Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

'Unacceptable and unconscionable': Democrats slam Biden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Unacceptable and unconscionable': Democrats slam Biden

'Unacceptable and unconscionable': Democrats slam Biden for initial decision not to raise refugee cap

(CNN)Prominent Democratic lawmakers and top progressives expressed outrage and disappointment on Friday in response to news that President Joe Biden would sign an emergency determination keeping the Trump-era refugee cap of 15,000 -- a significant reversal from his administration's proposal earlier this year to lift the cap to 62,500.

But not long after a flood of criticism from high-profile congressional Democrats, the White House backtracked, saying that Biden will set a new, increased refugee cap next month.

Prior to that news, Senate Judiciary Chairman Dick Durbin, the No. 2 Senate Democrat, slammed the Biden administration's refugee admissions decision as "unacceptable.""These refugees can wait years for their chance and go through extensive vetting," the Illinois Democrat said in a statement. "Thirty-five thousand are ready. Facing the greatest refugee crisis in our time there is no reason to limit the number to 15,000. Say it ain't so, President Joe."

New York Rep. Jerry Nadler, chairman of the powerful House Judiciary Committee, said he was "deeply disappointed" by the initial decision."@HouseJudiciary supported much more humane levels of admission—this comes up far short," the New York Democrat tweeted.

"We restore our leadership by protecting people fleeing persecution, not by moving backwards," he added.There had been especially swift backlash to the initial news from progressives, pointing to major tension between the administration and the left over the issue -- and an effort by the liberal bloc to put pressure on the President in an attempt to push him in their direction.

Rep. Pramila Jayapal, chairwoman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, said in a statement, "It is simply unacceptable and unconscionable that the Biden administration is not immediately repealing Donald Trump's harmful, xenophobic, and racist refugee cap that cruelly restricts refugee admissions to a historically low level."

The Washington state Democrat went on to say, "By failing to sign an Emergency Presidential Determination to lift Trump's historically low refugee cap, President Biden has broken his promise to restore our humanity."

New York Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, one of the most high-profile progressives in Congress, similarly invoked the idea of a broken promise, saying in a tweet, "Biden promised to welcome immigrants, and people voted for him based on that promise. Upholding the xenophobic and racist policies of the Trump admin, incl the historically low + plummeted refugee cap, is flat out wrong. Keep your promise."

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

When they're pouring through the border like water through a sieve then any "cap" is mostly symbolic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

More C19! Because importing more disease makes masks actually work!

I forget, do we wear our tinfoil hats over the triple masks or over our eyes? So hard to be politically correct these days ...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I saw on Bing that His Fraudulency, President Origami has already folded. Evidently he raised the cap all the way to 62K.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          I saw on Bing that His Fraudulency, President Origami has already folded. Evidently he raised the cap all the way to 62K.
          This is what happens when old Joe speaks out on his own wandering off script. He says something that forces his keepers to threaten to take away his nightly pudding cup until he goes out and "fixes" it. It's like there are times that old Joe actually thinks he's in charge or something.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment