Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taliban launches huge Afghan offensive after deadline for U.S. pullout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Of course staying there forever is not an option and IRL the world is not either / or and there are other options -- or were. Much of the problem, as numerous military experts kept noting when everyone kept asking when we were leaving Iraq, is that you simply do not announce a pull out date in advance.
    I don't think it's really something you can keep secret. Our allies in Afghanistan need to know our schedule, and some of them are going to share it with the Taliban.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Continuing Trump's goal, but announcing details publicly.
      Trump knows the hazards of announcing goals publicly. He's probably still kicking himself for saying, "if we have between 100,000 and 200,000 (deaths), we all together have done a very good job.”

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Trump knows the hazards of announcing goals publicly. He's probably still kicking himself for saying, "if we have between 100,000 and 200,000 (deaths), we all together have done a very good job.”
        He wasn't wrong. The initial estimate was in the millions. Keeping deaths way below those estimates was a solid win.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

He wasn't wrong. The initial estimate was in the millions. Keeping deaths way below those estimates was a solid win.
          100,000 to 200,000 would still have been pretty bad. He was setting what he thought was an easy target. He thought he didn't need to do anything, and the virus would just go away by itself.

The initial estimate was assuming that we would do nothing about the pandemic. Less that that just means we did something, even if it wasn't very effective.

Comment

100,000 to 200,000 would still have been pretty bad.
            Indeed. If the Chinese coronavirus only killed one person it would still be bad, especially to the family and friends of the deceased (not to mention the person who died). But when the estimates were that it would be millions who perished the fact that "only" 100,000 to 200,000 in fact died is a success.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Indeed. If the Chinese coronavirus only killed one person it would still be bad, especially to the family and friends of the deceased (not to mention the person who died). But when the estimates were that it would be millions who perished the fact that "only" 100,000 to 200,000 in fact died is a success.
              It's all relative. And I think 100,000 to 200,000 would be pretty bad relative to what good leadership could accomplish.

And of course, 600,000 is a huge failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Continuing Trump's goal, but announcing details publicly.
                Is the house going to pass a resolution that holds Biden's withdrawl to the same standard they held Trump's to?

Comment

It's all relative. And I think 100,000 to 200,000 would be pretty bad relative to what good leadership could accomplish.

Most of those were in Democrat run states, and the Governors are the ones who have the final say on state quarantine practices.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

[*Looks around at what is now going on in places like India, Brazil and elsewhere*]

I guess we can conclude that the world is in extreme deficit of "good leadership"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Most of those were in Democrat run states, and the Governors are the ones who have the final say on state quarantine practices.
                      And the one who the MSM fell all over themselves admiring, who they gave a Emmy to for his daily briefings, turned out to be one of the most incompetent or deliberately neglectful one out there. Compare that to Florida's governor who was routinely mocked and vilified.

Now guess which of those states did far better than the other one.

Comment

[*Looks around at what is now going on in places like India, Brazil and elsewhere*]

I guess we can conclude that the world is in extreme deficit of "good leadership"
                        True.

Comment

No, the ones who have the final say are individuals, many of whom were following Trump's example, even in blue states.

Comment

But, but, but... it was TRUMP... it HAD to be bad!!!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, the ones who have the final say are individuals, many of whom were following Trump's example, even in blue states.
                              There is zero evidence linking COVID deaths to support for Trump.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The group that has the highest percentage of those who refuse to take a vaccine are the same ones who consistently vote Democrat nearly 90% of the time

Comment