Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The cancel culture and its comparable historical antecedents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It scares me that I get that.
    That's because I am "The Proverbial". My superpowers are to be "The proverbial <X>" of whatever I want to be. I go out to a club, I am the proverbial lady's man. I get in a fight, I am the proverbial action star. In this case, I am the proverbial explainer. :)

This is such a wonderful new Title I've been Given.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yeah. If only somebody.

So bored that you resorted to blatant trolling?
    Those gospels were not composed in the region and they are most definitely not extraneous nor contemporary. Do you know the term Aretalogies? These gospels are semi-aretalogies.

As for your other silly remark. I responded to comments made by others. Take your complaint to them.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Oh no, I repeated folklore....:) Based on the fact that only one painting was ever offically sold.
    Clearly not. However, I recommend you inform the museum of your hitherto unknown information. I am sure the curators will be immensely gratified

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    You are assuming that Jesus of Nazareth founded Christianity.
    Actually, it was called "the Way", and only later were His followers called Christians.

This is not the case. Jesus was a Galilean Jew who did not in fact start any new religion but merely sought to play an accepted role in the Judaism of his day.
    Except, of course, that the 'Judaism' of His day totally rejected - not accepted - His 'role' and killed Him for it.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

It's an action figure... Those rarely look like who they are supposed to, so in an odd turn of events. "The proverbial" will not look like "not me", but instead end up magically looking like "Me" Me....and the kids and collectors will all be upset.
    It scares me that I get that.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

As a mere man he was indeed nothing. And yet:

He impacted 12 close disciples and several hundred others who went on to teach and preach in his name and from which the lives of billions for some 2000 years have been affected.
    You are assuming that Jesus of Nazareth founded Christianity. This is not the case. Jesus was a Galilean Jew who did not in fact start any new religion but merely sought to play an accepted role in the Judaism of his day.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

And the Action Figures!!! Will they look like not you? But you can still get royalties?

(And, actually, I'm remembering a TV series simply called "The Immortal" - Maybe the Proverbial can locate the Immortal!

An immortal man whose blood can have miraculous health benefits is a fugitive from those who would exploit both him and his brother he seeks.
    It's an action figure... Those rarely look like who they are supposed to, so in an odd turn of events. "The proverbial" will not look like "not me", but instead end up magically looking like "Me" Me....and the kids and collectors will all be upset.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Hey if "The Proverbial" gets made out of my life, but has no resemblance to my life, can I pick the actor who gets to not resemble me. I really think my wife would like "not me" to be Vin Diesel.
    And the Action Figures!!! Will they look like not you? But you can still get royalties?

(And, actually, I'm remembering a TV series simply called "The Immortal" - Maybe the Proverbial can locate the Immortal!

An immortal man whose blood can have miraculous health benefits is a fugitive from those who would exploit both him and his brother he seeks.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Will somebody turn the book into a movie that has little to no resemblance to the book? That would make it REALLY catchy!
    Hey if "The Proverbial" gets made out of my life, but has no resemblance to my life, can I pick the actor who gets to not resemble me. I really think my wife would like "not me" to be Vin Diesel.

Besides, it can be a whole new franchise. Eventually "The Proverbial 9" will have no resemblance to the first movie, and we might get to go to space!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

He impacted 12 close disciples and several hundred others who went on to teach and preach in his name and from which the lives of billions for some 2000 years have been affected. Cumulatively, this is far more influence than any of his contemporaries you would consider 'notable' based on their immediate fame or power. So I'm not the one that needs to do a little reading on the history of Christianity.

You are taking one of the truly unique and powerful elements of Christian faith and turning it on its head: that a man with no political connections and no propaganda apparatus, a man with no desire for power or fame, a man that spoke for the poor and against the rich and the powerful, that ultimately was hung on a cross on a hill as a criminal - the sort of man that normally would be forever unknown and unwept, became instead one of the most influential figures in all of history. It is in fact evidence of the power Love, Grace, Hope, and Mercy have over all those temporal things we mistakenly give place to in our lives seeking some sort of recognition in this life and beyond - like power, fame, and wealth.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

I have a new title. "The Proverbial". Sounds catchy.
    Will somebody turn the book into a movie that has little to no resemblance to the book? That would make it REALLY catchy!

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied

The man himself had no impact on the world. Read up on the history of your religion.
    As a mere man he was indeed nothing. And yet:

He impacted 12 close disciples and several hundred others who went on to teach and preach in his name and from which the lives of billions for some 2000 years have been affected. Cumulatively, this is far more influence than any of his contemporaries you would consider 'notable' based on their immediate fame or power. So I'm not the one that needs to do a little reading on the history of Christianity.

You are taking one of the truly unique and powerful elements of Christian faith and turning it on its head: that a man with no political connections and no propaganda apparatus, a man with no desire for power or fame, a man that spoke for the poor and against the rich and the powerful, that ultimately was hung on a cross on a hill as a criminal - the sort of man that normally would be forever unknown and unwept, became instead one of the most influential figures in all of history. It is in fact evidence of the power Love, Grace, Hope, and Mercy have over all those temporal things we mistakenly give place to in our lives seeking some sort of recognition in this life and beyond - like power, fame, and wealth.

Source: Isaiah 53: NIV

53 Who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
    2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
    and like a root out of dry ground.
    He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

3He was despised and rejected by mankind,
    a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
    Like one from whom people hide their faces
    he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

4 Surely he took up our pain
    and bore our suffering,
    yet we considered him punished by God,
    stricken by him, and afflicted.

5But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
    the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.
    6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
    each of us has turned to our own way;
    and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
    yet he did not open his mouth;
    he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
    and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
    so he did not open his mouth.
    8 By oppression[a] and judgment he was taken away.
    Yet who of his generation protested?
    For he was cut off from the land of the living;
    for the transgression of my people he was punished.[b]
    9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
    and with the rich in his death,
    though he had done no violence,
    nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
    and though the Lord makes[c] his life an offering for sin,
    he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
    and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
    11 After he has suffered,
    he will see the light of life[d] and be satisfied[e];
    by his knowledge[f] my righteous servant will justify many,
    and he will bear their iniquities.
    12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,[g]
    and he will divide the spoils with the strong,[h]
    because he poured out his life unto death,
    and was numbered with the transgressors.
    For he bore the sin of many,
    and made intercession for the transgressors.

© Copyright Original Source

The reality is HA, nothing you say can take His Glory from him. He did not Earn it by Earthly means, and Nothing any one of us does or says can take it from Him.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-07-2021, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

The proverbial.....
    I have a new title. "The Proverbial". Sounds catchy.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    So Socrates also had no impact on the world according to you.
    The major difference being that she will never have to stand before Socrates to explain her error.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

From the website of the Van Gogh Museum [the Museum is in Amsterdam]

We don’t know exactly how many paintings Van Gogh sold during this lifetime, but in any case, it was more than a couple. Vincent’s first commission was from his uncle Cor. He was an art dealer and wanted to help his nephew on his way, so he ordered 19 cityscapes of The Hague.

Vincent sold his first painting to the Parisian paint and art dealer Julien Tanguy, and his brother Theo successfully sold another work to a gallery in London. The Red Vineyard, which Vincent painted in 1888, was bought by Anna Boch, the sister of Vincent’s friend Eugène Boch.

Van Gogh often traded work with other artists – in his younger years, often in exchange for some food or drawing and painting supplies. In this sense, Vincent actually ‘sold’ quite a lot of work during his lifetime.

You really do need to check your facts. Once again you have made the proverbial of yourself
    Oh no, I repeated folklore....:) Based on the fact that only one painting was ever offically sold.

Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/van-gogh-sold-only-one-painting-4050008

Although lore has it that the post-Impressionist painter, Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890), sold only one painting during his lifetime, different theories exist. The one painting commonly thought to have been sold is The Red Vineyard at Arles (The Vigne Rouge), now located at the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts in Moscow. However, some sources posit that different paintings sold first, and that other paintings and drawings were sold or bartered in addition to The Red Vineyard at Arles. However, it is true that The Red Vineyard at Arles is the only painting soldduring van Gogh's lifetime the name of which we actually know, and that was "officially" recorded and acknowledged by the art world, and hence the lore persists.

Of course, bearing in mind that van Gogh didn't start painting until he was twenty-seven years old, and died when he was thirty-seven, it would not be unremarkable that he did not sell many. Furthermore, the paintings that were to become famous were the ones produced after he went to Arles, France in 1888, only two years before he died. What is remarkable is that just a few decades after his death, his art would become well-known worldwide and that he would eventually become one of the most famous artists ever.

© Copyright Original Source

Leave a comment: