Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Not so hidden racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

I've been meaning to respond to this kind of post you've made recently for a while, Ox.

You've made a number of posts recently calling for civility, kindness to other posters, etc Which I agree with. The issue I have is that you have a history of being very uncivil and unkind to other posters - calling people 'racist', and saying that they are speaking the words of demons, that kind of thing. So when you say "But the Spirit of Christ is not in bitter sarcasm, nor is it found in demonizing groups of people, or in making sure the person we don't like, or whose views we don't like, knows how much we despise them, or their opinions." I agree those are fine words, and what we should do, but I wonder if you've engaged in any self-reflection about your past behaviour.

(BTW, I think Teal is right, there was a 'winning' approach you could have adopted here, as she suggested)

Yes. He continues to accuses all who disagree with him on certain topics of what he himself is guilty of.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

How good of you to be so kind and polite to Laura while attacking the rest of us on the same breath. Thank you for proving my comment to her to BE true.

The only attack is your own mossrose.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

The only attack is your own mossrose.
        Take the log out of your own eye, oxmixmudd.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

I've been meaning to respond to this kind of post you've made recently for a while, Ox.

You've made a number of posts recently calling for civility, kindness to other posters, etc Which I agree with. The issue I have is that you have a history of being very uncivil and unkind to other posters - calling people 'racist', and saying that they are speaking the words of demons, that kind of thing. So when you say "But the Spirit of Christ is not in bitter sarcasm, nor is it found in demonizing groups of people, or in making sure the person we don't like, or whose views we don't like, knows how much we despise them, or their opinions." I agree those are fine words, and what we should do, but I wonder if you've engaged in any self-reflection about your past behaviour.

(BTW, I think Teal is right, there was a 'winning' approach you could have adopted here, as she suggested)
          I have engaged in self-reflection about my past behavior Max. And I am very unhappy with it. In spite of the fact I feel much of it was provoked, it was still a horrible way to behave, and something that has brought shame to my Lord and my own claim to follow Him. But I am no longer returning insult for insult or giving in to frustration and anger by lashing out at people. So if you agree with the sentiment I express, I am glad you do. And indeed, you have been responding to my posts in a mode that is consistent with agreeing with what I have said - and I thank you for it.

As for your opinion about what could have led to a positive outcome for me in this thread. Yes, I could have jumped in and said 'that was horrible' and perhaps have avoided some initial hostility - but it would not have lasted long. This entire thread is deep in sarcasm and bitterness, and is about trying to pin hypocrisy on those that have called out racism in other areas. And the moment I expressed any opinion even mildly divergent to that, it would have gone exactly as it did. This thread especially is not a place where differences of opinion can be discussed with civility.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Yes. He continues to accuses all who disagree with him on certain topics of what he himself is guilty of.
            Again, that is simply false. There is no need to spill you bile upon me mossrose - even if I am guilty. It is especially bad for your own soul, because you know that is not God's desire for you that you would do that or give place to that. I am not sure what thing I did that has deeply wounded you so that you feel the need to continue in this way - but I do ask your forgiveness for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

All you had to do was unequivocally condemn the racism being espoused by liberals, but instead you excused it because it was supposedly coming from a black person, claimed that condemning racism is "virtue signaling" despite your loud condemnations whenever you can direct your ire at conservatives, and claimed that being asked to condemn racism in this instance was a "kafkatrap".

Apparently you prefer delivering self-righteous sermons rather than simply calling out your own.
              I never excused it Mountain Man. I questioned whether insults from one black person to another can be called racism. That is the label for the wrong, not whether or not it was a wrong. As for 'self-righteous', I know what I said does not come from an sense I am better than anyone else. But it does come from a great sense of sadness that the sorts of bile that is leveled against one another here can be even loosely seen as somehow the result of what Faith in Christ brings into the world.

Comment

I have engaged in self-reflection about my past behavior Max. And I am very unhappy with it. In spite of the fact I feel much of it was provoked, it was still a horrible way to behave, and something that has brought shame to my Lord and my own claim to follow Him. But I am no longer returning insult for insult or giving in to frustration and anger by lashing out at people. So if you agree with the sentiment I express, I am glad you do. And indeed, you have been responding to my posts in a mode that is consistent with agreeing with what I have said - and I thank you for it.

As for your opinion about what could have led to a positive outcome for me in this thread. Yes, I could have jumped in and said 'that was horrible' and perhaps have avoided some initial hostility - but it would not have lasted long. This entire thread is deep in sarcasm and bitterness, and is about trying to pin hypocrisy on those that have called out racism in other areas. And the moment I expressed any opinion even mildly divergent to that, it would have gone exactly as it did. This thread especially is not a place where differences of opinion can be discussed with civility.
                And yet, you jumped head first into Shuny's thread on Q-anon. You should easily know by now that threads by Shuny are not places where differences of opinion can be discussed civilly. For example:

If there is anything that shows the depravity of the situation with Mr. Trump, it is that so many of his supporters are linked in the QAnon hoax and nutters. It is mass delusion, and DT is fine with it, since they see him as their 'savior'.

The issue is not QAnon per se. We've had moon landing deniers, holocaust deniers, the illuminatti, 911 conspiracists, JFK shooting conspiracists etc etc etc

The issue is the widespread adoption of QAnon by a large contingent of GOP members, usually stanch Trump supporters, his refusal to speak against the conspiracy itself and call it what it is, and their close association with not just members of the GOP, but elected officials in the GOP. QAnon is not just nuttery, it's on the fast track to becoming institutionalized nutteryand it is gaining access to real power.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

And yet, you jumped head first into Shuny's thread on Q-anon. You should easily know by now that threads by Shuny are not places where differences of opinion can be discussed civilly. For example:

I was talking about direct attacks on the people I am talking to on this site in my posts. I was not talking about expressing opinions of QAnon or persons that have adopted what I see are 'crazy' beliefs.

Saying that the situation with Trump is depraved I think is accurate. We are talking about a person steeped in lies and that is drawing more and more people into his delusions, it is a serious and difficult situation. The connection to QAnon itself is baffling, but is at the same time quite immoral - hence depraved.

BUT - wrt my use of nutters and nuttery wrt QAnon believers (people), you do have a point in that I should probably be more gracious in discussing that sort of a situation.
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-04-2021, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I never excused it Mountain Man. I questioned whether insults from one black person to another can be called racism.
                    When a black person is being attacked for being "too white", or "not black enough", it doesn't matter who said it -- it's racist. Why can you not see that? Why hide behind all these pseudo-philosophical excuses?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• To answer the question for those that might care: it doesn't matter why I didn't see it. What matters is that until I see something as true, I can't agree with it.

Perhaps going along with the crowd is how some people live, but it is not how I live.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        To answer the question for those that might care: it doesn't matter why I didn't see it. What matters is that until I see something as true, I can't agree with it.

Perhaps going along with the crowd is how some people live, but it is not how I live.
                        And, as I said earlier. What is interesting is watching the pattern of when you don't see it. It's almost....systemic

Comment

I never excused it Mountain Man. I questioned whether insults from one black person to another can be called racism.
                          In other words, you excused racism.

Oh, but I do like how you softened it to mere "insults" as if someone told him his haircut was stupid. No, calling him "Uncle Tim" is clearly a racist remark intended to belittle someone with black skin.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Again, that is simply false. There is no need to spill you bile upon me mossrose - even if I am guilty. It is especially bad for your own soul, because you know that is not God's desire for you that you would do that or give place to that. I am not sure what thing I did that has deeply wounded you so that you feel the need to continue in this way - but I do ask your forgiveness for it.
                            You have done nothing that you need MY forgiveness for. But you DO need to see your own "spillage of bile" upon everyone who disagrees with you or calls you out on your consistent behaviour.

Having said that, I will leave you to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              In other words, you excused racism.

Oh, but I do like how you softened it to mere "insults" as if someone told him his haircut was stupid. No, calling him "Uncle Tim" is clearly a racist remark intended to belittle someone with black skin.
                              It seems awfully convenient that he just ignores the often cited "internalized racism" that is supposed to be so prevalent these days as a possibility as to how a black person insulting black person could be the result of racism.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

And, as I said earlier. What is interesting is watching the pattern of when you don't see it. It's almost....systemic
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment