Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taliban launches huge Afghan offensive after deadline for U.S. pullout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taliban launches huge Afghan offensive after deadline for U.S. pullout

Taliban launches huge Afghan offensive after deadline for U.S. pullout (msn.com)

LASHKAR GAH (Reuters) - Afghan security forces fought back a huge Taliban offensive in southern Helmand province in the last 24 hours, officials and residents said on Tuesday, as militants launched assaults around the country following a missed U.S. deadline to withdraw troops.

Although the United States did not meet the May 1 withdrawal deadline agreed in talks with the Taliban last year, its pull-out has begun, with President Joe Biden announcing all troops will out by Sept. 11. Critics of the decision to withdraw say the militants will try to sweep back into power.

"There was a thunderstorm of heavy weapons and blasts in the city and the sound of small arms was like someone was making popcorn," Mulah Jan, a resident of a suburb of provincial capital Lashkar Gah, told Reuters.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

I'm shocked!

And stunned.

Shocked... and stunned.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Say what you will about Richard Nixon, the man got us out of Vietnam (ugly and painful as it was). The Taliban is taking a page from the Vietcong playbook, to keep up harassment throughout.

Regardless of arguments about whether or not we should have gone into Afghanistan (I think it was probably necessary), we should have left as soon as Osama bin Laden was terminated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        Say what you will about Richard Nixon, the man got us out of Vietnam (ugly and painful as it was). The Taliban is taking a page from the Vietcong playbook, to keep up harassment throughout.

Regardless of arguments about whether or not we should have gone into Afghanistan (I think it was probably necessary), we should have left as soon as Osama bin Laden was terminated.
        As much as I hate to say it, "winning the hearts and minds of the people" was the impossible dream.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Taliban launches huge Afghan offensive after deadline for U.S. pullout (msn.com)

LASHKAR GAH (Reuters) - Afghan security forces fought back a huge Taliban offensive in southern Helmand province in the last 24 hours, officials and residents said on Tuesday, as militants launched assaults around the country following a missed U.S. deadline to withdraw troops.

Although the United States did not meet the May 1 withdrawal deadline agreed in talks with the Taliban last year, its pull-out has begun, with President Joe Biden announcing all troops will out by Sept. 11. Critics of the decision to withdraw say the militants will try to sweep back into power.

"There was a thunderstorm of heavy weapons and blasts in the city and the sound of small arms was like someone was making popcorn," Mulah Jan, a resident of a suburb of provincial capital Lashkar Gah, told Reuters.
          Even Hillary has been issuing warnings about "huge consequences" resulting from old Joe's plans to withdraw.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Even Hillary has been issuing warnings about "huge consequences" resulting from old Joe's plans to withdraw.
            I thought she was dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I thought she was dead.
              p186019-b-v8-ag.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I thought she was dead.
                For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

It has been a weekend at Bernie's situation for a long time!

Comment

There will be "huge consequences" but I don't think staying there forever was an option, and there would be "huge consequences" whenever we decided to withdraw. I think it's to Joe's credit that he's willing to face those consequences, rather than kick the can down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

There will be "huge consequences" but I don't think staying there forever was an option, and there would be "huge consequences" whenever we decided to withdraw. I think it's to Joe's credit that he's willing to face those consequences, rather than kick the can down the road.
                    Of course staying there forever is not an option and IRL the world is not either / or and there are other options -- or were. Much of the problem, as numerous military experts kept noting when everyone kept asking when we were leaving Iraq, is that you simply do not announce a pull out date in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Continuing Trump's goal, but announcing details publicly.

Comment

Of course staying there forever is not an option and IRL the world is not either / or and there are other options -- or were. Much of the problem, as numerous military experts kept noting when everyone kept asking when we were leaving Iraq, is that you simply do not announce a pull out date in advance.
                        One problem when listening to "military experts" is that the majority of them would like us to stay. They always claim that leaving prematurely will create a void and that baddies will fill it in, and any departure date is too soon. I can understand that; their jobs center around occupation and conflict, not on evacuation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

One problem when listening to "military experts" is that the majority of them would like us to stay. They always claim that leaving prematurely will create a void and that baddies will fill it in, and any departure date is too soon. I can understand that; their jobs center around occupation and conflict, not on evacuation.
                          On the other hand, many "military experts" are older more mature guys who have seen what war does, and very much would like us to stay out of conflicts - and exercise other options than military.

Comment

On the other hand, many "military experts" are older more mature guys who have seen what war does, and very much would like us to stay out of conflicts - and exercise other options than military.
                            Name one currently serving and has any influence on Pentagon decisions.

Comment

It's really a "damned if we do, and damned if we don't" scenario. What are the options: enforce an uneasy "peace" with continued US military presence, or stand down and let the area reach its own equilibrium? I don't know which is better.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment