Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The cancel culture and its comparable historical antecedents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Did Jesus leave his own records?

No that's later Christian propaganda. You also need to consider the events of 66-70 CE.
    This is a classic example of a back-and-forth conversation on which neither of us will budge an iota, and is therefore a waste of time.

You may continue this like if you wish, but without me.

Now, if you'd like to play a game of chess.....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This is a classic example of a back-and-forth conversation on which neither of us will budge an iota, and is therefore a waste of time.

You may continue this like if you wish, but without me.
      I am just pointing out historical facts. Not later theological beliefs.

However, as noted in my amended reply you are repeating the old libel that the Jews killed Jesus.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I am just pointing out historical facts. Not later theological beliefs.

However, as noted in my amended reply you are repeating the old libel that the Jews killed Jesus.
        Yeah, but they managed to get the Romans to do it for them.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, but they managed to get the Romans to do it for them.
          Arrant nonsense.

"It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Arrant nonsense.
            Cool.

Comment

Cool.
              Well I'd use another word.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Well, you might, but then you'd type the sentence and skip the word as you wrote it.

Signed,
                  The Proverbial

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Well, you might, but then you'd type the sentence and skip the word as you wrote it.

Signed,
                    The Proverbial
                    Thus Spake the Great Art Historian!
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Thus Spake the Great Art Historian!
                      Correction.

The Proverbial Great Art Historian!

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Correction.

The Proverbial Great Art Historian!
                        Well you used the word!
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Those gospels were not composed in the region and they are most definitely not extraneous nor contemporary. Do you know the term Aretalogies? These gospels are semi-aretalogies.

As for your other silly remark. I responded to comments made by others. Take your complaint to them.
                          I believe that we once went over the rarity of contemporaneous literature from the ancient world, including works that would definitely have been copied multiple times for decades if not centuries, but are totally lost to us.

And yet here we have not one but four complete works, not just fragments of quotes like so many other works of the era, with three of them being compiled not long (a few decades) after His death. Considering that the people back then were overwhelmingly illiterate, meaning societies where oral tradition was strong, there was no need to rush anything into writing, but we still have these books from a time when there would still be a good number of eyewitnesses alive -- including a few key ones.

That is pretty much what we have for the great Carthaginian general Hannibal. You know, the guy who took the elephants through the Alps. Utterly annihilated a couple Roman armies in battle. There had to be an awful lot of ink spilled about him, not just while he was active but for the next generation. But the first time he's ever mentioned is somewhere between 40 and 80 years later by Polybius.

But for someone like Hannibal, someone we should had a virtual library full of contemporary references and allusions to, the first reference not being for some four to eight decades is perfectly understandable.

And as I previously noted the very earliest mention of the eruption of Vesuvius killing nearly a quarter million people and was not far from Naples, a city, renowned for having a higher than average literacy rate, comes three full decades later in an oft-hand remark by Pliny the Younger. And we have no mention that Herculaneum was also destroyed until Cassius Dio in the third century.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You are assuming that Jesus of Nazareth founded Christianity. This is not the case. Jesus was a Galilean Jew who did not in fact start any new religion but merely sought to play an accepted role in the Judaism of his day.
                            Christ is the reason Christian faith exists HA. On the night of His last Passover feast, he took it and its customary food and created what we practice as Communion. And during His ministry he used Baptism as a foundational sign of repentance, though it was His disciples that Baptized. He was of course Baptized himself by His cousin John. These two things are our only necessary deeds, our only necessary practices, and He instituted them. His teachings as they are recorded in the Gospels and the writings of His disciples form the basis for what every Christian has believed from the time of His ministry on Earth till now.

You are at least partially correct in that Jesus was Jewish by birth, and the longed for Messiah, and he did in fact take on that role. Not only did He take it on, he fulfilled it. Judaism and Christian faith are forever related in that way.

What you are doing here as you did in the previous comment is to take a distinctive of Christian faith and then use it to say something derogatory about Christian faith and practice. I'm not sure what is motivating you to do that, whether it is ignorance or hostility, but the implications you are drawing from these basic and well understand facts about who Jesus was are simply wrong.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-07-2021, 03:46 PM.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Actually, it was called "the Way", and only later were His followers called Christians.
                              Seems I've read somewhere that the term "Christian" was originally intended to be disparaging, but those so called enthusiastically embraced it.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Seems I've read somewhere that the term "Christian" was originally intended to be disparaging, but those so called enthusiastically embraced it.
                                I've often heard that, yes. "You people act just like that Christ we killed....." And, since they were trying to be LIKE Christ...

Comment