Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and QAnon gang remain the most influential power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

An equally valid interpretation of that poll is that it shows the Democrats know more about what is going on in US politics than Republicans do.
    Not really. Younger folks are more likely to lean left, and are more likely to be tech savvier than the right, and thus know the ins and outs of internet chat rooms and message boards where Q is mostly discussed.

Comment

An equally valid interpretation of that poll is that it shows the Democrats know more about what is going on in US politics than Republicans do.
      I would say the most likely is that Democrats are using Qanon as a wicker man villain, similar to Emmanuel Goldstein.

Comment

• Content:

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The fact is, you linked to an article that clearly misrepresented a study for an ideological purpose ...
        (1)The fact is I was putting up headlines and the Time article doesn't link to the actual poll
        (2)The fact is that the title was accurate. Only about 50% were polled with the question, and 25% of those republicans polled with the question held favorable views.
        (3)The fact is they use the same metric to say 7% of democrats view QAnon favorably
        (4)The fact is I agree that the statement while accurate is also misleading, but again, I had not pursued the actual poll content so I had no awareness of the fact it was potentially misleading when I posted the link.

False accusations/Ad hominem:

Originally posted by seanD
        The fact is, Ox, you help propagate a lie, and were happy to do it. I may have adamant sentiments against BLM and leftist marxism, but I wouldn't partake in lies and deception to admonish it.
        Pure ad hominem with no basis in fact. I was not aware of the way the poll was structured - I linked to the time article about the poll which isn't linked to by the article (hence why you posted the wrong link to a poll in your reply). I didn't pursue access to the actual poll.

But for the record, I do not willingly partake in lies nor do I use what I know to be lies to further my views. However. I have been known to make mistakes - as have you (see above).
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Content:

(1)The fact is I was putting up headlines and the Time article doesn't link to the actual poll
          (2)The fact is that the title was accurate. Only about 50% were polled with the question, and 25% of those republicans polled with the question held favorable views.
          (3)The fact is they use the same metric to say 7% of democrats view QAnon favorably
          (4)The fact is I agree that the statement while accurate is also misleading, but again, I had not pursued the actual poll content so I had no awareness of the fact it was potentially misleading when I posted the link.

False accusations/Ad hominem:

Pure ad hominem with no basis in fact. I was not aware of the way the poll was structured - I linked to the time article about the poll which isn't linked to by the article (hence why you posted the wrong link to a poll in your reply). I didn't pursue access to the actual poll.

But for the record, I do not willingly partake in lies nor do I use what I know to be lies to further my views. However. I have been known to make mistakes - as have you (see above).
          Yeah, we covered that.

Comment

Agreed 100%

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I would say the most likely is that Democrats are using Qanon as a wicker man villain, similar to Emmanuel Goldstein.
              I would say you are too quick to try to minimize the problem. Taylor Greene is a problem. The fact so many republicans are buying into fiction over truth (e.g. the Election 'Big Lie') is a major problem. That even 12% of a random sampling of ANY group could have favorable views of something like QAnon is a problem. But it goes more to the terrible impact on our nation of fealty to Trump and supporting him over truth.

It is a difficult day we live in - there is a lot on the Democrat side I disagree with. But given the choice is between some connection to truth and honor vs total fantasy and a complete abdication of integrity and principle, I have no other practical choice.

I will NOT be making any pilgrimages to Mar-A-Largo.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-06-2021, 03:24 PM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I would say you are too quick to try to minimize the problem. Taylor Greene is a problem. The fact so many republicans are buying into truth over fiction (e.g. the Election 'Big Lie') is a major problem. That even 12% of a random sampling of ANY group could have favorable views of something like QAnon is a problem. But it goes more to the terrible impact on our nation of fealty to Trump and supporting him over truth.

It is a difficult day we live in - there is a lot on the Democrat side I disagree with. But given the choice is between some connection to truth and honor vs total fantasy and a complete abdication of integrity and principle, I have no real choice.
                There you go again, even after we had just covered all this. This is what I mean. Is that confirmation bias or are willingly being deceptive about the study?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

There you go again, even after we had just covered all this. This is what I mean. Is that confirmation bias or are willingly being deceptive about the study?
                  What bias are you referring to seanD? After accounting for the fact the question was only asked of approximately 50% of those republicans polled, the result is still that about
                  12% of the Republicans polled held a favorable view QAnon.

Your stretch that somehow the response was interpreted to as " people(that I know) supporting QAnon" instead of people(generic) that support QAnon" is way over the top. That is not how that question would typically be interpreted.
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-06-2021, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It also shows that democrats are more interested in QAnon than republicans are.
                    Polls cited that by far most Democrats reject QAnon, only 4 % Democrats polled say there is very little truth to QAnon claims. The polls and the support of Trump show wide spread support for QAnon. Claiming they have no knowledge has little meaning except Democrates likely tend to be more knowledgeable. Not being knowledgeable about a dangerous organization is not complementary of Republicans.
                    Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-06-2021, 04:11 PM.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

What bias are you referring to seanD? After accounting for the fact the question was only asked of approximately 50% of those republicans polled, the result is still that about
                      12% of the Republicans polled held a favorable view QAnon.

Your stretch that somehow the response was interpreted to as " people(that I know) supporting QAnon" instead of people(generic) that support QAnon" is way over the top. That is not how that question would typically be interpreted.
                      If someone asked me my view about Qanon supporters and an image of Marjorie Taylor Greene pops into my head, of whom I admire because she's an outspoken critic against BLM and all the intersectional cult leftism, even though I don't share her views about Qanon, how am I supposed to answer that question? See the flaw there?

I linked to a poll that showed just 2% support for Qanon among all voters, and the question in that poll was directly related to Q.

It's a simple question: What are your views about Qanon? But for some reason they didn't ask it that way, and so that leaves it open to misinterpretation and misrepresentation about Q like you just did.

Comment

If someone asked me my view about Qanon supporters and an image of Marjorie Taylor Greene pops into my head, of whom I admire because she's an outspoken critic against BLM and all the intersectional cult leftism, even though I don't share her views about Qanon, how am I supposed to answer that question? See the flaw there?

I linked to a poll that showed just 2% support for Qanon among all voters, and the question in that poll was directly related to Q.

It's a simple question: What are your views about Qanon? But for some reason they didn't ask it that way, and so that leaves it open to misinterpretation and misrepresentation about Q like you just did.
                        The wide spread support among Republicans for candidates and elected officials that support QAnon answers your question.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I doubt seriously there is any significant inaccuracy in the poll ... unless there are a lot of Republicans that can accept and have a positive opinion towards Qanon supporters ... which in the end basically still makes it accurate.

QAnon just is not something that a completely sane person with good judgement can sign on to. Being able to 'look beyond it' wrt positions of leadership and governance is itself - I believe - a flaw in judgement.
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-06-2021, 11:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

The wide spread support among Republicans for candidates and elected officials that support QAnon answers your question.
                            1) Ms Greene is literally the ONLY politician I know of that does or did support QAnon, and only because she has been loudly targeted because of it.

2) I hold in disdain any believer who makes QAnon a shibboleth to the point that he or she would view a typical Democrat as an acceptable voting choice.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

1) Ms Greene is literally the ONLY politician I know of that does or did support QAnon, and only because she has been loudly targeted because of it.
                              As she should be, but its more than just QAnon. She also said Sandy hook and Parkland were staged, publicly assailed and chased down a Parkland survivor, and supported 911 conspiracies. Now when she was stripped of her committee positions she said she 'no longer believed those things' but to have ever been on board with all of that just kinda disqualifies her completely in my mind. They need to recall and replace.

2) I hold in disdain any believer who makes QAnon a shibboleth to the point that he or she would view a typical Democrat as an acceptable voting choice.
                              Is that primarily driven by the abortion issue?

Comment

I doubt seriously there is any significant inaccuracy in the poll ... unless there are a lot of Republicans that can accept and have a positive opinion towards Qanon supporters ... which in the end basically still makes it accurate.

QAnon just is not something that a completely sane person with good judgement can sign on to. Being able to 'look beyond it' wrt positions of leadership and governance is itself - I believe - a flaw in judgement.
                                You're as dishonest as they come, Ox. Take that as you will.

Comment