Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas Democrat Resigns after Calling Tim Scott an ‘Oreo’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't think the joke was racist--a joke referencing a race doesn't make it racist. I thought it was mildly amusing.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      I didn't think the joke was racist--a joke referencing a race doesn't make it racist. I thought it was mildly amusing.
      Yeah, that's why I pushed back. We don't need to fall into the trap of crying racism anytime somebody we disagree with mentions race. That happens far too often as is.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

What is racist about that joke? It's not funny in the slightest, but I don't see how it's racist. It doesn't imply anything offensive about any groups.
        To me the issue isn't whether or not it is or isn't racist, but that she considers it racist and still decided to use it. I mean, it someone says they are against racism, and then goes and tells a joke they themselves consider to be racist, it comes across wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

To me the issue isn't whether or not it is or isn't racist, but that she considers it racist and still decided to use it. I mean, it someone says they are against racism, and then goes and tells a joke they themselves consider to be racist, it comes across wrong.
          Again, and nobody can accuse me of be her biggest fan, she said it was racist but had been altered. Now while I doubt that she would ever afford any of us the same courtesy, at least for me it is clear that she means that it was altered so it was no longer racist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Again, and nobody can accuse me of be her biggest fan, she said it was racist but had been altered. Now while I doubt that she would ever afford any of us the same courtesy, at least for me it is clear that she means that it was altered so it was no longer racist.
            While that is definitely possible, I can very easily see how that wouldn't be noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

What is racist about that joke? It's not funny in the slightest, but I don't see how it's racist. It doesn't imply anything offensive about any groups.
              Absolutely totally not necessary, and opens the door to more racism.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                It does assume that only a black president would wear a suit. That's how I read it.
                Note the date I cited [2008]. Prior to that a joke playing to racial stereotypes was turned on its head by simply changing the answer because for the first time in its history, the USA had a black man as its President.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

See my reply to mossrose.

The joke had initially been racist because its original punchline had played to racial stereotypes.

However, by changing that punchline the joke was instead turned on its head and directed against the sort of people who think in such racist stereotypes.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Patrick Meehan
                    Thanks!
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Thats ok. The dems refused to accept his resignation for racial slurs.

My question to you is what is wrong about holding Democrats to the standards they demand of others?
                      You have just seen proof that Starlight lives in Bizzaro world since what he has posted is completely opposite of what is true about American politics, It is the spineless Republicans that apologize even if they did nothing wrong and are pilloried day in and day out by the Democrats and their useful idiots in the MSM, no matter how sincere the apology even if the Republican did nothing wrong at all,. The Democrats on the other hand circle the wagons and refuse to make their compatriots live by the same rules they want to force the Republicans to . Kudos to Gary O'Conner for being the outlier of the Democrats normal MO. The reason this is news is that it is so unlike the Democrats to live by the standards they set for others.

Starlight has proven once again he knows nothing about America her politics, history etc.
                      Last edited by RumTumTugger; 05-05-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

That is an interesting comment. Is humour per se automatically associated with racism or indeed any other offensive attitude?

I've heard Jews tell jokes about the Holocaust. Does that make those Jews anti-Semites?

Trying to decide where humour becomes offensive is incredibly difficult and I suspect comes down to personal taste For myself, humour has to have an element of wit. Scatology, offensive language for its own sake, and racial stereotypes simply as "shock" tactics do not work for me, although I appreciate that the Archie Bunkers or James Watkins [of 8chan fame] of the world might find such humour hilarious.

Some people would argue that nothing should be considered off limits for humour. I am not entirely sure I agree with that but it would depend on the style and quality of the humour, so again it comes down to personal preferences.

Many Christians were highly offended by The Life of Brian, other Christians found it hilarious.

However, sometimes humour and the intent behind it backfires.

The Archie Bunker character of the American sit-com was based on a British character [Alf Garnett] and the British series was written by Johnny Speight. The real irony behind that original British series was that Speight wrote the character of Alf as a parody i.e. an ignorant, working class, jingoistic, and racist bigot. However, unfortunately the satire was too subtle and many instead saw Alf as a man representing, and speaking for, them and their views.

Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 05-05-2021, 01:11 PM.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

That is an interesting comment. Is humour per se automatically associated with racism or indeed any other offensive attitude?

I've heard Jews tell jokes about the Holocaust. Does that make those Jews anti-Semites?
                          Ya know, the fact that you know somebody who did something doesn't make that something right.
                          There are some things that are simply in poor taste, and this may well be related to culture.

Do you think, in the US with our history of a troubled racist past, and the meaning of "Uncle Tom", that it's appropriate in our day for ANYBODY to call a black man "Uncle Tim"?

(Unless, of course, his name is Tim and he's their uncle)

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Archie Bunker character of the American sit-com was based on a British character [Alf Garnett] and the British series was written by Johnny Speight. The real irony behind that original British series was that Speight wrote the character of Alf as a parody i.e. an ignorant, working class, jingoistic, and racist bigot. However, unfortunately the satire was too subtle and many instead saw Alf as a man representing, and speaking for, them and their views.
                            The same thing here as well, largely because you couldn't find a character on TV that wasn't espousing the liberal party line as gospel, so they glommed onto the only one who wasn't. I suspect it was basically the same in Great Britain.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Ya know, the fact that you know somebody who did something doesn't make that something right.
                              Hence my question. Does that make Jews who tell Holocaust jokes anti-Semites?

There are some things that are simply in poor taste, and this may well be related to culture.
                              The notion of poor taste is again subjective. Hence while I consider that humour which depends entirely on the shock of foul language entirely for its own sake, or on scatology, to be in poor taste, not everyone would agree with me.

Do you think, in the US with our history of a troubled racist past, and the meaning of "Uncle Tom", that it's appropriate in our day for ANYBODY to call a black man "Uncle Tim"?

(Unless, of course, his name is Tim and he's their uncle)
                              Re the Twitter trend of "Uncle Tim" I would agree it was extremely inappropriate language with distasteful racial connotations.

However, others would, I suspect argue that such language was merely an exemplar of what is constituted as the right to free speech.

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Re the Twitter trend of "Uncle Tim" I would agree it was extremely inappropriate language with distasteful racial connotations.

However, others would, I suspect argue that such language was merely an exemplar of what is constituted as the right to free speech.
                                Those are not mutually exclusive positions. Free speech can be extremely inappropriate language with distasteful racial connotations.

Comment