Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Not so hidden racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

As I said, its not that you have to condemn everything. It's just funny watching the patterns emerge about what does and does not get condemned.

It's like watching what sort of political violence news does and does not focus on.
    The problem here has more to with denying that I could be averse to entering a thread that began at as extreme a point of cynicism as this one did. You are ascribing cause based on false assumptions regarding why I would choose to avoid this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Here -- lemme try.

Anybody calling a black man an "Uncle Tim" is clearly a racist, period.

How'd I do?
    Er, we might want to make an exception for nieces and nephews, if any.

Otherwise,

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

As I said, its not that you have to condemn everything. It's just funny watching the patterns emerge about what does and does not get condemned.

It's like watching what sort of political violence news does and does not focus on.
    Indeed, the pattern is quite interesting. If one were unbiased (or if one actually genuinely cared about racism for that matter) one would expect that the condemnation of racism would at least somewhat seem to be across the spectrum of racism of all sorts. But it sure don't look it.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Doesn't seem that hard to condemn racist attacks against a black man.
    Here -- lemme try.

Anybody calling a black man an "Uncle Tim" is clearly a racist, period.

How'd I do?

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Yes, and perhaps you didn't notice that there were false accusations that is all I care about. And so now I am being accused of not caring enough.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied

Not a kafka trap at all. I just said it was interesting to see when suddenly the silence comes in, when not long ago you were starting entire threads to talk about racism.
    Yes, and perhaps you didn't notice that there were false accusations that racism is all I care about. And so now, picking to bow out of a thread where my participation would be even less welcome, I am being accused of not caring enough.

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-02-2021, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

So Kafka trap then, since I already said my reason for not being in this thread is related to not wanting to be chum at a feeding frenzy, and I said I thought the comments about uncle tim were bad, but I'm not sure they can be properly called racism.

And I didn't decide that to condemn this was virtue signaling. I asked if this sort of implication I'm somehow not consistent because I didn't come rushing in to condemn these comments is what motivates virtue signaling.
    Not a kafka trap at all. I just said it was interesting to see when suddenly the silence comes in, when not long ago you were starting entire threads to talk about racism.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied

I would say that overall, what's interesting is when the pattern changes from screaming "racism is bad" from the mountaintop, to suddenly crickets or that speaking out is just "virtue signaling".

Or, to put it another way. Nobody says you have to condemn all acts of racism, but it is interesting to see which ones you decide are just virtue signaling.
    So Kafka trap then, since I already said my reason for not being in this thread is related to not wanting to be chum at a feeding frenzy, and I said I thought the comments about uncle tim were bad, but I'm not sure they can be properly called racism.

And I didn't decide that to condemn this was virtue signaling. I asked if this sort of implication I'm somehow not consistent because I didn't come rushing in to condemn these comments is what motivates virtue signaling.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

I have no problem condemning attacks against a black man. I'm not sure insults from a black person to a black person can be properly called 'racism', but referencing a person as 'uncle Tim/tom' has never been nor is it now a useful or appropriate thing to say.

I am wondering about the old virtue signaling thing though. Sounds like I'm getting ready to be hauled up on charges of hypocrisy or some such if I don't run in here and condemn this. But isn't that just sorta demanding I say the thing you want to hear - and isn't that what the whole virtue signaling thing is all about?

Or maybe its a Kafka Trap and I'm condemned no matter what I say?
    I would say that overall, what's interesting is when the pattern changes from screaming "racism is bad" from the mountaintop, to suddenly crickets or that speaking out is just "virtue signaling".

Or, to put it another way. Nobody says you have to condemn all acts of racism, but it is interesting to see which ones you decide are just virtue signaling.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied

I have no problem condemning attacks against a black man. I'm not sure insults from a black person to a black person can be properly called 'racism', but referencing a person as 'uncle Tim/tom' has never been nor is it now a useful or appropriate thing to say.

I am wondering about the old virtue signaling thing though. Sounds like I'm getting ready to be hauled up on charges of hypocrisy or some such if I don't run in here and condemn this. But isn't that just sorta demanding I say the thing you want to hear - and isn't that what the whole virtue signaling thing is all about?

Or maybe its a Kafka Trap and I'm condemned no matter what I say?
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-02-2021, 04:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

I do care a lot about racism, but I don't care much for being chum in a feeding frenzy.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied

Any comment on th thread topic? You obviously care alot about racism.
    I do care a lot about racism, but I don't care much for being chum in a feeding frenzy.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

... and how often a person uses them tells how great is their need is to feel 'greater'.
    Any comment on th thread topic? You obviously care alot about racism.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied

It's funny. I've often said that what you use as insults tells people what you see as "lesser".
    ... and how often a person uses them tells how great is their need is to feel 'greater'.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    So you didn't actually have a point. Got it.
    Like...... read the bloody OP??? And look at pretty much anything that comes out of Joe Biden's mouth....... Or Hillary's......
    She should first specify if she wants the stuff said over the years by old Joe listed categorically, chronologically or by order of severity.

Leave a comment: