Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Prophetic Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prophetic Standards

So, in light of the all the flatulent falderal and miscellaneous misadventures this past election season, this Prophetic Standards Statement was issued.

-- The signers include several well-known names, at least some of which are also reasonably well respected. (E.g., Wayne Grudem, Craig Keener, Sam Storms, Michael Brown, Lee Grady.)

-- I'm a bit uncomfortable with the guy who has "Apostle" prefixed to his name. In light of Eph. 4 and 1 Cor. 12, I accept that some version of the gift is still extant, but I tend to think people who like to display the title do not deserve it.

-- Mark Barclay made an impression on me many years ago. I heard him preach at Aliquippa Christian Assembly. Instead of the usual mundane, "Turn and greet the person next to you," he said, "Turn to the person next to you and say, 'Are you stupid or what?'"

-- Jeremiah Johnson -- Probably not the "legendary" one.

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

I think the bible pretty clearly lays out the standards for a prophet and what should happen to false ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I think the bible pretty clearly lays out the standards for a prophet and what should happen to false ones.
      The article briefly addresses the matter of whether OT and NT prophecy are equivalent. We can discuss it if you wish.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

The article briefly addresses the matter of whether OT and NT prophecy are equivalent. We can discuss it if you wish.
        Old testament prophets designated as such were speaking directly for God.
        Anybody claiming to be that today should suffer the same consequences for getting it wrong.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If someone claims to speak as a prophet of God, they better get it 100% right or they are a false prophet and we shouldn't listen to them (at the very least)

Comment

If someone claims to speak as a prophet of God, they better get it 100% right or they are a false prophet and we shouldn't listen to them (at the very least)
            Unless you understand how prophesy is understood and practiced in Pentacostal or Charasmatic denominations, your comments are not likely to be anything but either wrong or unnecessarily derogatory.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Unless you understand how prophesy is understood and practiced in Pentacostal or Charasmatic denominations, your comments are not likely to be anything but either wrong or unnecessarily derogatory.
              I am sure there are lots of sects that think it is perfectly fine for someone to claim to be a prophet and be wrong, but according to the bible, THEY are wrong about that.

Comment

Jeremiah Johnston, who prophesized a Trump victory, reported getting death threats. Not for prophesizing that, but for admitting he was wrong and apologizing. That's scary.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

One thing that sort of complicates the matter is that in the OT, prophecy seems somewhat conditional. Jonah prophesized that Nineveh would be overthrown in 40 days, with no "if" in there. As we know, they repented and Nineveh was spared.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

One thing that sort of complicates the matter is that in the OT, prophecy seems somewhat conditional. Jonah prophesized that Nineveh would be overthrown in 40 days, with no "if" in there. As we know, they repented and Nineveh was spared.
                    true.

Comment

I am sure there are lots of sects that think it is perfectly fine for someone to claim to be a prophet and be wrong, but according to the bible, THEY are wrong about that.
                      You are correct about prophecy when interpreted as 'foretelling the future" - but that is only rarely what is involved in Pentecostal or Charismatic circles when a person is led to Prophesy. To prophesy is to bring forward a word from God. Technically it is what CP does every Sunday (or most Sundays). But it does take on a different character in such a service in that this is not a person that has prepared a sermon in prayer, but rather a person that is moved on by the Holy Spirit in that moment to speak out to a congregation a word from God. In most instances, it looks a lot like what the Angel said to the churches in Revelation. It is a specific word from God to that congregation or to individuals about their lives and what God is asking from them or intending to say to them. And indeed, it is often measured out and tested. But often there is an element of the unknowable involved, and this is often part of how the people receiving the prophecy understand or come to understand later that it was in fact God that spoke through the person to them (or not as the case may be).
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-07-2021, 03:55 PM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Jeremiah Johnston, who prophesized a Trump victory, reported getting death threats. Not for prophesizing that, but for admitting he was wrong and apologizing. That's scary.
                        Indeed - that is scary. Who is he getting death threats from - other Christians?

Comment

You are correct about prophecy when interpreted as 'foretelling the future" - but that is only rarely what is involved in Pentecostal or Charismatic circles when a person is led to Prophesy. To prophesy is to bring forward a word from God. Technically it is what CP does every Sunday (or most Sundays). But it does take on a different character in such a service in that this is not a person that has prepared a sermon in prayer, but rather a person that is moved on by the Holy Spirit in that moment to speak out to a congregation a word from God. In most instances, it looks a lot like what the Angel said to the churches in Revelation. It is a specific word from God to that congregation or to individuals about their lives and what God is asking from them or intending to say to them. And indeed, it is often measured out and tested. But often there is an element of the unknowable involved, and this is often part of how the people receiving the prophecy understand or come to understand later that it was in fact God that spoke through the person to them (or not as the case may be).
                          And it's complicated when tongues are involved -- I saw somebody "give a prophecy" (back in my Jesus Freak days) and nobody else was ready with an interpretation, so that same woman gave the interpretation. I don't think that flies at all.

[I don't think we can get terribly crossways if politics is not involved]
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Indeed - that is scary. Who is he getting death threats from - other Christians?
                            Yes: http://www.christianitydaily.com/art...dent-trump.htm

Comment

I don't get the distinction between a believer who is frequently wrong in his prophecies and a false prophet.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment