Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Not so hidden racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll be interesting to see if Starlight or Ox show up in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Not all that long ago virtually any time anyone said something "derogatory" about gays the left would insinuate that person was probably a closeted gay and full of self-loathing.
      Yet several vocal American anti-gay activists were caught In flagrante delicto or turned out to be gay/bi. The names Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, Glenn Murphy Jnr, Ed Schrock, Larry Craig, and Roy Ashburn [to name just a few] come to mind.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
        It'll be interesting to see if Starlight or Ox show up in this thread.
        Look what you done did!!!! You mention them, and look who shows up!!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          Yet several vocal American anti-gay activists were caught In flagrante delicto or turned out to be gay/bi. The names Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, Glenn Murphy Jnr, Ed Schrock, Larry Craig, and Roy Ashburn [to name just a few] come to mind.
          And numerous liberals/progressives have been caught saying absurdly racist stuff. So what point did you think you were making here?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
            So what point did you think you were making here?
            Merely commenting on rogue06's remarks about the "closeted gay" and some very vocal anti gay activists.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

But for everyone of those there was likely a couple dozen who weren't.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It's funny. I've often said that what you use as insults tells people what you see as "lesser".
                That's true. I hadn't really thought about that before.

Comment

Merely commenting on rogue06's remarks about the "closeted gay" and some very vocal anti gay activists.
                  I know that you were commenting on the remarks. I asked what point you thought you were making with those comments about rogue06s remarks. I also said more, but you selectively edited the rest out of my post......

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    But for everyone of those there was likely a couple dozen who weren't.
                    Oh I am not disputing that. I simply gave a few names of individuals who have railed publicly against the "abominations" of homosexuality [invariably sodomy] and have then been caught out by their own behaviour.

I suspect that for men like that those mentioned [and various others of the same ilk] there is a degree of self loathing and self hatred; and while I find the "outing" of such intolerant individuals amusing, it is also rather tragic. Namely, that because of the repressive societies in which these men [and others like them] grew up they felt compelled to repress and deny their own sexuality and could only be themselves clandestinely.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I know that you were commenting on the remarks. I asked what point you thought you were making with those comments about rogue06s remarks. I also said more, but you selectively edited the rest out of my post......
                      You can read my reply to rogue06. As for your remark that "And numerous liberals/progressives have been caught saying absurdly racist stuff" you could do what I did and provide some examples in support of your observation.

Edited to add:

Always bearing in mind as rogue06 pointed out "But for everyone of those there was likely a couple dozen who weren't." In other words, a few examples cannot be used to generalise about an entire group.
                      Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 05-02-2021, 05:16 AM.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You can read my reply to rogue06. As for your remark that "And numerous liberals/progressives have been caught saying absurdly racist stuff" you could do what I did and provide some examples in support of your observation.

Edited to add:

Always bearing in mind as rogue06 pointed out "But for everyone of those there was likely a couple dozen who weren't." In other words, a few examples cannot be used to generalise about an entire group.
                        I don't think this is a productive line of questioning. In context "being gay" is a rather simple binary question of men having/attempting to have sexual encounters with other men. "Racist" on the other hand always ends up being in the eye of the beholder.

I have no doubt that a list can be provided to you. The op is a general example of what you are asking. But, I do not expect you to take any answer given to you, and instead excuse or dismiss, followed for demands for more answers.

If thats your game plan, you are a waste of space and can leave now.

I will not debate this post with you.

Comment

Oh I am not disputing that.
                          Good.

Since you agree that for every one who turned out to be gay or bi there are a couple dozen who aren't, then we are looking at 1 in 24 or less than 5% of their numbers.

Coincidentally, that's also roughly the percentage of gays in the general population. IOW, there is absolutely nothing to the old wives' tale that folks who are outspoken in their opposition to homosexuality tend to be closet gays since there isn't a higher percentage of gays in that group than the general population.

Thanks for playing

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm a born and bred Southerner. Had I ever said the kind of thing that those jerks were tweeting I'd still be spitting up soap. If I'd said it where the gentleman could hear me, I'd have been forced to apologize and THEN Daddy would have torn up my backside!

Who's raising these slime bags, anyway?
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              I'm a born and bred Southerner. Had I ever said the kind of thing that those jerks were tweeting I'd still be spitting up soap. If I'd said it where the gentleman could hear me, I'd have been forced to apologize and THEN Daddy would have torn up my backside!

Who's raising these slime bags, anyway?
                              We will never experience a shortage in morons. And no side has a monopoly on them.

For instance, the imbecile at an IHOP harassing four soldiers in uniform started accusing them of being BLM and other things (language warning for link)

Comment

You can read my reply to rogue06.
                                So you didn't actually have a point. Got it.
                                As for your remark that "And numerous liberals/progressives have been caught saying absurdly racist stuff" you could do what I did and provide some examples in support of your observation.
                                Like...... read the bloody OP??? And look at pretty much anything that comes out of Joe Biden's mouth....... Or Hillary's......

Comment