Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Not so hidden racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There's nothing vague here at all. Rather, you are being explicitly called out for something you have actually done, or in this case not done, which is your inexplicable refusal to openly condemn the racist attacks by your fellow liberals against a black Republican. I honestly have no idea why you think this is somehow a kafkatrap, or why you suddenly find condemning racism to be distasteful.

Yeah - the games you play.

1) I've condemned it
    2) I've said I didn't want to participate in this thread because it is a 'damned if you do/damned if you don't situation'*, another name for a 'kafkatrap', (though I'm sure you'll disagree), and posts like this simply make my point
    3) I was indirectly called out by one of you as 'only caring about racism', yet when I don't participate on topic in a thread about racism ( which is more than sufficiently condemned by those that did) - I'm condemned for NOT talking about racism by others.

The illogic, and the hypocrisy, are all yours.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-03-2021, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Let's see, I'm vaguely being accused of being hypocritical by not responding to this thread and every reason I've given for not wanting to participate is taken as proof of guilt.

I'm thinking maybe it's you that either doesn't know what it means or you just don't like me using the term.
    There's nothing vague here at all. Rather, you are being explicitly called out for something you have actually done, or in this case not done, which is your inexplicable refusal to openly condemn the racist attacks by your fellow liberals against a black Republican. I honestly have no idea why you think this is somehow a kafkatrap, or why you suddenly find condemning racism to be distasteful.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    I only read about 1 thread in 4, and respond in fewer than half of those.

My view that US conservatives are so deeply deeply racist that they are generally beyond talking to on the issue. If it helps you sleep at night to pretend a few liberals are a little bit racist too, I guess that's understandable. I doubt I'll respond further to this absurd thread.
    Denial

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You have no idea what a kafkatrap is. A kafkatrap, briefly, is when a person is vaguely accused of something, and his denials are seen as proof of guilt. You can read more about the fallacy at the following link:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122

But that's not what is happening here. Rather, you're being asked if you will condemn the left's racist smears of Senator Tim Scott, and instead of simply doing so, you act like it's some of strange rhetorical trap. It honestly leaves me scratching my head.
    Let's see, I'm vaguely being accused of being hypocritical by not responding to this thread and every reason I've given for not wanting to participate is taken as proof of guilt.

I'm thinking maybe it's you that either doesn't know what it means or you just don't like me using the term.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    So you realized the implications of what you said and are now seeking an egress
    I quoted your comment and I also agreed that there are some who are not.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Dimbulb View Post

My view that US conservatives are so deeply deeply racist that they are generally beyond talking to on the issue. If it helps you sleep at night to pretend a few liberals are a little bit racist too, I guess that's understandable. I doubt I'll respond further to this absurd thread.
    Always interesting to see what the view is like from liberal fantasy land.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

So Kafka trap then...
    You have no idea what a kafkatrap is. A kafkatrap, briefly, is when a person is vaguely accused of something, and his denials are seen as proof of guilt. You can read more about the fallacy at the following link:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122

But that's not what is happening here. Rather, you're being asked if you will condemn the left's racist smears of Senator Tim Scott, and instead of simply doing so, you act like it's some of strange rhetorical trap. It honestly leaves me scratching my head.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-03-2021, 08:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

What was sarcasm in the OP of this thread?

What is even baseline sarcastic out of the following starting position?

Did you read the posts following your op

Sometimes there is nothing that can be said that will result in useful discussion of a topic. Sometimes when multiple threads take on that characteristic at the same time, one must chose which ones to engage. And since I was already engaged or had engaged other threads on the topic of racism, sometimes one more is too much.

Now ask yourself why you will not allow for the possibility I just had reached my limit wrt hostile and derogatory comments about who I am wrt the topic of racism and decided I would simply not engage this thread as a result of the sum of all the negative elements we have here discussed, as opposed to some nefarious hypocrisy, such as wanting to excuse this action, which I do not.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-03-2021, 08:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I agreed that there are some who are not. I am not entirely sure where you got your " likely a couple dozen" figure from. . I was simply acknowledging that not every homophobe is necessarily a closet gay.
    So you realized the implications of what you said and are now seeking an egress

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Er, we might want to make an exception for nieces and nephews, if any.

Otherwise,

EGGcellent point!

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Your handle us civil discourse. Is civil discourse possible if one distorts what the other person is saying? I said extreme sarcasm wrt the starting position of this thread. When dealing with people lodged in the bitterness of such extreme sarcasm, rational, civil discourse is almost always not possible. I chose not to engage on that basis. It is difficult enough to keep a conversation civil in this forum when its starting point is not based on bitter sarcasm.
    What was sarcasm in the OP of this thread?

What is even baseline sarcastic out of the following starting position?

After giving a response speech to Bidens speech before an empty session of congress, Tim Scott was met with cries of "uncle tim".

"Uncle tim" is a play on the racial slur uncle tom.

It trended on Twitter for half a day before being censored. MSNBC defended the slur.

Open racism

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied

Its not extreme to see a black man being attacked based on the color of his skin.
    Your handle is civil discourse. Is civil discourse possible if one distorts what the other person is saying? I said extreme sarcasm wrt the starting position of this thread. When dealing with people lodged in the bitterness of such extreme sarcasm, rational, civil discourse is almost always not possible. I chose not to engage on that basis. It is difficult enough to keep a conversation civil in this forum when its starting point is not based on bitter sarcasm.

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-03-2021, 06:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Good.

Since you agree that for every one who turned out to be gay or bi there are a couple dozen who aren't, then we are looking at 1 in 24 or less than 5% of their numbers.
    I agreed that there are some who are not. I am not entirely sure where you got your " likely a couple dozen" figure from. . I was simply acknowledging that not every homophobe is necessarily a closet gay.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    It'll be interesting to see if Starlight or Ox show up in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

The problem here has more to with denying that I could be averse to entering a thread that began at as extreme a point of cynicism as this one did. You are ascribing cause based on false assumptions regarding why I would choose to avoid this thread.
    Its not extreme to see a black man being attacked based on the color of his skin.

Leave a comment: