Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The cancel culture and its comparable historical antecedents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    What about other punishments in the Old Testament? Are you dismissing those? Or including them?
    Certain Old Testament laws and punishments were prescribed under the Old Covenant which is no longer in effect having been superseded by the New Covenant through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Scripture Verse: Jeremiah 31

Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt...

© Copyright Original Source

Scripture Verse: Romans 7

Now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Wouldn't it be helpful if we had some extraneous corroborative contemporary sources in support of those gospel accounts?
      The gospels corroborate each other being four independent accounts about the ministry and teachings of Jesus.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Wouldn't it be helpful if we had some extraneous corroborative contemporary sources in support of those gospel accounts?

Parables were a form of instructive teaching and were commonly used. However, if indeed Jesus was primarily someone teaching morals it would be expected that he would have shown a preference for imaginative and concise comments as are found in the Sayings of the Fathers in the Mishnah.
        It would be nice if we had a whole bunch of various writings that have been lost to us from that period, but that does not change the fact that we still do have multiple separate accounts now does it? Which is of course far better than what we typically have.

And yes Jesus often taught things brought up previously. An excellent example would be the Golden Rule (Matthew 7:12; cf. Luke 6:31) which Paul also taught (Galatians 5:14). Absolutely nobody has asserted that everything He said was unique and previously unheard of so you can stop constructing that straw man if you don't mind. However, what is undeniable is that Jesus often slightly altered these lessons so as to expand their meaning in ways that do appear to be unique.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That might not reflect well on you though.
          Well, I am a troll magnet. It says so right there under my name.

Comment

It was a joke hence the emoticon. Do lighten up, please.
            Your "humor" quite often falls flat. The fact that you're constantly having to explain "that was a joke" demonstrates that.

However, his "method" was not unique to himself.
            Methods. Plural. And He quite obviously had an incredibly powerful impact on the world and its history.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Your "humor" quite often falls flat. .
              Likewise your humour with me. What do you propose we do about it?

Methods. Plural. And He quite obviously had an incredibly powerful impact on the world and its history.
              Had it not been for Rome removing the legal proscriptions against Christianity in the early fourth century it is highly possible that the various different sects that called themselves Christian would have continued fracturing into ever smaller groups until the religion either died out or was absorbed into other extant belief systems. Constantine is the man you want to thank.

Nor did Jesus himself have "an incredibly powerful impact on the world. It was Paul and his teachings and the later interpretations of those teachings, which through the removal of those legal proscriptions, that did so.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I've already adjusted my posting practices with you.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The gospels corroborate each other being four independent accounts about the ministry and teachings of Jesus.
                  The four gospel writers cannot even agree when the interrogation with Pilate took place [before or after Passover] nor who actually went to the tomb. The two birth narratives also contradict one another by about ten years.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Well, I am a troll magnet. It says so right there under my name.
                    I was thinking more of your fellow believers.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Had it not been for Rome removing the legal proscriptions against Christianity in the early fourth century it is highly possible that the various different sects that called themselves Christian would have continued fracturing into ever smaller groups until the religion either died out or was absorbed into other extant belief systems. Constantine is the man you want to thank.

Nor did Jesus himself have "an incredibly powerful impact on the world. It was Paul and his teachings and the later interpretations of those teachings, which through the removal of those legal proscriptions, that did so.
                      Your feeble attempt to ignore the fact that Jesus had a very powerful impact on the world and its history is noted and dismissed. Christians are still following His teachings 2,000 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        It would be nice if we had a whole bunch of various writings that have been lost to us from that period, but that does not change the fact that we still do have multiple separate accounts now does it? Which is of course far better than what we typically have.
                        You cannot use the texts to verify the texts.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        And yes Jesus often taught things brought up previously. An excellent example would be the Golden Rule (Matthew 7:12; cf. Luke 6:31)
                        That isn't something new and unique to Jesus. Have you heard of Hillel the Elder?

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Your feeble attempt to ignore the fact that Jesus had a very powerful impact on the world and its history is noted and dismissed. Christians are still following His teachings 2,000 years later.
                          I am challenging your struggles with reality. The fact is Jesus the man had very little impact on the world. He lived and died a nonentity.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Certain Old Testament laws and punishments were prescribed under the Old Covenant which is no longer in effect having been superseded by the New Covenant through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
                            Scripture Verse: Jeremiah 31

Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt...

Scripture Verse: Romans 7

Now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

Despite Jesus' remarks about the Law in Matthew 5.17-18? Jesus never tells us he has superseded the Law. That comes from Paul

As to your remark regarding laws and punishments that were prescribed and which no longer have effect I can take it that you never cite Leviticus as justification for condemning male homosexuality.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am challenging your struggles with reality. The fact is Jesus the man had very little impact on the world. He lived and died a nonentity.
                              Van Gogh had very little impact on the art world. He lived and died a nonentity.

Comment

Had it not been for Rome removing the legal proscriptions against Christianity in the early fourth century it is highly possible that the various different sects that called themselves Christian would have continued fracturing into ever smaller groups until the religion either died out or was absorbed into other extant belief systems.
                                As they say If ifs and buts were candy and nuts then every day would be Christmas.

We have no idea how things might have played if things were different. For all we know it could have resulted in a theocracy like that envisioned in The Handmaiden's Tale, which, amusingly, a good number of those on the left actually think we're just inches away from being.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment