Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and QAnon gang remain the most influential power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    But for the record, I do not willingly partake in lies nor do I use what I know to be lies to further my views. However. I have been known to make mistakes - as have you (see above).
    Agreed 100%

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Content:

(1)The fact is I was putting up headlines and the Time article doesn't link to the actual poll
    (2)The fact is that the title was accurate. Only about 50% were polled with the question, and 25% of those republicans polled with the question held favorable views.
    (3)The fact is they use the same metric to say 7% of democrats view QAnon favorably
    (4)The fact is I agree that the statement while accurate is also misleading, but again, I had not pursued the actual poll content so I had no awareness of the fact it was potentially misleading when I posted the link.

False accusations/Ad hominem:

Pure ad hominem with no basis in fact. I was not aware of the way the poll was structured - I linked to the time article about the poll which isn't linked to by the article (hence why you posted the wrong link to a poll in your reply). I didn't pursue access to the actual poll.

But for the record, I do not willingly partake in lies nor do I use what I know to be lies to further my views. However. I have been known to make mistakes - as have you (see above).
    Yeah, we covered that.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Content:

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The fact is, you linked to an article that clearly misrepresented a study for an ideological purpose ...
    (1)The fact is I was putting up headlines and the Time article doesn't link to the actual poll
    (2)The fact is that the title was accurate. Only about 50% were polled with the question, and 25% of those republicans polled with the question held favorable views.
    (3)The fact is they use the same metric to say 7% of democrats view QAnon favorably
    (4)The fact is I agree that the statement while accurate is also misleading, but again, I had not pursued the actual poll content so I had no awareness of the fact it was potentially misleading when I posted the link.

False accusations/Ad hominem:

Originally posted by seanD
    The fact is, Ox, you help propagate a lie, and were happy to do it. I may have adamant sentiments against BLM and leftist marxism, but I wouldn't partake in lies and deception to admonish it.
    Pure ad hominem with no basis in fact. I was not aware of the way the poll was structured - I linked to the time article about the poll which isn't linked to by the article (hence why you posted the wrong link to a poll in your reply). I didn't pursue access to the actual poll.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

An equally valid interpretation of that poll is that it shows the Democrats know more about what is going on in US politics than Republicans do.
    I would say the most likely is that Democrats are using Qanon as a wicker man villain, similar to Emmanuel Goldstein.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

An equally valid interpretation of that poll is that it shows the Democrats know more about what is going on in US politics than Republicans do.
    Not really. Younger folks are more likely to lean left, and are more likely to be tech savvier than the right, and thus know the ins and outs of internet chat rooms and message boards where Q is mostly discussed.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

It's cool. Fair enough.

But it's still a deceptive poll in multiple ways. I'm of the belief you never would have linked to that study if hadn't supported your view that Q belief is endemic among Trump supporters. That was obviously your objective after all, and that's a deception.
    At the very least, confirmation bias.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

I suppose I could also then say you helped propagate a lie and were happy to do so. I mean if the possibility of a mistake is off the table, you are no less guilty than I.
    It's cool. Fair enough.

But it's still a deceptive poll in multiple ways. I'm of the belief you never would have linked to that study if hadn't supported your view that Q belief is endemic among Trump supporters. That was obviously your objective after all, and that's a deception.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Or Democrats are more gullible and/or dishonest -- like continuing to believe in and promote The Great Bludgeoning Lie long after it was proven false.

It's possible to "know stuff that's going on" when that "stuff" is an outright lie.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied

You are correct. My bad.

Although the question is still wonky. It isn't clear if they hold favorable views about Q or its supporters. To me, that seems like a huge difference. You can hold favorable views about folks in your party just not agree with their views. So, I got the wrong poll, but it;s still as deceptive as I suspected.
    I suppose I could also then say you helped propagate a lie and were happy to do so. I mean if the possibility of a mistake is off the table, you are no less guilty than I.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It also shows that democrats are more interested in QAnon than republicans are.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Isn't that often the case? The left is constantly bringing up things that I, as a conservative, supposedly believe, when many times, I never even HEARD of whatever it is. I wouldn't even know what it was if they weren't posting about it.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

You are correct. My bad.

Although the question is still wonky. It isn't clear if they hold favorable views about Q or its supporters. To me, that seems like a huge difference. You can hold favorable views about folks in your party just not agree with their views. So, I got the wrong poll, but it;s still as deceptive as I suspected.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

Looks like you got the wrong poll:
    Try this report:
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...ery-important/

There is a very misleading thing in there though.

24% of GOP DID hold a somewhat or very favorable view of QAnon supporters. BUT, that question was only asked if they knew "alot", "Some" or "not much" about QAnon. Which was roughly half of republicans. So, in other words, about 12% of republicans had a favorable opinion of them.

You are correct. My bad.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

I looked for the Pew Research poll Newsweek cites and, as I suspected, the article title is deceptive. I've seen that type of deception before in related Qanon polls where they don't actually mention Q specifically. If this is the poll Newsweek is citing (interesting they don't provide a direct link), the poll is not based on Reps holding "favorable" views about Q, but whether or not they've heard of Q. According to other polls, actual Qanon support has plummeted since January.
    Looks like you got the wrong poll:
    Try this report:
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...ery-important/

There is a very misleading thing in there though.

24% of GOP DID hold a somewhat or very favorable view of QAnon supporters. BUT, that question was only asked if they knew "alot", "Some" or "not much" about QAnon. Which was roughly half of republicans. So, in other words, about 12% of republicans had a favorable opinion of them.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

Let's hope that is correct (that QAnon support has dropped). Given they 'prophesied' trump would be back as president again a few times this year, you'd hope people would wise up.

That doesn't change the fact we have two QAnon followers (former?) in DC in congress. And they are STAUNCH Trump supporters (and purveyors of all sorts of odd and unfounded conspiracy theories). Nor does it change the fact the GOP has become a cult of personality centered on Trump.
    And we have quite a few more BlueAnon followers i congress...

Leave a comment: