Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Not so hidden racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Dimbulb View Post
    Even worse - shaped by a dozen years of reading comments from people like you on TWeb. No wonder I have a dismal view of America!
    If your views were really shaped by intelligent and informed people like me then you wouldn't be so ignorant about American culture, history, and politics.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You're talking to a guy whose views of the United States are shaped in large part by what he sees on YouTube.
    Even worse - shaped by a dozen years of reading comments from people like you on TWeb. No wonder I have a dismal view of America!

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Time and time again we've all seen what a mixed up, muddled up, shook up view that you have of the U.S. and how that view is effectively worth even less than a plugged nickel.

In your world a conservative are all "so deeply deeply racist" just by virtue of being a conservative whereas no matter how much documentation gets dropped in your lap, you have to "pretend a few liberals are a little bit racist too."

What exactly IS the color in the world you inhabit?
    You're talking to a guy whose views of the United States are shaped in large part by what he sees on YouTube.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Can you please define 'some'?
    Just as rogue cannot justify his comment "likely a couple dozen", no I can't. We are both hazarding guesses without any reliable data to support our remarks.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Yes. And he will simply turn around and attack you for "attacking" him. It's his pattern.
    Simply not true mossrose.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    I only read about 1 thread in 4, and respond in fewer than half of those.

My view that US conservatives are so deeply deeply racist that they are generally beyond talking to on the issue. If it helps you sleep at night to pretend a few liberals are a little bit racist too, I guess that's understandable. I doubt I'll respond further to this absurd thread.
    Time and time again we've all seen what a mixed up, muddled up, shook up view that you have of the U.S. and how that view is effectively worth even less than a plugged nickel.

In your world a conservative are all "so deeply deeply racist" just by virtue of being a conservative whereas no matter how much documentation gets dropped in your lap, you have to "pretend a few liberals are a little bit racist too."

What exactly IS the color in the world you inhabit?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I quoted your comment and I also agreed that there are some who are not.
    Can you please define 'some'?

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Stop whining. All you had to do to win this round was uncategoriccally condemn the racism and leave it at that. You lost the instant you started the defensiveness.

You're not even addressing the criticism - your selective condemnations make it look like you're using racism as a political tool. So stop the pity party and figure out a winning strategy. This was totally winnable. You just knocked over the board instead of playing fair.
    Yes. And he will simply turn around and attack you for "attacking" him. It's his pattern.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    This is the closest I could find to a condemnation:

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I have no problem condemning attacks against a black man. I'm not sure insults from a black person to a black person can be properly called 'racism', but referencing a person as 'uncle Tim/tom' has never been nor is it now a useful or appropriate thing to say.

I am wondering about the old virtue signaling thing though. Sounds like I'm getting ready to be hauled up on charges of hypocrisy or some such if I don't run in here and condemn this. But isn't that just sorta demanding I say the thing you want to hear - and isn't that what the whole virtue signaling thing is all about?

Or maybe its a Kafka Trap and I'm condemned no matter what I say?
    So first you say you have no problem with condemning racism, but then you don't actually condemn it. On the contrary, you try to excuse the attacks on Tim Scott because they supposedly came from another black person, as if that makes it okay and despite the fact that plenty of white liberals have gotten in on it. Then you launched into a bizarre rant about "virtue signaling". In a subsequent post, when asked to unequivocally condemn the racism against Senator Scott, you accused CivilDiscourse of laying a kafkatrap.

​​​​​ Again, I don't know why you suddenly find it a distasteful thing to clearly and unequivocally condemn racism from your fellow liberals, or why you think you would trap yourself if you did do. If this was coming from the Trump camp, you would be howling condemnations until you were hoarse.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-03-2021, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    I've condemned it.
    Have you?

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Stop whining. All you had to do to win this round was uncategoriccally condemn the racism and leave it at that. You lost the instant you started the defensiveness.

You're not even addressing the criticism - your selective condemnations make it look like you're using racism as a political tool. So stop the pity party and figure out a winning strategy. This was totally winnable. You just knocked over the board instead of playing fair.
    whining?

And I rest my case as to why I had no desire to participate in this thread. Thank you for you contribution.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Yeah - the games you play.

1) I've condemned it
    2) I've said I didn't want to participate in this thread because it is a 'damned if you do/damned if you don't situation', another name for a 'kafkatrap', and posts like this simply make my point
    3) I was indirectly called out by one of you as 'only caring about racism', yet when I don't participate in a thread about racism - I'm condemned for NOT participating by others.

The illogic, and the hypocrisy, are all yours

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

You have no idea what a kafkatrap is. A kafkatrap, briefly, is when a person is vaguely accused of something, and his denials are seen as proof of guilt. You can read more about the fallacy at the following link:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122

But that's not what is happening here. Rather, you're being asked if you will condemn the left's racist smears of Senator Tim Scott, and instead of simply doing so, you act like it's some of strange rhetorical trap. It honestly leaves me scratching my head.
    If the left owns any demonstrable racism they lose their moral high ground, and with it, the entire argument. They're having to resort to the systemic racism boogeyman who is never seen in the light of day. We can point to concrete instances of indisputable racism coming primarily from their side. For a group that argues narrative instead of reality, it's a no win situation.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    There's nothing vague here at all. Rather, you are being explicitly called out for something you have actually done, or in this case not done, which is your inexplicable refusal to openly condemn the racist attacks by your fellow liberals against a black Republican. I honestly have no idea why you think this is somehow a kafkatrap, or why you suddenly find condemning racism to be distasteful.

It's probably more a case of of "defending the herd". To condemn political allies of anything is to attack your own herd. So even if the racism is apparent to Ox, I doubt he will admit it or condemn it.

Leave a comment: