Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hilary dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Yeah, the pattern would stand out more since you're not processing the color information. The best comparison I can make it changing the graphical settings in a video games so you can see things more clearly. In fact some tournament players will intentionally turn the graphics settings down to the lowest possible for two reasons.

1. Things stand out more.
    2. You get higher frames per second, which means they see things happen before those who have lower frames per second.
    Interesting.

Remember those big paintings (or prints) you used to see at the mall, where you had to stand and stare at them for a long time before you saw the shark, or elephant, or whatever?

I often wondered why other people had such a difficult time seeing the image.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Interesting.

Remember those big paintings (or prints) you used to see at the mall, where you had to stand and stare at them for a long time before you saw the shark, or elephant, or whatever?

It didn't take long for me to see them, but I had to "unfocus" my eyes and let the refocus at a slower rate than normal to see them.

Comment

It didn't take long for me to see them, but I had to "unfocus" my eyes and let the refocus at a slower rate than normal to see them.
        If I remember, somehow I just naturally looked "cross-eyed" at them, and they came quickly into focus.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

If true, they certainly push the edge of what can be excused. But perhaps best to focus on the persistent use of the story than be so critical of the fact such a story was ever told? The is no acknowledgement in this thread, or the warren threads for that matter, of the fact the stories likely have innocent origin but only become an issue when they are repeatedly told after having been corrected.

With Warren, it was fairly clear she absolutely believed the stories about her heritage until the DNA tests explicitly showed they were likely exaggerated over time (she does have Indian ancestry). I don't fault her on that account. DNA tests did not exist when she went to college, and I don't have any idea what evidence was required to prove what she had been told was true, but I do know that tribes have become increasingly skeptical of claims to indian heritage, requiring birth records and a minimum percentage inheritance (usually 1/16 - a full blooded great grandparent), specifically because of instance like Warren's where people were told they had Indian ancestry by parents and relatives and they believed and acted on it.

With Hil(l)ary, it's such a trivial thing I find it hard to get worked up over it, but as for concern over her persisting in telling the story - that would depend a bit on whether her mom told her that regardless of what people were saying, she named her after the mountaineer. Like has been said, it is possible her mom was aware of him before 1953. So if your mom says she did, and it was possible, would you toss it in her face and say she was lying?

This is the sort of thing I don't find indicative of poor character. Family stories are family stories. They tend to get changed over time, usually exaggerated in some positive way. We usually don't look too closely at them. Public figures - as we can see here - do need to be a bit careful about sharing them without checking them out - not because it's a big deal, but because their opponents will make it a big deal.
          Fine. She absolutely believed the family stories. Even after the New England Historic Genealogical Society looked into it and could find no evidence to support her claim.

But considering that she also plagiarized recipes she submitted for Pow Wow Chow: A Collection of Recipes from Families of the Five Civilized Tribes while declaring that they were authentic Native American cuisine family recipes, it seems that she was more than naïve.

Likewise fabricating the story about how her parents were forced to elope because her mother was part Native American. And repeatedly claiming that she only started saying she was Native American while she was at Harvard.

ETA: As for Hillary, it's the continuing with the claim after acknowledging it wasn't true. Not as bad as some of the stuff old Joe keeps claiming even after having admitted wasn't true, but still.

Honestly, I think you're surprised just how common it is for even prominent politicians to brazenly embellish their past -- and continue doing so long after admitting what they said wasn't true. One guy didn't start it in 2020 and was a rank amateur compared to some.
          Last edited by rogue06; 05-05-2021, 11:13 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Fine. She absolutely believed the family stories. Even after the New England Historic Genealogical Society looked into it and could find no evidence to support her claim.

But considering that she also plagiarized recipes she submitted for Pow Wow Chow: A Collection of Recipes from Families of the Five Civilized Tribes while declaring that they were authentic Native American cuisine family recipes, it seems that she was more than naïve.

Likewise fabricating the story about how her parents were forced to elope because her mother was part Native American. And repeatedly claiming that she only started saying she was Native American while she was at Harvard.
            Well, other than that (and other examples), she was a very virtuous truth-teller!

Comment

If I remember, somehow I just naturally looked "cross-eyed" at them, and they came quickly into focus.
              Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean by "unfocusing". It took about one second of letting them come back to normal to get the image. I do remember coming across people who couldn't see them no matter how long they looked at them. It usually took me at most around 3-4 seconds to see them. That is a bit on the longer end too.

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean by "unfocusing". It took about one second of letting them come back to normal to get the image. I do remember coming across people who couldn't see them no matter how long they looked at them. It usually took me at most around 3-4 seconds to see them. That is a bit on the longer end too.
                Yeah, I found it futile to walk up to the picture and point out "here's his tail, here's his head...."

Easier to say "stand right here, cross your eyes, then slowly let them "uncross" while staring at the middle of the picture". Suddenly, there's be the "OH WOW!!!!"

Comment

Yeah, I found it futile to walk up to the picture and point out "here's his tail, here's his head...."

Easier to say "stand right here, cross your eyes, then slowly let them "uncross" while staring at the middle of the picture". Suddenly, there's be the "OH WOW!!!!"
                  Even that explanation didn't always work for some people. Makes me wonder if they listened to the instructions.

Comment

Well, other than that (and other examples), she was a very virtuous truth-teller!
                    "Unless you count all the times he sold dope disguised as a nun"

Sorry. I was channeling Hanover Fiste (character in the movie Heavy Metal)

But I could add a number of other examples (she's an ambitious politician after all), but they weren't necessarily pertinent to her claim that she's Native American.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Interesting.

I'm one of them. They used to include one in the Sunday comics in the paper here as well. Never worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

There are several of these on Youtube now. This particular person who colorizes tends to have some "bleeding" (as you noted) where people and objects suddenly have a rust color. There are others with better results. I like the way they are slowed down to normal speed, stabilized, and cleaned up of defects. In fact, there is one film from 1903(?) where someone investigated and found out who was in the street-scene film by researching the license plate on a car.

This one is supposed to be the inspiration for the Marilyn Monroe photo. Eh, I don't know about that.

ETA
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyL6wWOHxUM
                        The car where the people were identified. From 1911
                        These give a fascinating glimpse into "big city" life from over a century ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I mentioned elsewhere that my brother floored me a few weeks ago by saying he believes global billionaires - in cahoots with the US government - are kidnapping children and torturing and killing them. Because they are so filthy rich that they need to find new experiences. When I told him that his theory goes against human nature, he said I was simply "projecting." Huh?

I think my bro is beginning to deteriorate, and it pains me.
                          From reading your posts I have every confidence that you have a good chance of making your brother see reason. Spiritually and intellectually.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post

From reading your posts I have every confidence that you have a good chance of making your brother see reason. Spiritually and intellectually.
                            I still don't see where to draw the line of reason in light of all the pedophile rings involving the wealthy and government institutions that no one would have ever expected had it not been exposed (I'm guessing folks are just ignorant about these incidents?). I've argued that his brother claiming billionaires are "torturing and killing children" for fun is hyperbolic, but how can we really know this isn't actually happening in the world? Read about what the Catholic church did to children, and this is supposedly a church institution. Where do you draw the line between reason and something that isn't reasonable in this regard?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I still don't see where to draw the line of reason in light of all the pedophile rings involving the wealthy and government institutions that no one would have ever expected had it not been exposed (I'm guessing folks are just ignorant about these incidents?). I've argued that his brother claiming billionaires are "torturing and killing children" for fun is hyperbolic, but how can we really know this isn't actually happening in the world? Read about what the Catholic church did to children, and this is supposedly a church institution. Where do you draw the line between reason and something that isn't reasonable in this regard?
                              My only point is that my brother needs to base his speculations on evidence, and not on "truthiness". When I was a fund developer for a food bank, I saw that many charities were begun by billionaires. Perhaps they are just tax shelters for them, I don't know, but the evidence is that billionaires do care about other people to some degree. The evidence isn't that they wring their hands in shadowy corners, plotting to steal and murder children. That theory really sounds like it was started by someone envious of wealthy people.

Comment

I've always had an easy time with those, and I assume it's because of my strabismus. It was corrected surgically, but I still have to make a conscious effort to focus my eyes together. If I just relax, they drift apart and I see double, even when looking at something far away.

OTOH, if I intentionally cross my eyes, like I'm trying to look at something closer, the pictures end up being inverted, with the parts that are supposed to be farther away appearing closer, and vice versa. So a whale looks like a whale-shaped hole, for example.

Comment