Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Not so hidden racism

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Even worse - shaped by a dozen years of reading comments from people like you on TWeb. No wonder I have a dismal view of America!
    You make your views of America based on interactions on a political forum from the internet?

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
      You make your views of America based on interactions on a political forum from the internet?
      That, and thousands and thousands of hours of YouTube videos.
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        Even worse - shaped by a dozen years of reading comments from people like you on TWeb. No wonder I have a dismal view of America!
        Is this your excuse for why you get virtually everything wrong when you seek to pontificate on virtually anything regarding the U.S.? I mean it certainly wasn't from here that you got the bizarre notion that it is illegal here for a CEO not to try to make a profit (or something equally outlandish) or that by occasionally controlling the state Senate, but neither the Assembly or governorship for decades, that Republicans are in charge of New York. No, those buckets full of ignorance you brought here. And I'm sure others could add other incidents aside from the two I can provide off the top of my head.

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Is this your excuse for why you get virtually everything wrong when you seek to pontificate on virtually anything regarding the U.S.? I mean it certainly wasn't from here that you got the bizarre notion that it is illegal here for a CEO not to try to make a profit (or something equally outlandish) or that by occasionally controlling the state Senate, but neither the Assembly or governorship for decades, that Republicans are in charge of New York. No, those buckets full of ignorance you brought here. And I'm sure others could add other incidents aside from the two I can provide off the top of my head.
          But occasionally I read a post from him that makes perfect sense! So I read it a couple more times to make sure...
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

            You make your views of America based on interactions on a political forum from the internet?
            It reminds me of Plato's description of trying to grasp reality by only observing shadows cast on a cave wall. Or was that Socrates?

            I'm always still in trouble again

            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              It reminds me of Plato's description of trying to grasp reality by only observing shadows cast on a cave wall. Or was that Socrates?
              Ask Star or H_A - one of them will know.
              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                It reminds me of Plato's description of trying to grasp reality by only observing shadows cast on a cave wall. Or was that Socrates?
                Yes? The cave was part of Plato's republic, which (at a bare minimum) used Socrates as a framing device.

                As a note, at this point the fact that The Matrix used philosophy is fairly well known. I believe there's a part after Neo takes the red pill and wakes up where he says "My eyes hurt" that is a direct allusion to The Cave.
                Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 05-04-2021, 07:07 AM.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                  But occasionally I read a post from him that makes perfect sense! So I read it a couple more times to make sure...
                  Stopped watch and all that. Even if he's only right 0.01% of the time, that means that given over 11,200 posts he'd have at least 11 that weren't completely wrong


                  I should note that I think star is correct more than 0.01% of the time. But his attempts to discuss the U.S. keep bringing his average down to 1% or lower.

                  I'm always still in trouble again

                  "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Stopped watch and all that. Even if he's only right 0.01% of the time, that means that given over 11,200 posts he'd have at least 11 that weren't completely wrong


                    I should note that I think star is correct more than 0.01% of the time. But his attempts to discuss the U.S. keep bringing his average down to 1% or lower.
                    He can be downright civil, like when posting about his own country.

                    But when, for example, he went off on my comment about Texas being "in session" every other hear, I explained very politely that he was wrong, but I could understand why he would think that.
                    From that, he simply doesn't return.
                    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Stop whining. All you had to do to win this round was uncategoriccally condemn the racism and leave it at that. You lost the instant you started the defensiveness.

                      You're not even addressing the criticism - your selective condemnations make it look like you're using racism as a political tool. So stop the pity party and figure out a winning strategy. This was totally winnable. You just knocked over the board instead of playing fair.
                      Teal,

                      Thank you for at least keeping things mostly civil. You are right in one sense. I did not want to deal with the bile that would come if I played the game in this thread. That is why I stayed away from it for a while. I was engaged in other threads and have limited time.

                      You are wrong in assuming there was a 'winning' response from me.

                      I have a choice to make. I can continue to allow the hate and bile that fills this place to be a part of my life, or I can move on. I had thought if I never responded in anger or never returned insult for insult I could perhaps make a difference here. But it is becoming clearer each day that is not the case.

                      This is not Jesus. What is spoken here from Christians is not what is listed in galatians 5:20 or 1 corinthians13. for those that post here and are not Christian, what fills these pages from Christians is often exactly what they expect to see - proof that believing in Christ makes little difference other than to make people believe they are better than others.

                      And that simply isn't true. the change that Christ brings is world changing - if we will but let the Spirit of God live in us and speak through us.

                      I encourage you to find His voice here instead of your own.. that really is,, I think, what He'd have us be here. But the Spirit of Christ is not in bitter sarcasm, nor is it found in demonizing groups of people, or in making sure the person we don't like, or whose views we don't like, knows how much we despise them, or their opinions.

                      May God fill you with His grace and mercy. May God deliver us from hatred, and hardness of heart. May God show all of us who He really is, and how to best be His ambassadors in a lost and dying world.
                      Mockery is the argument of the mentally and/or emotionally challenged.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                          Teal,

                          Thank you for at least keeping things mostly civil. You are right in one sense. I did not want to deal with the bile that would come if I played the game in this thread. That is why I stayed away from it for a while. I was engaged in other threads and have limited time.

                          You are wrong in assuming there was a 'winning' response from me.

                          I have a choice to make. I can continue to allow the hate and bile that fills this place to be a part of my life, or I can move on. I had thought if I never responded in anger or never returned insult for insult I could perhaps make a difference here. But it is becoming clearer each day that is not the case.

                          This is not Jesus. What is spoken here from Christians is not what is listed in galatians 5:20 or 1 corinthians13. for those that post here and are not Christian, what fills these pages from Christians is often exactly what they expect to see - proof that believing in Christ makes little difference other than to make people believe they are better than others.

                          And that simply isn't true. the change that Christ brings is world changing - if we will but let the Spirit of God live in us and speak through us.

                          I encourage you to find His voice here instead of your own.. that really is,, I think, what He'd have us be here. But the Spirit of Christ is not in bitter sarcasm, nor is it found in demonizing groups of people, or in making sure the person we don't like, or whose views we don't like, knows how much we despise them, or their opinions.

                          May God fill you with His grace and mercy. May God deliver us from hatred, and hardness of heart. May God show all of us who He really is, and how to best be His ambassadors in a lost and dying world.
                          All you had to do was unequivocally condemn the racism being espoused by liberals, but instead you excused it because it was supposedly coming from a black person, claimed that condemning racism is "virtue signaling" despite your loud condemnations whenever you can direct your ire at conservatives, and claimed that being asked to condemn racism in this instance was a "kafkatrap".

                          Apparently you prefer delivering self-righteous sermons rather than simply calling out your own.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God


                          From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                            Teal,

                            Thank you for at least keeping things mostly civil. You are right in one sense. I did not want to deal with the bile that would come if I played the game in this thread. That is why I stayed away from it for a while. I was engaged in other threads and have limited time.

                            You are wrong in assuming there was a 'winning' response from me.

                            I have a choice to make. I can continue to allow the hate and bile that fills this place to be a part of my life, or I can move on. I had thought if I never responded in anger or never returned insult for insult I could perhaps make a difference here. But it is becoming clearer each day that is not the case.

                            This is not Jesus. What is spoken here from Christians is not what is listed in galatians 5:20 or 1 corinthians13. for those that post here and are not Christian, what fills these pages from Christians is often exactly what they expect to see - proof that believing in Christ makes little difference other than to make people believe they are better than others.

                            And that simply isn't true. the change that Christ brings is world changing - if we will but let the Spirit of God live in us and speak through us.

                            I encourage you to find His voice here instead of your own.. that really is,, I think, what He'd have us be here. But the Spirit of Christ is not in bitter sarcasm, nor is it found in demonizing groups of people, or in making sure the person we don't like, or whose views we don't like, knows how much we despise them, or their opinions.

                            May God fill you with His grace and mercy. May God deliver us from hatred, and hardness of heart. May God show all of us who He really is, and how to best be His ambassadors in a lost and dying world.

                            How good of you to be so kind and polite to Laura while attacking the rest of us on the same breath. Thank you for proving my comment to her to BE true.




                            Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

                              Teal,

                              Thank you for at least keeping things mostly civil. You are right in one sense. I did not want to deal with the bile that would come if I played the game in this thread. That is why I stayed away from it for a while. I was engaged in other threads and have limited time.

                              You are wrong in assuming there was a 'winning' response from me.

                              I have a choice to make. I can continue to allow the hate and bile that fills this place to be a part of my life, or I can move on. I had thought if I never responded in anger or never returned insult for insult I could perhaps make a difference here. But it is becoming clearer each day that is not the case.

                              This is not Jesus. What is spoken here from Christians is not what is listed in galatians 5:20 or 1 corinthians13. for those that post here and are not Christian, what fills these pages from Christians is often exactly what they expect to see - proof that believing in Christ makes little difference other than to make people believe they are better than others.

                              And that simply isn't true. the change that Christ brings is world changing - if we will but let the Spirit of God live in us and speak through us.

                              I encourage you to find His voice here instead of your own.. that really is,, I think, what He'd have us be here. But the Spirit of Christ is not in bitter sarcasm, nor is it found in demonizing groups of people, or in making sure the person we don't like, or whose views we don't like, knows how much we despise them, or their opinions.

                              May God fill you with His grace and mercy. May God deliver us from hatred, and hardness of heart. May God show all of us who He really is, and how to best be His ambassadors in a lost and dying world.


                              I've been meaning to respond to this kind of post you've made recently for a while, Ox.

                              You've made a number of posts recently calling for civility, kindness to other posters, etc Which I agree with. The issue I have is that you have a history of being very uncivil and unkind to other posters - calling people 'racist', and saying that they are speaking the words of demons, that kind of thing. So when you say "But the Spirit of Christ is not in bitter sarcasm, nor is it found in demonizing groups of people, or in making sure the person we don't like, or whose views we don't like, knows how much we despise them, or their opinions." I agree those are fine words, and what we should do, but I wonder if you've engaged in any self-reflection about your past behaviour.



                              (BTW, I think Teal is right, there was a 'winning' approach you could have adopted here, as she suggested)
                              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by MaxVel View Post



                                I've been meaning to respond to this kind of post you've made recently for a while, Ox.

                                You've made a number of posts recently calling for civility, kindness to other posters, etc Which I agree with. The issue I have is that you have a history of being very uncivil and unkind to other posters - calling people 'racist', and saying that they are speaking the words of demons, that kind of thing. So when you say "But the Spirit of Christ is not in bitter sarcasm, nor is it found in demonizing groups of people, or in making sure the person we don't like, or whose views we don't like, knows how much we despise them, or their opinions." I agree those are fine words, and what we should do, but I wonder if you've engaged in any self-reflection about your past behaviour.



                                (BTW, I think Teal is right, there was a 'winning' approach you could have adopted here, as she suggested)
                                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by NorrinRadd, Today, 12:06 PM
                                1 response
                                27 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post Backup
                                by Backup
                                 
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 06:43 AM
                                19 responses
                                118 views
                                2 likes
                                Last Post Gondwanaland  
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 06:27 AM
                                14 responses
                                59 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                                Started by seer, 06-17-2021, 11:25 AM
                                7 responses
                                72 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post oxmixmudd  
                                Started by oxmixmudd, 06-17-2021, 11:16 AM
                                64 responses
                                402 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post Ronson
                                by Ronson
                                 
                                Working...
                                X