hours, I have received multiple death threats and thousands upon thousands of emails from Christians saying the nastiest and most vulgar things I have ever heard toward my family and ministry," Johnson shared.

Matthew {5:22} But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell
                    fire.

Comment

Pedantic grammar-nazi observations:

Noun -- Prophecy

Verb -- Prophesy, prophesied (not "prophesize," "prophesized")
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

On the issue of NT prophecy: ISTM that passages like Acts 2:17-18 and 1 Cor. 11:5; 12:10; 14:1,26, 31, 39 suggest that ever since the beginning of the "Last Days," prophetic gifts were to be widely distributed and eagerly desired. The inclusion of instructions like the last clause of 1 Cor. 14:29 and 1 Thess. 5:21 -- both occurring in the immediate context of prophecy being endorsed -- show that it was expected that mistakes would be made. But there is no indication that any punishment was to occur, at least in the case of simple mistakes.

Craig Keener discusses the gift here and here.

Sam Storms addresses it here, here, here, and here. (FTR, I of course do not concur with his patriarchal understanding of certain verses, especially 1 Cor. 1:34-35.)

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

One thing occurred to me - maybe this is offbase, but if these people are maintaining that Trump is still secretly the President to try to maintain these prophecies... that seems an awful lot like the full preterist position that Jesus has secretly returned but that it's not discernable to any of us.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

One thing occurred to me - maybe this is offbase, but if these people are maintaining that Trump is still secretly the President to try to maintain these prophecies... that seems an awful lot like the full preterist position that Jesus has secretly returned but that it's not discernable to any of us.
                            That's interesting. I never gave much thought to full Preterism. If this mess is the fully realized Kingdom, Jesus flopped as King.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Hour-long video of Doc Brown addressing ongoing false prophecies.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment