Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Anthony Fauci: A Brilliant Cheerleader for Endless Catastrophe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anthony Fauci: A Brilliant Cheerleader for Endless Catastrophe

    It's good to see people starting to wake up and realize what a huckster Fauci has been this last year. He lives for the spotlight and shifts his opinions to suit that need for the spotlight.
    https://www.realclearmarkets.com/art...he_775628.html
    It’s nice to see that Anthony Fauci is beginning to earn the solid international reputation that he deserves. Yen Makabenta, an acute observer and regular contributor to the Manila Times, recently acknowledged Dr Fauci as COVID’s “fearmonger-in-chief.” At long last, a departure from treating Fauci as an infallible demigod.

    Dr Fauci’s panic patina started to become obvious as his much feared post-2020 holiday season “surge on top of a surge” failed to materialize. Rather than an objective and dispassionate scientist, it began to appear that Fauci is more a brilliant cheerleader for catastrophe, unerringly finding and fanning the flames of fear for the worst-of-all-possible-worlds scenario.

    Over the opening months of 2021 Dr. Fauci’s gleaming ineptitude has been further burnished by repeated warnings of “impending doom” (to borrow from his colleague, Dr. Walensky):
    • In mid-February there were major blizzard-induced delays in COVID new case reporting, followed immediately by a compensatory upswing in reporting. Dr. Fauci, referencing one of the myriad of omnipresent COVID dashboards, informed the nation that this glitch in reporting was not an accounting artifact, but in fact “a plateau” in the US national epidemic curve (it wasn’t), heralding the next deadly “surge” (it didn’t).
    • In March, following the withdrawal of the statewide mask mandate in Texas, Dr. Fauci warned the world that Texas would soon be in the grip of a new COVID surge. When this particular prophecy of doom failed to make its appearance, he admitted that absence of a new Texas “surge” was “confusing.” Dr. Fauci went on to speculate that it might be due to everyone in Texas displaying their Neanderthal worldview by “doing things outside”(c’mon, man, really?).
    • In April, at the recurrence of a spring outbreak in Michigan (just like last year), Dr. Fauci sounded the alarm that Michigan was likely the “bellwether” for the “fourth wave” in the US. As it turns out, the “dire” Michigan outbreak epidemic curve peaked on or about April 5, two days before Fauci’s April 7 “bellwether” pronouncement. This “disturbingly high level” of new COVID cases in the US peaked out on April 9, accompanied by a monotonic decline in new COVID associated deaths, which continues through today. CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky, of course, made more headlines at that press conference with her lurid confession of “recurring feelings of impending doom” and being “scared” by “bellwether” Michigan.
    • As we make our way into May, Dr. Fauci insists that herd immunity can be reached only when 80-90% of the population have been vaccinated, due to the dire ravages of the B.1.1.7 strain of SARS-CoV-2, better known as the “British variant.” His latest foray into fanning the flames of doom ignores the transmission characteristics of a viral pathogen whose R value has never been reasonably calculated as higher than about 3.8 (50% higher than the wild type R value of 2.5). This yields a first order estimate of herd immunity threshold occurring at something like a 73% prevalence of immunity in the human population (not 80 to 90%). Further, Dr. Fauci ignores that 30% or so of the US population have recovered from and are immune to SARS-CoV-2 infection, thus reducing the need for vaccine induced immunity to something like 45% in order to reach a herd immunity threshold. Finally, Dr. Fauci seems uninterested in the body of research which strongly suggests that somewhere between 10 and 30% of the human population is able to mount a robust immune response to SARS-CoV-2 even in the absence of exposure to the virus. Investigators believe that this may be due to exposure to other so-called “common cold” coronaviridae. If even 10% of the US population can mount such a response, this could drop the need for vaccine induced immunity to as little as 35% of the population. Better, though, according to the dogma of Dr. Fauci, to cling to the impossible goal of 80 to 90% vaccination prevalence, which allows him to declare herd immunity an impossibility, mandating all the rest of us to: stay home indefinitely, wear two masks at all times, nurture symptoms of anxiety disorder with panic attacks (the symptoms reported by Dr. Walensky), and wait breathlessly for the next pronouncement by Dr. Tony Fauci. This is called “following the science” and “saving lives.”

    None of Fauci’s above warnings have any basis in empirically derived fact. Indeed, none of these warnings is even rational.

    (cont. in link)
    Interesting, this comes around the same time as an analysis of the complete failure of the containment/mitigation that Fauci pushed:
    https://fee.org/articles/costs-of-co...hers-conclude/
    This article is excerpted from the FEE Daily, a daily email newsletter where FEE Policy Correspondent Brad Polumbo brings you news and analysis on the top free-market economics and policy stories. Click here to sign up.

    COVID mitigation measures were always a question of costs and benefits, of good intentions versus unintended consequences. Two health researchers just concluded that for roughly 89 percent of Americans the benefits of both voluntary and government mitigation efforts alike have been vastly outweighed by their costs.

    “The list of [pandemic policy] mistakes is long, but the most glaring was the failure to understand and act on the virus’s propensity to attack the old and vulnerable,” pharmaceutical consultant Charles L. Hooper and Hoover Institution health economist David R. Henderson write in the Wall Street Journal. “Policy makers failed, in other words, to understand the enemy.”

    They looked at the fact that COVID-19 death rates varied widely among age groups, with an 85-year-old roughly 2,000 times more likely to die from the coronavirus than an 18-year-old. Then, they calculated the expected life years lost from infection for different age groups. Using this, the researchers estimated the value gained, on average, from mitigation measures for individuals of different age groups.

    They weighed this against the costs of mitigation measures, which include “reduced schooling, reduced economic activity, increased substance abuse, more suicides, more loneliness, reduced contact with loved ones, delayed cancer diagnoses, delayed childhood vaccinations, increased anxiety, lower wage growth, travel restrictions, reduced entertainment choices, and fewer opportunities for socializing and building friendships.”

    The result?

    Hooper and Henderson conclude that—only looking at economic, not social costs—mitigation efforts cost young people $102,000 but only preserved an average of 7.5 hours of life per individual.

    https://twitter.com/nickgillespie/st...rs-conclude%2F

    “Would you pay $102,000 to live an extra 7.5 hours?” the researchers ask. “What 18-year-old values his time at $13,600 an hour?” However, they find that for the elderly the benefits of mitigation efforts do exceed the costs: “The benefits of protection, measured in life expectancy, are 210 times as high for the older person.”

    “Had policy makers understood the enemy, they would have adopted different protocols for young and old,” Hooper and Henderson conclude. “Politicians would have practiced focused protection, narrowing their efforts to the most vulnerable 11% of the population and freeing the remaining 89% of Americans from wasteful burdens.”

    I’d take it one step further.

    The fact that costs and benefits associated with pandemic mitigation measures vary so enormously across different people is all the more reason to leave decision-making to the individual judgment level.

    As Nobel-prize-winning economist F.A. Hayek wrote, “...the more the state ‘plans,’ the more difficult planning becomes for the individual.” That’s why top-down dictates by bureaucrats who try to plan for all of society only lead to more dysfunction.

    The mitigation efforts not only cost lives (suicides in particular - with many more deaths likely to still come, with delayed cancer diagnoses), for younger people it cost an average 100k, all to extend their lives an average of 7.5 HOURS. For 89 percent of the population, there was essentially zero benefit, at high cost (which will likely continue in coming months as eviction moratoriums begin to lift and people begin to lose their apartments and rental homes, later cancer gets treated finally, addictions that developed during the lockdowns continue to worsen, etc.)

    Brilliant work there, Fauci.

  • #2
    A doctor from Johns Hopkins recently published an opinion piece in the New York Post saying that the country is already at herd immunity and that extreme mitigation measures no longer make any sense (assuming they ever did).

    To put things in context, during the mildest flu season in the last eight years, there were 24 million cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control, and approximately 447,000 daily cases during its peak week. By comparison, we’re averaging 49,641 daily COVID cases. That same mild flu season resulted in 280,000 hospitalizations. By comparison, current COVID hospitalizations as of May 1 are 34,905.

    [...]

    The case-fatality risk of COVID is also plummeting. That’s because a remarkable 83 percent of US seniors are now vaccinated and the virus has moved to younger, healthier people. For Americans under age 55, the case-fatality rate last month was approximately 6.5 per 10,000. Since we are now capturing as many as 1 in 4.5 infections with testing, the real-world case-fatality rate is 1 to 1.4 per 10,000, similar to influenza (1.3 per 10,000 in people under 50). And vaccines will likely provide at least some immunity against variants.

    With far fewer susceptible people and a younger cohort, we’re dealing with a different risk level than even just a few months ago.

    Despite this good news, Americans are being told variants and hesitancy will prevent “herd immunity.” Yet noticeably absent from their calculations is the contribution of natural immunity from prior infection or exposure. Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Rochelle Walensky simply don’t talk about the percent of Americans they estimate have natural immunity. That omission creates a perception that the race to 70 to 85 percent immunity is more desperate, resulting in a prolonged timeline, talk of vaccine mandates and an imperative that young kids get the shot.

    https://nypost.com/2021/05/04/dont-b...eat-is-ending/
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-07-2021, 06:35 AM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

    Comment


    • #3
      It would be fascinating if it were possible to have a debate between Fauci from April 2020 and Fauci from April 2021

      I'm always still in trouble again

      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        A doctor from Johns Hopkins recently published an opinion piece in the New York Post saying that the country is already at herd immunity and that extreme mitigation measures no longer make any sense (assuming they ever did).

        To put things in context, during the mildest flu season in the last eight years, there were 24 million cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control, and approximately 447,000 daily cases during its peak week. By comparison, we’re averaging 49,641 daily COVID cases. That same mild flu season resulted in 280,000 hospitalizations. By comparison, current COVID hospitalizations as of May 1 are 34,905.

        [...]

        The case-fatality risk of COVID is also plummeting. That’s because a remarkable 83 percent of US seniors are now vaccinated and the virus has moved to younger, healthier people. For Americans under age 55, the case-fatality rate last month was approximately 6.5 per 10,000. Since we are now capturing as many as 1 in 4.5 infections with testing, the real-world case-fatality rate is 1 to 1.4 per 10,000, similar to influenza (1.3 per 10,000 in people under 50). And vaccines will likely provide at least some immunity against variants.

        With far fewer susceptible people and a younger cohort, we’re dealing with a different risk level than even just a few months ago.

        Despite this good news, Americans are being told variants and hesitancy will prevent “herd immunity.” Yet noticeably absent from their calculations is the contribution of natural immunity from prior infection or exposure. Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Rochelle Walensky simply don’t talk about the percent of Americans they estimate have natural immunity. That omission creates a perception that the race to 70 to 85 percent immunity is more desperate, resulting in a prolonged timeline, talk of vaccine mandates and an imperative that young kids get the shot.

        https://nypost.com/2021/05/04/dont-b...eat-is-ending/
        Yep, I've seen a lot of dishonesty in liberal media which seems to try to make it seem as if we are very far away from herd immunity (Fauci himself has been acting this way as well), while blatantly ignoring natural immunity by people who have already had the disease (like myself)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

          Yep, I've seen a lot of dishonesty in liberal media which seems to try to make it seem as if we are very far away from herd immunity (Fauci himself has been acting this way as well), while blatantly ignoring natural immunity by people who have already had the disease (like myself)
          And people with healthy immune systems which can naturally fight off the China flu.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God


          From "Fools Gold" by Petra

          Comment


          • #6
            This is why people have stopped listening to the idiots in charge of this pandemic:

            kamala.jpg

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              This is why people have stopped listening to the idiots in charge of this pandemic:

              kamala.jpg
              Probably his idea since he knows where her mouth has been.



              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

                Yep, I've seen a lot of dishonesty in liberal media which seems to try to make it seem as if we are very far away from herd immunity (Fauci himself has been acting this way as well), while blatantly ignoring natural immunity by people who have already had the disease (like myself)
                Delhi, India was supposed to be very close to herd immunity in January.

                Then in April they were hit with a second wave.

                Maybe we should listen to Fauci instead of pretending that we're so smart.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                  Maybe we should listen to Fauci instead of pretending that we're so smart.
                  Do what he says, not what he does...

                  download.jpg
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God


                  From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fauci and the CDC are just now giving a press report saying fully vaccinated people don't have to wear a mask. What I and every other person with a lick of sense have been saying for months.

                    eta:

                    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/cdc-...-settings.html

                    Fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a face mask or stay six feet away from others in most settings, whether outdoors or indoors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in updated public health guidance released Thursday

                    Last edited by Sparko; 05-13-2021, 01:28 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Fauci and the CDC are just now giving a press report saying fully vaccinated people don't have to wear a mask. What I and every other person with a lick of sense have been saying for months.

                      eta:

                      https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/cdc-...-settings.html

                      Fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a face mask or stay six feet away from others in most settings, whether outdoors or indoors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in updated public health guidance released Thursday
                      Will they open the churches? Will Canada follow suit? Will Canada drop the crap against pastors who are courageous enough to continue following God's directions to not forsake the assembling of believers?


                      Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Fauci and the CDC are just now giving a press report saying fully vaccinated people don't have to wear a mask. What I and every other person with a lick of sense have been saying for months.
                        The fact that you said it before them doesn't mean that they should have said it earlier than they did.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Fauci and the CDC are just now giving a press report saying fully vaccinated people don't have to wear a mask. What I and every other person with a lick of sense have been saying for months.

                          eta:

                          https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/cdc-...-settings.html

                          Fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a face mask or stay six feet away from others in most settings, whether outdoors or indoors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in updated public health guidance released Thursday

                          It's kind of meaningless since no one can tell who's been vaccinated and who hasn't. This looks like a pretext for the vaccine passport they're about to roll out. Wearing a mask or not looks like it will be the new vaccination "carrot."
                          "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                            The fact that you said it before them doesn't mean that they should have said it earlier than they did.
                            Every other vaccine makes you immune to the disease, it's what they do. But in this case they acted like they had no idea. But look, it works just like every other vaccine. duh.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                              Delhi, India was supposed to be very close to herd immunity in January.

                              Then in April they were hit with a second wave.

                              Maybe we should listen to Fauci instead of pretending that we're so smart.
                              Lol yes let's listen to Herr Fauci, who has been wrong on essentially all advice and who flipflops faster than a college student running to the bar on a spring break beach trip.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by NorrinRadd, Today, 12:06 PM
                              1 response
                              25 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Backup
                              by Backup
                               
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 06:43 AM
                              19 responses
                              113 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post Gondwanaland  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 06:27 AM
                              14 responses
                              59 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                              Started by seer, 06-17-2021, 11:25 AM
                              7 responses
                              72 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post oxmixmudd  
                              Started by oxmixmudd, 06-17-2021, 11:16 AM
                              63 responses
                              386 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Working...
                              X